Johnny Marr performs "Please, Please, Please..." on "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon"

Best Marr cover on the Smiths by a long shot. Weird he can sing the Smiths ballads so good.

It's just as much Marr's song as Morrissey and although Morrissey wins on the vocal, Marr's band is the best by a mile.

It's just as much Marr's song as Morrissey and although Morrissey wins on the vocal, Marr's band is the best by a mile.

Morrissey not only wins on vocals, he also wins on presence on stage by a country mile, but its not plebfactor, we aren't voting for our favourite, it's good to get to see both of them live on stage, albeit separately, regrettably

Johnny Marr and Morrissey are like the dudes from American Gladiators. When they play the same song it is a competition and one of them has to lose.
american-gladiators.jpg

Also, isn't it generally agreed upon it's a song about longing for companionship and love? He's been married his whole life. Did he write the song? Yes. Why is he singing it now? QUOTE]

So, by your own twisted logic, since Morrissey has been busy boning Jake, Gelato, Tina, Damon and whoever since the mid '90s', he shouldn't be allowed to sing it either, along with 75% of his back catalogue, as he'd just be cashing in on his own youthful misery when he was single. You really are quite a spectacularly stupid person, aren't you?

Absolutely wonderful rendition, the man's a f***ing genius.

Brilliantly played as you would expect...vocals really nicely too...you can't beat the Mozza singing on this but Johnny has every right to sing any Smiths tune he likes, his playing and singing is a better combo than Moz and the butchers having a go.....if only they could get on a stage one more time..please,please,please

Morrissey not only wins on vocals, he also wins on presence on stage by a country mile, but its not plebfactor, we aren't voting for our favourite, it's good to get to see both of them live on stage, albeit separately, regrettably

There's a few hundred thousand people who bought tickets to see Moz this year who might disagree with regards to his presence on stage...

I don't know if I'd agree there. Johnny was quite the frontman when I saw him. it's not Morrissey level for sure but maybe not as far as one expects.

Best Marr cover on the Smiths by a long shot. Weird he can sing the Smiths ballads so good.

dis

johnny can do whatever he wants with regards to smiths they are equally his songs. he and his band play them how they should be played and c'mon his voice has got better. it doesn't detract from the overall sound of the song

Clearly this shows that Morrissey's band of hackers will never do The Smiths songs justice. Morrissey needs to get some stronger musicians.

Steady on everyone. Can we just agree it's f***ing brilliant to hear the man who wrote the tune perfom it so wonderfully?

P.

I have to agree with this. Morrissey's heart-wrenching lyrics and beautiful vocals are what first attracted me to the Smiths, and what have kept me following M all of these years, but it is undeniable that Morrissey's voice and emotional expression are complemented perfectly by Johnny's ethereal guitar playing. This song is a representation of how well they collaborated, and they both have the right to play it. I'm OK with Marr's rendition, although his voice is really flat; I just can't stand hearing anyone other than Marr or Morrissey attempt it. It's one of the most moving pop songs ever written, and you can understand why other artists would want to cover it, but it is sacred Smiths material.

lynnda

fookin' brilliant.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom