MSN Say Morrissey Is Overrated

ExpectingToFly

Just signed out of my hotmail account and seen an item on their home page about the most overrated artists of all time. Curious, I had a peek. And they've put Morrissey on the list! :confused:. To be fair they're not entirely scathing, they praise The Smiths and Viva Hate and say that he's never made a terrible record, but the author declares that he's never made a great record since, obviously forgetting about Vauxhall And I and You Are The Quarry not to mention others. They also suggest that his gigs aren't that good either.

http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/music/galleries/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=149239470&imageindex=12

I actually think Morrissey is pretty underrated considering the lack of time he receives on TV/radio compared to others, he's not as "big" as say Coldplay or U2. There's many other artists that deserved to be placed on that list. They also put John Lennon on it!!! :confused:

I'd put John Lennon there in a heartbeat.

Provoking hardcore fans is always fun. Unless you're one of them. Unless you like to provoke yourself.

These lists are there only to piss people off. That's the main motivation, I think.
It would be more honest, and more amusing, with a list called "These bands are shit, and we'll tell you why, and why their fans fans are retarded, too".

There just to be a website called "Why youre favourite band sucks". I really enjoyed it.

But these lists are getting so old.

And so am I.

I'd put John Lennon there in a heartbeat.

Provoking hardcore fans is always fun. Unless you're one of them. Unless you like to provoke yourself.

These lists are there only to piss people off. That's the main motivation, I think.
It would be more honest, and more amusing, with a list called "These bands are shit, and we'll tell you why, and why their fans fans are retarded, too".

There just to be a website called "Why youre favourite band sucks". I really enjoyed it.

But these lists are getting so old.

And so am I.

I keep on thinking that these lists serve only to get more publicity. I mean, most fans will want to know if their idol is on the list, no matter what the list is about. And then they can say "oh yeah" or "no way, f... off". It's just one person's opinion, doesn't matter at all.

I keep on thinking that these lists serve only to get more publicity. I mean, most fans will want to know if their idol is on the list, no matter what the list is about. And then they can say "oh yeah" or "no way, f... off". It's just one person's opinion, doesn't matter at all.

Yes. They are there because they attract readers/viewers/klicks. Fundamental economics, really.

i was just gonna post this up here,
what a bunch of T**ts..

i only looked at the article to see if Moz was in the most UNDERRATED bit.. :lbf:

how wrong could i be.
*blocks msn* ;)

You have to remember that "Overrated" lists are backlashes to hype that's blown way out of proportion. When bands or artists become "legendary" it's almost a sure thing that the music never lives up to the ridiculous praise heaped on it from all quarters. Saying John Lennon is overrated is just to say that, no, he wasn't in fact Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, which is what we're led to believe by the parrots in the press. The rating system is to blame, not the artist. On that basis I think Morrissey is definitely overrated.

It's not really worth a reaction, just lazy space filling on their behalf.

You have to remember that "Overrated" lists are backlashes to hype that's blown way out of proportion. When bands or artists become "legendary" it's almost a sure thing that the music never lives up to the ridiculous praise heaped on it from all quarters. Saying John Lennon is overrated is just to say that, no, he wasn't in fact Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, which is what we're led to believe by the parrots in the press. The rating system is to blame, not the artist. On that basis I think Morrissey is definitely overrated.

I got ya.

So for instance, for them to say Gilbert O'Sullivan is overrated doesn't mean anything, because no one gives a hoot about Gilbert O'Sullivan, (except of course, Mrs. O'Sullivan). But, if like the mythical David, they aim their slingshots at a music giant, they they look like heroes.

I don't know if Morrissey would be like a musical giant. Maybe more like a wooly mammoth, although he has lost weight recently. Maybe got a haircut for the summer, too. I get it.

Is that all rock journalist today know how to do is make silly lists?

P.S. Gilbert is aces in my book.
P.P.S. Children, stay away from espresso!

show yer tattoo's miss Kate Von D:highfive:

Ok!! On second thoughts...I don't have so many... :rolleyes: ;)

Morrissey is a lyrical genius, no one can doubt that. There are bands and artists who are biggeer than him, who write lyrics that even I could write while half asleep. So how could he possibly be overrated?! :confused:

But as said before, it's absolutely meaningless. Someone had to write something to fill some space on MSN.

I generally agree with what you're saying but I disagree that Morrissey is overrated. He is adored by a group of people, however compared to many other artists - who in my opinion have poorer lyrics and poorer songs - his fanbase is much smaller. Unlike his fans, I don't think that the media has placed upon him Messiah like status as they have done with say, John Lennon. You very rarely hear any of his songs played never mind any discussion of him. Personally I believe he has been one of the most talented artists in the last twenty years or so, but I don't think record sales, media coverage, airplay shows this. That's why I think he's underrated. Just my opinion though.

Interesting discussion even if we shouldn't really be caring what drivel some music "journalist" has written :lbf: How do you get a job like that? I want it, looks a cushy number :lbf:

"It's been a long career of ‘alright'. And that too would be perfectly acceptable if it weren't for the fact that Morrissey himself seems to expect, nay demand he be treated as a living legend – thinking it acceptable to ban the eating of meat at any festival he's playing at and pulling a complete hissy fit if anything (or anyone) backstage isn't to his exact specifications. We'll put down the saveloy when you stop employing session musicians to massacre your greatest hits at gigs. Deal?"

Hmmm, this has the greasy pong of a very poorly hidden agenda.

Back
Top Bottom