Jordan Bassett of NME on his complicated relationship with Morrissey

"To my shame, dismay and fatigue, I have become obsessed with scrolling these forums" - haha! He's not alone - the article could have been written by any bewildered fan and similar screeds have been posted on here for years.

'spouting hate'?
The only hate is that directed endlessly at Moz for having an opinion. That is his real crime - having an opinion at odds with the mainstream.

wonder if hes looking in now,hello mr nme man.

The usual structure of a text is beginning-middle-end.

The journalist probably thought that the last two parts are optional...

Where does one start ? "Alt right spokesman" !!!!! "Camp" !!!! .... And much other drivil ... The delete them for your playlist .... Well listen to who u like really but u no going to be listening to much ... Ryan Adams ... Acqusations and that's it ... Press n media finish him..... Moz well we a know too well .... Yet the Jackson's , Townsend's, Doherty's , Curtis n co, Pop, Tucker, Nugent, Clapton etc etc ... Never watch Rosemary's Baby again.... Never read another Jeffrey Archer ... Well u get my drift

he literally doesnt say anything

'spouting hate'?
The only hate is that directed endlessly at Moz for having an opinion. That is his real crime - having an opinion at odds with the mainstream.
Just around the time he has something to sell. Gets him lots of publicity. Gets him lots of ill gotten gains.

I disagree - the article scratches at the surface of some interesting ideas, particularly around the concept of "cancel culture" although of course it would be better if it had explored those ideas in more depth. But it's a quick blog piece on the NME site, so that's probably too much to ask!

Jordan Bassett is a prick. I've read this clowns words before and they always leave me with same impression of their author: he is a prick.

His recent article left me with the same thought. He wrote this, "And now his dedicated website is a place for fans to spout hate."

No mention of the fans defending Morrissey. Of course there isn't. Nobody that reads the NME, or other websites that mention Morrissey, want to read that there are fans defending him.

Well, get creative! I mean, Jordan was looking for some flights for his darts in daddies garage? Yeah, right!

One day, Jordan was nosing around daddies garage, looking for daddies magazine collection. He found daddies collection of magazines. He also found some cassettes of The Smiths and Morrissey. Ten minutes later, daddy walked into his garage and caught Jordan...

...and that's why he hates Morrissey. He always associates his music with daddy and daddies garage. As he's done in his recent NME article.

The End

An honest attempt here (my opinion!) by Jordan Bassett to wrestle with Morrissey's "complex legacy".

https://www.nme.com/blogs/ill-still-listen-morrissey-but-it-wont-be-the-same-2497598

Which starts with the killer sentence: "If you want to really test your faith in humanity, pay a visit to the forums sections of morrissey-solo.com..." - which I'd hope we can all agree with.
He has become obcessed with scrolling through this forum because he doesn't have an original thought to put on paper. He then takes the most extreme quote he can find and ignores all of the viewpoints which are rational and defending Morrissey.
Categorising Morrissey as Alt right is simplistic and lazy and speaking of a cut off point with reference to Ryan Adams is disingenuous.
Morrissey has given his opinion on the state of the world and has not hurt anyone except those who long for 1985.
More of the same with less obvious vitriol.

'spouting hate'?

Yes, I agree with this. It's incredible how blind people are to their own hate. It's simple tribalism. It's pervasive and it's becoming worse. If someone 'signals' - deliberately or otherwise - that they belong to a different tribe, that's 'hateful'. However, if the signals are all in accord with one's own tribe, as long as they are all approved signals, they can't possibly be hateful. This video makes some very interesting and eye-opening points about tribalism:

Speaking as someone who moves almost entirely in leftist circles, I now find the left viscerally scary. Morrissey may not be always coherent in his public pronouncements - he says some things I think are bizarre or just plain wrong, such as his comment about the Chinese, which was bizarre, wrong factually and wrong morally - but he at least shows some principle in his sticking to his beliefs in the face of outrage, and occasionally he even hits the mark, as with his recent comment about Soviet Britain.

As for 'cancel culture', mentioned in the article, that reminds me of a number of things. Orwell's idea of becoming an 'unperson', for instance. (This idea is echoed in the work of the poet Yang Lian who was exiled from China, especially in his collection Non-Person Singular.) And there's also this article which mentions, among other things, Comrade Clemetis being removed from the photograph with Klement Gottwald:

https://quillette.com/2019/03/31/historical-amnesia-and-kunderas-resistance/

Is this really the road we want to go down?

Well, to his credit, the writer of the article at least resists to some extent. The Western world was not as hysterical and censorious as this last century. I feel sorry for those born this century who think this witch-hunt hysteria is normal.

He has become obcessed with scrolling through this forum because he doesn't have an original thought to put on paper. He then takes the most extreme quote he can find and ignores all of the viewpoints which are rational and defending Morrissey.
Categorising Morrissey as Alt right is simplistic and lazy and speaking of a cut off point with reference to Ryan Adams is disingenuous.
Morrissey has given his opinion on the state of the world and has not hurt anyone except those who long for 1985.
More of the same with less obvious vitriol.

That's a good point re the comparison with Ryan Adams - who has actually hurt people through his actions in real life. (Although the very first thing I thought when that particular story broke was "oh my god didn't those women know who they were getting involved with?" It's been clear since the very early 2000s that Adams was kind of unhinged...

Yes, I agree with this. It's incredible how blind people are to their own hate. It's simple tribalism. It's pervasive and it's becoming worse. If someone 'signals' - deliberately or otherwise - that they belong to a different tribe, that's 'hateful'. However, if the signals are all in accord with one's own tribe, as long as they are all approved signals, they can't possibly be hateful. This video makes some very interesting and eye-opening points about tribalism:

Speaking as someone who moves almost entirely in leftist circles, I now find the left viscerally scary. Morrissey may not be always coherent in his public pronouncements - he says some things I think are bizarre or just plain wrong, such as his comment about the Chinese, which was bizarre, wrong factually and wrong morally - but he at least shows some principle in his sticking to his beliefs in the face of outrage, and occasionally he even hits the mark, as with his recent comment about Soviet Britain.

As for 'cancel culture', mentioned in the article, that reminds me of a number of things. Orwell's idea of becoming an 'unperson', for instance. (This idea is echoed in the work of the poet Yang Lian who was exiled from China, especially in his collection Non-Person Singular.) And there's also this article which mentions, among other things, Comrade Clemetis being removed from the photograph with Klement Gottwald:

https://quillette.com/2019/03/31/historical-amnesia-and-kunderas-resistance/

Is this really the road we want to go down?

Well, to his credit, the writer of the article at least resists to some extent. The Western world was not as hysterical and censorious as this last century. I feel sorry for those born this century who think this witch-hunt hysteria is normal.

Interesting post.

In regards to the Chinese comment, it’s understandable that it could be seen as wrong for him to not make himself clearer or later better explain himself, which he rarely if ever does.

But besides people not taking into consideration or even understanding his emotional outbursts and strong feelings about animal rights issues, they most likely won’t understand what he is actually saying in that interview, and when the comment is, as it almost always is, taken out of context, then the reader, fan or not, can only read it one way, which of courses is detrimental to Morrissey.

Then again, maybe Morrissey not being clear or explaining himself, is his way of stirring up publicity for a subject he cares intensely about, therefore give a voice to the voiceless.

Back
Top Bottom