Find Moz a new Record Label...

sistasheila

tjekket
decca didnt seem to be ideal for morrissey...the handling with the release of all you need is me and numerous other things etc
One label which treated him good seems to be sanctuary-i wonder why he didnt choose to stay there?
I remember an interview where he speaks nicely about the way he was treated there and cites for example that the bosses of the label gave him johnny thunders guitar
as a present-as a thank you for signing with them-he loved that of course
and said something along the line that" that was the first time the people at a record company actually cared"

...so why did he left sanctuary?..must be the money i.e. they couldnt affford him- since his market value is higher than it was in 2003 when he signed at sanctuary?

i also remember an older interview where the journalist asked him " what took you so long to sign a record contract"
which he replied with something like" you dont know what i experienced" and names several appointments with labels where they only want him if he records an album with radiohead first etc...

he isnt surely an easy customer but ...why does he changes record companies that often...or did record companies did drop him also?

.does those people who did follow him over his solo career from the very beginning have a deeper insight about the several fallouts with the numerous record companies he was a "customer" of ..what did happen there?
is decca the worst?

and to come to the thread title- can you think of a record label which would be ideal for morrissey?beside sanctuary?

Last edited:
how do you know it was the record companies fault? morrissey has never been known for being easy to work with,including record companies,just ask geoff travis.

yes i know ..but i just wonder what other labels are around...and i dont remember he had any problems with sanctuary....and I had the impression that the handling with the all you need is me release was not the best ...
and they also doesnt seems to be giving out press releases to fast...among other things

.but im just a bit flippant...its just my personal impression that they do not handle him to well comapared with sanctuary.
Im also interested about morrisseys dealings with the several labels he was a customer of in the past-what did go wrong there?

Last edited:
Well, for starters, Merck Mercuriadis left the Sanctuary Music Group. In retrospect, it seems like he was the one providing all the gusto Morrissey got out of them (the Thunders guitar, reviving the Attack imprint as his vanity label, etc).

Cheers,
Jamie

???

Hmmm, do you know why Morrissey didn't have recording contract 1997-2004?

I'm sure you've watched The Importance of Being Morrissey, he didn't want to be what the most of the record companies' executives wanted him to be.

One label which treated him good seems to be sanctuary-i wonder why he didnt choose to stay there?
I remember an interview where he speaks nicely about the way he was treated there and cites for example that the bosses of the label gave him johnny thunders guitar
as a present-as a thank you for signing with them-he loved that of course
and said something along the line that" that was the first time the people at a record company actually cared"

...so why did he left sanctuary?..must be the money i.e. they couldnt affford him- since his market value is higher than it was in 2003 when he signed at sanctuary?

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Sanctuary go into receivership / administration or just go bust? They certainly faced severe financial difficulties. That's why he left the label / the label left him.

Jukebox Jury

Re: ???

Hmmm, do you know why Morrissey didn't have recording contract 1997-2004?

I'm sure you've watched The Importance of Being Morrissey, he didn't want to be what the most of the record companies' executives wanted him to be.

yes i know -thats what i wonder about-is there a label out there who would be "perfect" for him?

yes i know -thats what i wonder about-is there a label out there who would be "perfect" for him?

No, he has to compromise certain things.

I heard that Morrissey wanted to be back with Rough Trade, but Geoff Travis didn't care.
Sadly Rough Trade is now a part of major level (don't remember which one bought it).

No, he has to compromise certain things.

I heard that Morrissey wanted to be back with Rough Trade, but Geoff Travis didn't care.
Sadly Rough Trade is now a part of major level (don't remember which one bought it).

it was a part of sanctuary was it not? they then sold it to beggars banquet.

He didn't leave Sanctuary. Sanctuary ceased to be. :confused: I thought everyone knew that.

If you can find a record company (or artist for that matter) that hasn't changed release dates ever, I'll be very interested to hear it.

Don't forget the Isle of Wight fiasco that Morrissey blamed on Sanctuary, so it is wrong to suggest he didn't have problems with them. Even going as far to say in a 2005 interview that there would be a 'new signing' for his next album due to him being unhappy with Sanctuary.

Morrissey shoud've released "To Me You Are A Work Of Art" as the lead-off single from "Ringleader," and then followed it up with "Life Is A Pigsty." "Work of Art" is a beautiful song that would've captured the American public instananeously. I would've also advised him to make a stunning video for it, and would've slapped him around if he started in on how he doesn't care about videos. The success of this single would've made radio more open to playing the longer follow-up single, "Pigsty," which then would've been one of the songs of the year for the general populace and everyone would immediately embrace it and would've been eating out of his hand no matter how much he went on about PETA. Leading the last album with the single "You Have Killed Me" was a major mistake. No one in the heartland of America knows what half the lyrics mean. Pasolini? Accatone? Magnoni? Visconti? And when he sings he entered nothing and nothing entered him...it sounds like he was afraid to get f***ed good and proper, which no one in America's heartland wants to have blaring out of their radios when they're cruising. I'm not saying it's a bad song. It's actually grown on me and I like it. But it should have been the third single if it was to be any single at all. "To Me You Are A Work Of Art" is a song everyone can understand. He sees the world, it makes him puke. Very clearly stated, and universal!

Morrissey can hire me as his manager if he likes.

Last edited:
Morrissey shoud've released "To Me You Are A Work Of Art" as the lead-off single from "Ringleader," and then followed it up with "Life Is A Pigsty." "Work of Art" is a beautiful song that would've captured the American public instananeously. I would've also advised him to make a stunning video for it, and would've slapped him around if he started in on how he doesn't care about videos. The success of this single would've made radio more open to playing the longer follow-up single, "Pigsty," which then would've been one of the songs of the year for the general populace and everyone would immediately embrace it if it were given a shot. Leading the last album with the single "You Have Killed Me" was a major mistake. No one in the heartland of America knows what half the lyrics mean. Pasolini? Accatone? Magnoni? Visconti? And when he sings he entered nothing and nothing entered him...it sounds like he was afraid to get f***ed good and proper, which no one in America's heartland wants to have blaring out of their radios when they're cruising. I'm not saying it's a bad song. It's actually grown on me and I like it. But it should have been the third single if it was to be any single at all. "To Me You Are A Work Of Art" is a song everyone can understand. He sees the world, it makes him puke. Very clearly stated, and universal!

Morrissey can hire me as his manager if he likes.

i agree with you and shared the same passions for "let the right one in" and "lost" and "nobody loves us" and "southpaw" imagine southpaw as a single.

would be nice for the upcoming release.

Didn't his contract with Sanctuary cover only two albums in the first place? However, I can't find anything to back this up.

Maybe he should move to the "Deutsche Grammophon" label - I really liked the artwork of the ROTT era :). (Yeah yeah, I know it's a label for classical music).

I also wonder if Jennifer Ivory (who also was with Sanctuary) is still working as a kind of PA for him. I heard her name dropped in a couple of interviews, e. g. the one he gave at Wireless. Might be a different Jennifer, though.

Didn't his contract with Sanctuary cover only two albums in the first place? However, I can't find anything to back this up.

Maybe he should move to the "Deutsche Grammophon" label - I really liked the artwork of the ROTT era :). (Yeah yeah, I know it's a label for classical music).

I also wonder if Jennifer Ivory (who also was with Sanctuary) is still working as a kind of PA for him. I heard her name dropped in a couple of interviews, e. g. the one he gave at Wireless. Might be a different Jennifer, though.

its the same one she works as his PA now

I agree. Both ROTT and the recent Decca singles were all created by a studio in the UK called Stylorouge. They were recently featured in Computer Arts magazine's supplement issue on the music industry released this past June.

I told the people where I work that Morrissey liked my little envelope package I "sent" him so much, that he showed it to the people at Stylorouge and were inspired to make their own. I had a pattern on it as well; shaped like little 45s. They believed me, too. :p

Anyway, according to that same article, almost all the music labels out there are owned by only four companies; EMI, Sony BMG, Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group. AnthonyGlamour pointed out on the Main page that all the labels that Morrissey was signed to (exception: EMI) are now all owned by Universal.

Food for thought.

Find Moz a new Record Label...He's found a "new label" isn't Morrissey on Polydor(which is owned by Universal)? If you check out their website(universalmusic.com), they have his name listed as one of their artists. Also, the video for AYNIM on Youtube? is a "Polydor" release(see for yourself)and they have "THPGU" and "Alam Matters" videos on there(UMG), on his page. "Decca" was bought out by Universal, so he's on their smaller(Polydor) label. Here you go, see for yourself(anyone can check it out, go there and click on the "M", scroll down a bit, plain as day).

Morrissey News Videos Artist's Site Universal Music Group

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom