Love Old Moz/Hate New Moz..

Well, "Something Is Squeezing My Skull" is not "Late Night, Maudlin Street" but it's better than 99% of the rest of whatever will be released on the same day, and "All You Need Is Me" is up there with some of the best.

He's a different person now and if he went back and tried to write the same type of music he did when he was that young it wouldn't work. The good thing, in my opinion, is that he seems to be writing more about himself and less in the characters he used on ROTT, which I thought were confusing, like they were soundtracks to unreleased movies.

Who knows what some of those songs are about?

I'm not actually old enough to remember what he was like in the early 90's. I think it is almost impossible as a fan to say I dislike the new Moz. Let's don't forget that the man is nearly 50 and he's still writing GREAT songs like All You Need Is Me, Something Is Squeezing My Skull etc. I think we all have something really good to look forward to in his new album :D
I thought ROTT was a solid album, but it didn't really compare to the success of YATQ. I'm feeling really good about the new album, and CAN'T wait for it to be relased :horny:
Morrissey is like a good wine; he gets better with age! :D :D :D

This doesn't just apply to Morrissey but any artist who has been around for years

So who prefers anything done during the last 5 - 10 years from the following artists compared with what they did at their peak?

Paul Weller
The Rolling Stones
Rod Stewart:sick:
Paul McCartney
Sting
Van Morrisson
Elton John

etc etc

This doesn't just apply to Morrissey but any artist who has been around for years

So who prefers anything done during the last 5 - 10 years from the following artists compared with what they did at their peak?

Paul Weller
The Rolling Stones
Rod Stewart:sick:
Paul McCartney
Sting
Van Morrisson
Elton John

etc etc

Sorry, but apart from Paul Weller, Morrissey doesn't belong to the same age group, it's not very good examples.
I'd suggest to compare following solo artists:

Julian Cope
Edwyn Collins
Lloyd Cole
Ian Brown
Richard Ashcroft
Bernard Butler

Last edited:
Sorry, but apart from Paul Weller, Morrissey doesn't belong to the same age group, it's not very good examples.
I'd suggest to compare following solo artists:

Julian Cope
Edwyn Collins
Ian Brown
Richard Ashcroft
Bernard Butler

I apologise if my examples were not good enough for you:rolleyes:
I have just thumped myself in the face 5 times, breaking my nose in the process. I hope you accept this as my punishment for failing you?

Well, this may shock you but Viva Hate, Kill uncle and Maladjusted are JUST not my fav albums. I love Vauxhall, QUARRY, YOUR ARSENAL.

I liked ROTT as well-I thought that change was a good thing and I believe he was writting about himself (as ever) only as a mature, living and enjoying Rome , MOZ so it had to be naturally different from his previous work.

I love Mama and Skull so I have great faith in the next album - and let's face it - there is more interest in Moz now than there ever was- smiths included ...

In conclusion I think Moz is great today, as he ever was :D - not perfect just himself with ups and downs but never boring or fake :) - we can't really ask for more, can we ;)

Love him. Love the suits, (he couldn't wear t-shirts forever you know.) And yes, I have a soft spot for the, "Viva Hate" days- I will always love that album. (As well as, "Vauxhall & I".) What can I say? I'm three years younger than he is, and I think very highly of the New Moz. He looks and sounds terrific and I love the new material. I actually prefer Tormentors to Quarry.

Love/hate is a bit strong but I think there is, regrettably, some truth in there having been a general decline in song quality.
Throughout the 1990’s, the music was a bit patchy, but the lyrics were usually pretty good. The two recent albums have seen patchy music as well as some pretty poor lyrics. ‘The songs that saved your life’ have now too frequently become ‘the songs that made you cringe’. Kegs between legs, someone’s sweetie, smelly uniforms, the world makes me puke… etc.
However, it’s not been a linear decline. ‘All You Need’ is much better than ‘That’s How People’. It has a rawness and an energy and a lyrical sharpness that’s been missing for too long. Other promising developments are a big batch of Morrissey/Whyte songs with initriguing song titles, and the fact that Alain’s had a lot of time to come up with some great stuff. The prospect of this tango fella chipping in with production/arrangement duties is also a promising sign.
So, I’m optimistic about the new stuff but to me, at least, it’s clear that recent Morrissey songs are nowhere near as good as his best stuff, with the decline in the quality of lyrics the most worrying trend.

Back
Top Bottom