Moz steps in to save 'Love Music Hate Racism' event this Sunday...

I'm not knocking it but I doubt he'd have done this a couple of years ago. It's not really Morrissey is it? I feel sorry for him that he feels he has to do stuff like this to "prove" he's not a racist. There are people who are just going to see it as a PR move and slag him off anyway I'm afraid. :(

Why does he have to "prove" anything?

Damn, niccee Morrissey. :D

Keep digging that shovel a little deeper in the NME's grave, I'm sure they appreciate it.

Really, nobody should be surprised he's doing this. It's Morrissey for crying out loud.

1) Well, obviously he's not a racist.

2) Obviously he wants to the NME to eat their words. Anybody would.
*shrugs*

Anyway, good job, methinks,

NME's version of the story:

"While supporting Love Music Hate Racism on a number of fronts in the last year – including giving away a themed covermounted CD album – NME had no planned commercial participation in this weekend’s Carnival. Of course NME will have an editorial presence at the event and plans to report on it in the usual way.”

From this article:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article3819348.ece

"While supporting Love Music Hate Racism on a number of fronts in the last year – including giving away a themed covermounted CD album – NME had no planned commercial participation in this weekend’s Carnival. Of course NME will have an editorial presence at the event and plans to report on it in the usual way.”

From this article:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article3819348.ece

Of course they had to say something like this, how could they justify it? we are broke? we support LMHR but in very small amounts ? :D - ah,ah,ah - The NME is going down...

I'm really glad Moz did this!!

Morrisset helps fund anti racism festival

according to bbc entertainment news Morrissey has stepped in to help finance the love music, hate racism carnival after one of the sponsers pulled out. What a guy, now maybe the questions will STOP!!!:):)

Did anyone here attend the LMHR concert today? how was it?

Also, am I the only one that finds odd that these news have not been mentioned in The Guardian/ Observer? - I mean, it was reported in Sky news, BBC, mtv, independent, the times, several local papers, international news agencies, etc...

The Guardian?? not a word on LMHR concert. :eek:

NME have issued a statement (according to the v reliable 'Planet Sound') to say that they didn't pull out-as they were never due to sponsor the event in the first place!

From this article:

Rubbish. They couldn't afford to sponsor the event because they can't afford it as no one buys NME anymore because it's shit. End of.

Incidentally I went to the festival and they didn't thank Morrissey at all, I've written a scathing letter to The Guardian but I doubt if they will bother to print it.

To be fair, why should they thank Morrissey? It's so obvious it's just a publicity stunt to make him look good in his war with the NME. It smacks of him trying to buy himself out of trouble. I have no doubt that he often makes charitable donations (Peta is a beneficiary fairly often I have heard) but normally he keeps them quiet.

As far as NME not being able to afford it is concerned, that's rubbish. They aren't some little struggling indie magazine. They are owned by IPC for god's sake!

Same with the Word magazine. Apparently one of their owners is The Guardian. So all that stuff about big bad Morrissey bullying them with his superior resources is crap.

I went. It rained basically non-stop, the sound quality was terrible and I don't think Moz was there. And I payed £5 for a vegetable curry, which turned out to be a carrot and broccolli curry, and was one of the worst meals I have ever eaten. Not to be cynical or anything. :D

To be fair, why should they thank Morrissey? It's so obvious it's just a publicity stunt to make him look good in his war with the NME. It smacks of him trying to buy himself out of trouble. I have no doubt that he often makes charitable donations (Peta is a beneficiary fairly often I have heard) but normally he keeps them quiet.

As far as NME not being able to afford it is concerned, that's rubbish. They aren't some little struggling indie magazine. They are owned by IPC for god's sake!

Same with the Word magazine. Apparently one of their owners is The Guardian. So all that stuff about big bad Morrissey bullying them with his superior resources is crap.

It's common courtesy to thank the sponsors regardless of who they happen to be and why (in your opinion) they made the donation. NME IS SHIT!

Incidentally I went to the festival and they didn't thank Morrissey at all, I've written a scathing letter to The Guardian but I doubt if they will bother to print it.

Hmm the main compere DID thank Morrissey from the main stage actually, so you will look a bit of a fool if the Guardian publish the letter. I attended the event and have sent in a report to davidt about the thanks being made.

You must have missed the thanks. I was watching the main stage from about 3pm onwards, and he was thanked by the main compere who said 'without Morrissey this wouldn't have happened'. He said it fairly early on after I started watching the stage, perhaps around 4pmish?

I was standing with a friend and we had a chat about the thanks after it was given. It definitely occurred.

oops...here it is! :)

http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2276564,00.html

I remeber listening to the BBC radio2 documentary about him, not so long ago, and Paul Morley saying that he talked to him, many years after the NME/racism incident, and he was still very hurt about it - just imagine the second time :eek:

So I'm really glad Moz had a chance to do something about it this time, and did help LMHR get this important message out! :cool:

Hmm the main compere DID thank Morrissey from the main stage actually, so you will look a bit of a fool if the Guardian publish the letter. I attended the event and have sent in a report to davidt about the thanks being made.

You must have missed the thanks. I was watching the main stage from about 3pm onwards, and he was thanked by the main compere who said 'without Morrissey this wouldn't have happened'. He said it fairly early on after I started watching the stage, perhaps around 4pmish?

I was standing with a friend and we had a chat about the thanks after it was given. It definitely occurred.

Hmm this is very strange. I was there at the main stage at that time with my friends and none of us heard it. :confused:

If you are sure then I guess we must have missed it. How odd.

Hmm this is very strange. I was there at the main stage at that time with my friends and none of us heard it. :confused:

If you are sure then I guess we must have missed it. How odd.

Morrissey was thanked. The compere said something along the lines of, "You may have read in the papers about Morrissey stepping in with a donation of ??? to save the festival. This is true, and without his help the festival couldn't have gone ahead - and we thank him. But we should also thank our other sponsers, the Trade Unions without whom this event could not have been staged."

It was something like that. The first part I'm sure is almost verbatim, the second part an approximation - but that was the tone of it - we do thank Morrissey very much but we thank a whole bunch of other people too!

Hmm, ok good. Must have been at the other stage/in the loo at the time.

I'd rather speak out and be wrong than have kept quiet and turned out to be right.

Last edited:
No one thanked him from the main stage.....FACT

And if they did a big thing should have been made at the end.

Please publish your letter on here!!

Back
Top Bottom