MAGNET Magazine picks the five most overrated and underrated Smiths songs

don't you mean the Beatles' Dear Prudence?

The Beatles, not Siouxsie And The Banshees.

Peter

My trite, sorry!
You two obviously didn't read my 25,000 word review of Macca's post-beatles career that i posted earlier today!
Either that or you think someone can know about Maccas post-beatles carreer and not know...

Last edited:
Oh, I love the song. But then, I'm not typically critical by nature. Whether that's good or bad, I don't know.

Everything is deep at the moment since I've been up for nearly 24 hours. I'm a little punchy at the moment, which is why, thanks to you, I now have DMX running through my head. :)

Sorry about that. And to think I was going to quote Neil Diamond instead.

things I learned in this thread:

1. Kim Wilde wrote "You Keep Me Hangin On"

2. Siouxsie wrote "Dear Prudence"

3. "HSIN?" is not overrated.

unreal.

Do agree that "Still Ill" is not underrated, I always thought it one of the more popular Smiths songs. "Vicar In a Tutu" is one of my least favorite Smiths songs (which still puts it miles above the favorite songs of other artists, I'm a firm believer that the band does not have any bad songs)

I never connected "Stop Me" with "You Keep Me Hanging On" before but I can totally hear it now. That said, Mark Ronson should be shot in the face with a cannon.

I know this is complete blasphemy, and I am a HUGE Beatles fan, but I'll be damned if Siouxsie's "Dear Prudence" isnt better than the original.

well I'm a HUGE Beatles fan too, and Dear Prudence is maybe one of the 3 or so Beatles songs that I don't like. don't like the cover either. is that blasphemy? :o

p.s. Joe Cocker's cover of "With a Little Help From my Friends" is better than the original, IMO. although his cover of "She Came In Through the Bathroom Window" is not. :thumb:

well I'm a HUGE Beatles fan too, and Dear Prudence is maybe one of the 3 or so Beatles songs that I don't like. don't like the cover either. is that blasphemy? :o

p.s. Joe Cocker's cover of "With a Little Help From my Friends" is better than the original, IMO. although his cover of "She Came In Through the Bathroom Window" is not. :thumb:

I prefer The Jam's "And Your Bird Can Sing" and Echo & The Bunnymen's "All You Need Is Love" to their originals.

I prefer The Jam's "And Your Bird Can Sing" and Echo & The Bunnymen's "All You Need Is Love" to their originals.

shit, I don't know those. :o I'll have to youtube them.

I like both Rufus Wainwright and Fiona Apple's covers of "Across the Universe" although not more than the original.

shit, I don't know those. :o I'll have to youtube them.

I like both Rufus Wainwright and Fiona Apple's covers of "Across the Universe" although not more than the original.

I don't think there are many bad Beatles covers, to be honest. A testament to the genius of Lennon-McCartney when so many of the songs hold up regardless of who sings them. There are one or two other duos in that elite category...

morrissey13.jpg

Deep as a birdbath.

Sorry but I can't stand the criticism I've read of "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now". Not yours, but MAGNET's and a few other knocks I read in reviews of The Sound of The Smiths. Makes me act the motherf***in' fool. I'd prefer they just said "It's bad" (like columbula on HSIN). I accept that a hell of a lot more readily than I do the explanations I've read as to why it sucks.

I feel a bit thick for not noticing those paradoxes in HKIMN. But w/e it's really stupid to call that majestic hymn to lifes mundane woes over-rated. He says something about Johnny's guitaring not been very good or something!! WTF!! Who'd ever had a wrist action that exquistie before that inspired rhythmic jangling, and as for the bass line, well it's just about the most beatiful in rock, perhaps the only beautiful bass line!! Tsshk!

I don't think there are many bad Beatles covers, to be honest. A testament to the genius of Lennon-McCartney when so many of the songs hold up regardless of who sings them. There are one or two other duos in that elite category...

morrissey13.jpg

what wouldve been a good Beatles song for the Smiths to cover?

p.s. Joe Cocker's cover of "With a Little Help From my Friends" is better than the original, IMO. :

I will never not think of The Wonder Years when I hear it. This is, of course,a good thing.

I feel a bit thick for not noticing those paradoxes in HKIMN. But w/e it's really stupid to call that majestic hymn to lifes mundane woes over-rated. He says something about Johnny's guitaring not been very good or something!! WTF!! Who'd ever had a wrist action that exquistie before that inspired rhythmic jangling, and as for the bass line, well it's just about the most beatiful in rock, perhaps the only beautiful bass line!! Tsshk!

Yes! Thank you! That's what I'm talking about.

And this line about work:

In my life/Why do I give valuable time/To people who don't care if I/Live or die

I'm sorry, but that line isn't Morrissey being "downbeat in his quirky little way". If that line doesn't resonate deeply within your heart you don't have one-- you're a Cylon or a Replicant or you were built by Cyberdyne Systems or somewhere on your person you have a scannable bar-code instead of a soul. Don't get me started! :guitar:

My trite, sorry!
You two obviously didn't read my 25,000 word review of Macca's post-beatles career that i posted earlier today!
Either that or you think someone can know about Maccas post-beatles carreer and not know...

you're right I didnt.

the rest of your post makes no sense. and you're banned. oh darn.

Probably obvious, but I'll go with "A Day In The Life".

What's yours?

hmmm, let me think....

what about.... "Run For Your Life?" haha

cept for the part about being with a chick, I think Morrissey could sing that pretty convincingly.

hmmm, let me think....

what about.... "Run For Your Life?" haha

cept for the part about being with a chick, I think Morrissey could sing that pretty convincingly.

That's be good.

I realize Morrissey might sound ridiculous singing the words, but I would LOVE to hear Johnny, Mike and Andy tear into "Helter Skelter". Mabye Moz could alter the lyrics a little to suit him, a la "That's Entertainment".

Is Mclenarr banned now ?

What did he do?

Back
Top Bottom