Is "Panic" secretly about Jimmy Saville? - James Hargreaves Guitar / YouTube

It´s a bit of a stretch to suggest the song is about Jimmy Saville - the looming nuclear disaster story hs always sounded more credible - but Saville was no doubt one of the DJs the song wished to see swinging from a gallows. I always remember my mum saying there is something creepy about that man. I think women saw through him a mile away. But God bless the BBC for telling the nation he was a hero.
The maker of the video has a whole series of a similar speculative nature - there is one on the hidden meaning of Sergent Pepper which is worth a watch.

Funny isn't it, back in the grimy old 80's old Stevie and his ilk were the enemy but as time moves on, and these people get replaced by younger non entities you realise they weren't that bad after all.
When Stevie himself was eventually sent to the farm I really hoped he would sign off with Panic on repeat.

It’s odd to me that some people in this thread are so firmly against the idea that Panic could be about Savile and his crimes. Marr is on record as saying that the song was inspired by a Steve Wright BBC Radio 1 broadcast; do you know who else was hosting a show on BBC Radio 1 in 1986? Jimmy Savile! So those people are fine with the song being inspired by one BBC Radio 1 DJ, but balk at the notion that it could be about another (even comparing it to the ‘flat earth’ conspiracy). Make it make sense! :confused:
Because Morrissey and Marr have said it's specifically about Steve Wright.

Because Morrissey and Marr have said it's specifically about Steve Wright.

I don’t believe ‘em! Just like I don’t believe their origin story of Marr knocking on Morrissey’s front door and Morrissey letting him in. I think they just ripped it off from the story of how Leiber and Stoller met each other. There must have been at least a phone call first but they left that part out in interviews because it sounded better without it. I’m looking at their Steve Wright explanation with the same suspicion.

I don’t believe ‘em! Just like I don’t believe their origin story of Marr knocking on Morrissey’s front door and Morrissey letting him in. I think they just ripped it off from the story of how Leiber and Stoller met each other. There must have been at least a phone call first but they left that part out in interviews because it sounded better without it. I’m looking at their Steve Wright explanation with the same suspicion.
I thought the story was that Marr asked Steve Pomfret to take him round and all three were present. I enjoyed the fairly detailed account in "Set the Boy Free".

Obviously if it was about Saville Morrissey wouldn’t say; he’s shy like that—never names names. Ever.

How did this lunatic rubbish make the front page? It's bad enough with Morrissey doing his conspiracy theory nonsense in 'Notre Dame' without this crap as well.
Not only front page but they can't even spell his name right in the title.... there's only one L in Savile

Apart from "Little Man, What Now?". But no one knows who "Margaret On The Guillotine" was about.
Indeed. If it was about Saville, I don’t see why Morrissey would be shy about saying so. But Saville is nevertheless captured in the context Morrissey was criticising.

American conspiracy communities are picking up all sorts of weird things, so someone is probably interested. Tortoise made an interesting podcast about American cranks becoming obsessed with a school in Hampstead which shows how these things spread.

It's quite grim, so I won't directly link to it - but the Guardian had a piece about it, if you want to find it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom