MSN Say Morrissey Is Overrated

I actually think Morrissey is pretty underrated considering the lack of time he receives on TV/radio compared to others, he's not as "big" as say Coldplay or U2. There's many other artists that deserved to be placed on that list. They also put John Lennon on it!!! :confused:

Both of them are more overrated than Morrissey ever will be.

I can see John Lennon, too.

But Morrissey??

Maybe the person got confused with that Morrissey is overtalked about or overcontroversial. Not sure. I mean Morrissey's music certainly isn't overrated.

Both of them are more overrated than Morrissey ever will be.
I can see John Lennon, too.
But Morrissey??

Morrissey, as a 21st century recording artist, probably is over-rated. His post 2000 stuff (on average) simply ain't all that great, and he'd never have his legendary iconic status if he was to be judged on the last three albums.
But I'd say he was generally hugely under-rated in the 80's and 90's...

Morrissey, as a 21st century recording artist, probably is over-rated.

I think all rock artists, mainstream or not, are talked about a lot so you probably have a point.

His post 2000 stuff (on average) simply ain't all that great, and he'd never have his legendary iconic status if he was to be judged on the last three albums.

You Are the Quarry is an awesome album, Years of Refusal is decent but not as good, and Ringleader I've never heard.

But obviously compared to his older solo stuff it pales. Wouldn't say he's washed up yet, though.

I generally agree with what you're saying but I disagree that Morrissey is overrated. He is adored by a group of people, however compared to many other artists - who in my opinion have poorer lyrics and poorer songs - his fanbase is much smaller. Unlike his fans, I don't think that the media has placed upon him Messiah like status as they have done with say, John Lennon. You very rarely hear any of his songs played never mind any discussion of him. Personally I believe he has been one of the most talented artists in the last twenty years or so, but I don't think record sales, media coverage, airplay shows this. That's why I think he's underrated. Just my opinion though.

Interesting discussion even if we shouldn't really be caring what drivel some music "journalist" has written :lbf: How do you get a job like that? I want it, looks a cushy number :lbf:

You are actually spot-on. Thankyou, my thoughts exactly. :)

I generally agree with what you're saying but I disagree that Morrissey is overrated. He is adored by a group of people, however compared to many other artists - who in my opinion have poorer lyrics and poorer songs - his fanbase is much smaller. Unlike his fans, I don't think that the media has placed upon him Messiah like status as they have done with say, John Lennon. You very rarely hear any of his songs played never mind any discussion of him. Personally I believe he has been one of the most talented artists in the last twenty years or so, but I don't think record sales, media coverage, airplay shows this. That's why I think he's underrated. Just my opinion though.

Interesting discussion even if we shouldn't really be caring what drivel some music "journalist" has written :lbf: How do you get a job like that? I want it, looks a cushy number :lbf:

I've never really liked his stuff (Beatles or solo) but John Lennon had a musical gift as well as a singing/lyrical one. Moz isn't really a musician (which he's often said), so Lennon's gift is arguably the greater.
Moz doesn't sell many records or get much airplay but he has a ludicrously high profile in the music press. No-one has featured in as many music magazines (quotes, songs reviews, interviews etc) as Moz in the last 25 years.

The people on MSN also slated The Stone Roses too!! I think Morrissey may have been a lot better with The Smiths (after all it was with Johnny Marr, who wrote the actual jangly guitar riffs) and I'm not the biggest fan of every single song Morrissey as wrote, since I think some of the 1990s albums like Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted didn't really catch me eye at all. But Years Of Refusal has the been the best album in years and I think it's the best album for 2009, just my thoughts

Moz doesn't sell many records or get much airplay but he has a ludicrously high profile in the music press. No-one has featured in as many music magazines (quotes, songs reviews, interviews etc) as Moz in the last 25 years.

Exactly. This is why I say the rating system is broken. No reflection on the artist. It's not Morrissey's fault that a great many journalists happen to be fans.

At this rate he's going to become like The Velvet Underground and Lou Reed. For the uninitiated, it's almost impossible to enjoy the music once you get to it after wading through oceans of hype to reach it. Who among newer fans can actually enjoy Morrissey's stuff after reading things like, "He's the greatest pop lyricist ever!" The bar is set too highly by critics.

Then you have to consider that 90% of the tastemakers who are writing this crap have been raised on press-release wisdom about Morrissey. Very few of them actually believe what they're writing. You can tell that very easily. Ask anyone if Morrissey is a "Godlike Genius" and they'll nod. Ask them why and they'll scratch their heads. For the non-believers, this echo chamber has to be seriously annoying.

Last edited:
I was discussing it with my sister, and we both decided that Elvis should have been on there, and Belle and Sebastian were not mainstream enough to be overrated. However, I can see the argument of them being relatively unknown but praised too much fitting for them as well.

Back
Top Bottom