Jesus of Nazareth, known as "J-dogg" by some

What is your opinion of Jesus?

• Total voters
‘The One

Then he began to teach me, saying: the One has all power. Nothing rules over it. It is God and it is a Parent, the Father of the Fullness (Pleroma). It presides over the Fullness, the spotless light that no eyes can see. It is the Invisible Spirit.

To call it a god, or to say that it is like a god, is not fitting, for it transcends every god. Nothing is above it or greater than it. Nothing that is inferior to it can contain it, for it contains everything within itself. It is eternally self-sufficient. It is perfect fullness, and it has never lacked anything that would make it more complete. Its light is utter light.

The One is unlimited, because there was never anything that could limit it; unfathomable, because there was never anything that could fathom it; immeasurable, because there was never anything that could measure it; invisible, because it has never been seen; eternal, because it has always existed and always will exist; ineffable, because no one has ever understood it well enough to describe it; and unnamable, because there was never anything that could give it a name.

It is infinite light, holy and pure. Its perfection cannot be uttered or corrupted. Yet it is not just perfection, blessedness, or divinity – it is far greater than all of these. It is neither corporeal nor incorporeal, neither large nor small. No one can say how much of it there is, or how it can be classified, because no one can comprehend it. It does not exist in the way that other things exist, for it is far superior to them. But it is not superior to them; rather, it exists apart from them, apart from time. For whatever exists in time has been conditioned by another. No one gave it a span of time, for no one can give it anything. That which was first to exist does not need anything from anyone else in order to exist. All it sees is its own perfect light.’

You have to almost feel pity for a religion as it erodes. Perhaps one day mosques, like English churches, will be little more than museums, hosting "silent raves" where devotees of Allah once prostrated themselves towards that mysterious cube in Mecca.

I wouldn't toll the bell for Christianity just yet, Aubs. As you are keen to remind us - the evangelicals are still big in the USA. And in Latin America. In Brazil evangelical Christianity is almost certainly much more powerful than Catholicism. Christianity is also growing in China. And with mass immigration, African Christian churches are on the rise across Europe. The population of Africa is growing exponentially. If what we know as 'the West' is over, and the focus of power is changing in the world towards the BRICS - Christianity may still have a hand to play yet.

Why is it that anything on this Earth
We do not understand
We are pushed down on our knees
To worship or to damn?

Those are the rules of religion
Those are the laws of the land
That's how the forces of darkness
Have suppressed the spirit of man

That's why human beings
Still walk on all fours
Whilst in the presence
Of their so called superiors

Last edited:
I wouldn't toll the bell for Christianity just yet, Aubs. As you are keen to remind us - the evangelicals are still big in the USA. And in Latin America. In Brazil evangelical Christianity is almost certainly much more powerful than Catholicism. Christianity is also growing in China. And with mass immigration, African Christian churches are on the rise across Europe. The population of Africa is growing exponentially. If what we know as 'the West' is over, and the focus of power is changing in the world towards the BRICS - Christianity may still have a hand to play yet.

Maybe. But the paradigm of infinite economic growth on a planet with finite resources and a population headed towards ten billion is a pretty sure recipe for disaster. Jesus can't save us, but as a gooey apocalypticist, he is certain to re-gain some of his old authentic appeal—and no doubt popularity. Sayonara, John Lennon! Imagine's cheesy secular utopia is not going to cut it next to Jesus coming down from the clouds in glory to right the wrongs and take his vengeance and put his enemies under his footstool.

Maybe. But the paradigm of infinite economic growth on a planet with finite resources and a population headed towards ten billion is a pretty sure recipe for disaster. Jesus can't save us, but as a gooey apocalypticist, he is certain to re-gain some of his old authentic appeal—and no doubt popularity. Sayonara, John Lennon! Imagine's cheesy secular utopia is not going to cut it next to Jesus coming down from the clouds in glory to right the wrongs and take his vengeance and put his enemies under his footstool.
Yes, but there will be a second coming. Of that there can be little doubt. Not of the carpenter from Galilee. But of someone claiming to be the saviour of the human race. We are hard wired to look for such a figure I think. Whether that's Elvis or Ziggy Stardust, or Jesus or Mohammed. Isn't that what Dune is about? I haven't read the book but the recent movies have been rather good. And if another world war is coming, that would create the perfect environment for the next cult figure to come along. For isn't that what both J-Dogg and M-Dogg did? They created a cult - that grew and became a world religion.

Yes, but there will be a second coming. Of that there can be little doubt. Not of the carpenter from Galilee. But of someone claiming to be the saviour of the human race. We are hard wired to look for such a figure I think. Whether that's Elvis or Ziggy Stardust, or Jesus or Mohammed. Isn't that what Dune is about? I haven't read the book but the recent movies have been rather good. And if another world war is coming, that would create the perfect environment for the next cult figure to come along. For isn't that what both J-Dogg and M-Dogg did? They created a cult - that grew and became a world religion.

Yes, you're right, we're innately disposed to look for leaders and saviors. Elvis and Ziggy Stardust were secular saviors from when the West was living high on the hog, when it was all milkshakes and drive-in movies and the sexual revolution. It's like what Nietzsche said about Buddhism: it's a luxury religion for which you need a warm climate and a thriving literary caste, when sensitive young men can sit under palm fronds and contemplate metaphysical solutions to the problem of suffering, neither too ascetic nor too cultish. A pleasant "middle way." But the post-Christian West didn't want a middle way, and roared into the material, luxury aspect, and our saviors were outrageous.

Barring some technological miracle, the bill for all our decadence is going to come due shortly, and when there are famines and natural disasters, people will probably go back to the desert. I don't know if a new Messiah is going to be as successful as J-dogg will be—the OG Messiah. As Nietzsche also noted (in contrast to Buddhism) when you're plagued and put-upon and poor and oppressed, that's when you really get high on the thrill of lurid revenge eschatology. And for that you want the God of the Hebrews. My prediction: we will go down into the abyss clinging to Jesus for sweet salvation.

Yes, you're right, we're innately disposed to look for leaders and saviors. Elvis and Ziggy Stardust were secular saviors from when the West was living high on the hog, when it was all milkshakes and drive-in movies and the sexual revolution. It's like what Nietzsche said about Buddhism: it's a luxury religion for which you need a warm climate and a thriving literary caste, when sensitive young men can sit under palm fronds and contemplate metaphysical solutions to the problem of suffering, neither too ascetic nor too cultish. A pleasant "middle way." But the post-Christian West didn't want a middle way, and roared into the material, luxury aspect, and our saviors were outrageous.

Barring some technological miracle, the bill for all our decadence is going to come due shortly, and when there are famines and natural disasters, people will probably go back to the desert. I don't know if a new Messiah is going to be as successful as J-dogg will be—the OG Messiah. As Nietzsche also noted (in contrast to Buddhism) when you're plagued and put-upon and poor and oppressed, that's when you really get high on the thrill of lurid revenge eschatology. And for that you want the God of the Hebrews. My prediction: we will go down into the abyss clinging to Jesus for sweet salvation.
Oh, we are hard wired to do that anyway. Eschatology is really just religion's civilisational and 'world view' version of the basic fact of biology that we all face - we're all going to die. That is true for civilisations. It is also true for the human race. Even the sun will stop burning one day. Maybe the cockroaches will survive and evolve one day to become a super race, with a cockroach messiah?

This is an interesting chap. And a rare breed. A Christian who is not scared to criticise Mohammed and Islam in the 21st century. And it looks like he has payed the price this evening for doing so. Although thankfully it is reported no one was killed or has life-threatening injuries. Still, shocking none the less. Already some MSM sources are calling him 'far right'. God help us. By that measure every Muslim cleric on the planet is 'far right'. But you will never hear the media saying so.

You're welcome to think that. Maybe I am wrong. I can't believe my gif of Lou de Laâge looking perfect on a train didn't get a single "like." Or maybe I'm right and the rest of you are TOTAL 4KING IDOTS.
Aside from you having notoriously bad taste, people probably just don't want to give the impression of being nonces!

Tags
christianity edith sitwell jesus religion
Back
Top Bottom