The Smiths songs about places in Manchester

Josh-H

Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could help!

I'm looking at compiling an interactive map of all of the places mentioned in Smiths songs.

Has anyone got a definitive list? Otherwise maybe we could all try to compile one?

Not many Smiths songs mention actual places in Manchester. Miserable Lie mentions Whalley Range. Rusholme Ruffians. The Holy Name Church (Oxford Road) is mentioned in Vicar In A Tutu. Think that might be about it. Manchester itself is mentioned in Suffer Little Children and The Headmaster Ritual. There are locations that might be assumed to feature in songs even though they are not mentioned by name. For example, Southern Cemetery (Cemetry Gates), St Mary's High School (Headmaster Ritual) and Belle Vue gardens (Paint A Vulgar Picture).

Hope that helps a bit more than telling you to buy a book.

Last edited:
morrissey's manchester: the essential smiths tour by phill gatenby would probably help you. you can get it on amazon.

I was going to mention this book. There is everything you need in there.
While you wait for the delivery, here's something to start : http://www.staycity.com/blog/category-manchester/the-smiths-places-in-manchester/

Cornflakes summed it up pretty well. I am also thinking Strangeways (prison) and the iron bridge (Still ill) but there aren't many specific places mentioned indeed.

No many Smiths songs mention actual places in Manchester. Miserable Lie mentions Whalley Range. Rusholme Ruffians. The Holy Name Church (Oxford Road) is mentioned in Vicar In A Tutu. Think that might be about it. Manchester itself is mentioned in Suffer Little Children and The Headmaster Ritual. There are locations that might be assumed to feature in songs even though they are not mentioned by name. For example, Southern Cemetery (Cemetry Gates), St Mary's High School (Headmaster Ritual) and Belle Vue gardens (Paint A Vulgar Picture).

Hope that helps a bit more than telling you to buy a book.

:lbf:

No, sorry for being snippy.

I have that book and I don't really think it's a great investment. But you weren't to know what the next person on the thread would think of the book you recommended.

Back
Top Bottom