Jesus of Nazareth, known as "J-dogg" by some

What is your opinion of Jesus?

• Total voters
Bigger EGOS than Jesus, maybe!

I doubt it. Jesus said he was God and that you could only come to the Father through him (you can't have more ego than that), while the Beatles said, "try to realize it's all within yourself | no one else can make you change | and to see you're really only very small | and life flows on within you and without you."

Last edited:
I doubt it. Jesus said he was God and that you could only come to the Father through him (you can't have more ego than that), while the Beatles said, "try to realize it's all within yourself | no one else can make you change | and to see you're really only very small | and life flows on within you and without you."

is that really what he said? Bro, that’s messed up.

Though if Jesus believed that all is God (i.e., Universal Consciousness) then from that point of view it makes perfect sense. And that through Jesus (i.e., through the teaching) others too will know God! become ONE with God, and each will know I AM, each will know that I that they truly are, always were.

After the rude detonating of a Malarkey bomb and its ugly fallout, this thread needs a palate cleanser. Here are my top 20 Beatles songs, in alphabetical order since numerical ranking would be too difficult. The only two I can rank are Rain and A Day in the Life as the top 2. The first Beatles songs I ever heard, All My Loving and I Feel Fine still make the cut after more than forty years. John Lennon's rhythm guitar on All My Loving (a vigorous, shimmering, tangy sound) is from out of the ether and the only song whose rhythm guitar equals it is the electric version of Bigmouth Strikes Again on Rank. (I usually dislike the foul-mouthed honorific "Johnny f*cking Marr," but occasionally it has its place). The best version of And Your Bird Can Sing is possibly not the album track but the "alexandrabee remix," where a YouTuber removed the giggling from the more Help! era-sounding second take.
  • A Day in the Life
  • All My Loving
  • And Your Bird Can Sing
  • Because
  • Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
  • Happiness Is a Warm Gun
  • I Am the Walrus
  • I Feel Fine
  • I'll Follow the Sun
  • I'm Looking Through You
  • I'm Only Sleeping
  • I Should Have Known Better
  • Paperback Writer
  • Rain
  • Sexy Sadie
  • Strawberry Fields Forever
  • Taxman
  • Ticket to Ride
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
  • Within You Without You
A lot of these would be on my list, but I’m missing Across the Universe, For No One and Fool on the Hill.

But were they bigger than Mohammed? That is the much bigger question. And one much more likely to get you beheaded.

That one made the cut.
Yes, sorry, not sure how I missed that. Great song.
Here would by my top 20:

Across the Universe
A Day in the Life
And Your Bird Can Sing
Dear Prudence
Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Here Comes the Sun
Helter Skelter
I am the Walrus
Long Long Long
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Paperback Writer
Please Please Me
Sexy Sadie
She Said She Said
Strawberry Fields Forever
Tomorrow Never Knows
Ticket to Ride
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away

But were they bigger than Mohammed? That is the much bigger question. And one much more likely to get you beheaded.

In Muslim countries? I would guess Mohammed is bigger. In Indonesia, President Sukarno made the Beatles haram, but Indonesia is generally moderate and Westernized enough that the ban was lifted once he was gone. The Quora entry offers the trivia that Lennon and Sukarno hated each other, both have airports named after them, and both married Japanese women.

Last edited:
Audrey, since you're soooooooo SMRT could you explain to me why Norman finkelstein talks the way he does? He talks like a mentally handicapped person who shit his pants and is going to be in so much trouble when he gets home.

This painting is something to ponder. Salvator Mundi - the saviour of the world. Scholars disagree whether it is (entirely) the work of Leonardo da Vinci, although it certainly looks like his work. Perhaps it looks a little bit too much like his work? What is so striking about it is the rather strange mix of masculine and feminine in the portrait. It's almost hermaphroditic. Dare I say, Jesus even looks a bit 'trans'. There is more than a hint of a female chest.

1712648879917.png

Of course, the Dan Brown fans will be tempted to aver that Leonardo is doing something similar to what The Da Vinci Code suggests he did in his painting of the last supper - showing how the true saviour is the sacred feminine. The glass orb, representing the celestial sphere, perhaps is a lens too, a different lens through which to see the saviour of the world?
The painting was sold at auction for US$450.3 million in 2017 by Christie's in New York to Prince Badr bin Abdullah Al Saud, setting a new record for the most expensive painting ever sold at public auction. Prince Badr allegedly made the purchase on behalf of Abu Dhabi's Department of Culture and Tourism, but shortly after it was reported that he was a stand-in bidder for his close ally, the Saudi Arabian crown prince Mohammed bin Salman. Since 2017 the painting has no longer been publicly exhibited. What exactly the House of Saud wants with the picture is unclear.

Audrey, since you're soooooooo SMRT could you explain to me why Norman finkelstein talks the way he does? He talks like a mentally handicapped person who shit his pants and is going to be in so much trouble when he gets home.

I don't know, maybe he really is a mentally handicapped person who soils himself. Unsurprisingly, he's still able to make more reasoned arguments on Israel than Zionists are.

rather strange mix of masculine and feminine
Dare I say, Jesus even looks a bit 'trans'.

It's disturbing. If this painting is supposed to contain a hint about "the sacred feminine," it's not very effective (Jesus is neither androgynous nor attractive; he looks, as you say, "trans"). But the sacred feminine itself is unfortunately not the cult of female beauty. Goddesses like Aphrodite came onto the scene late, and Venusberg legends even later. The original Great Mother was a fertility goddess. Yikes!

Last edited:
@gashonthenail has changed his avatar. I see a biker gang photoshopped to be Sartre, Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, and Camus. I wonder if poor old Huysmans would approve. I think he would only like Schopenhauer. Sartre has a great quip based on Voltaire's maxim about God that I have always liked: "if the Jew did not exist, the anti-Semite would have to invent him." Unfortunately, the past six months have proven to me that the converse is also true.

@gashonthenail has changed his avatar. I see a biker gang photoshopped to be Sartre, Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, and Camus. I wonder if poor old Huysmans would approve. I think he would only like Schopenhauer. Sartre has a great quip based on Voltaire's maxim about God that I have always liked: "if the Jew did not exist, the anti-Semite would have to invent him." Unfortunately, the past six months have proven to me that the converse is also true.
I thought it was time for a change, Aubs. With regard to 'poor old Huysmans' I suppose it would depend on Huysmans in his earlier 'decadent' and 'Satanic' phase, or Huysmans in his later 'Catholic' phase. I think the younger JK would have liked Friedrich. Both have been described as 'proto-fascist'. Wrongly, I would suggest.

I thought it was time for a change, Aubs. With regard to 'poor old Huysmans' I suppose it would depend on Huysmans in his earlier 'decadent' and 'Satanic' phase, or Huysmans in his later 'Catholic' phase. I think the younger JK would have liked Friedrich. Both have been described as 'proto-fascist'. Wrongly, I would suggest.

Huysmans and Nietzsche are both (commendably, in my view) "counter-Enlightenment," though obviously in different ways. Huysmans wanted to go back to throne-&-altar Catholicism, while Nietzsche wanted to go much further back, all the way to the pre-Socratics. And both cultivated an appreciation for the concept of a "noble" and "aristocratic" sense of virtue.

I'm not sure if it's wrong to classify Nietzsche as a proto-fascist. He did not trust the masses. His criticism of Christianity is often based on it being a sentimental and egalitarian religion at its core (Jesus and Paul) even though he admired the hierarchical structure thrown up by the Church. He certainly liked the Renaissance era, when the Church was ruled by wealthy Italian thugs. Ideally, for him, would've been "Cesare Borgia as pope!"

Last edited:
Here are my top 20 Beatles songs, in alphabetical order since numerical ranking would be too difficult.
  • A Day in the Life
  • All My Loving
  • And Your Bird Can Sing
  • Because
  • Being For the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
  • Happiness Is a Warm Gun
  • I Am the Walrus
  • I Feel Fine
  • I'll Follow the Sun
  • I'm Looking Through You
  • I'm Only Sleeping
  • I Should Have Known Better
  • Paperback Writer
  • Rain
  • Sexy Sadie
  • Strawberry Fields Forever
  • Taxman
  • Ticket to Ride
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
  • Within You Without You
Michelle
u're gonna lose that girl
carry that weight
hey jude

Strawberry fields forever
magical mystery tour
a day in the life
let it be
lady madonna
eleanor rigby
revolution

Taxman
help
and your bird can sing
norwegian wood (this bird has flown)

Julia
everybody's got something to hide (except for me and my monkey)
she loves you
u've got to hide your love away
she's leaving home

Tags
christianity edith sitwell jesus religion
Back
Top Bottom