Fretsore Records / YouTube: Dana Gillespie - Spent The Day In Bed (Official video)

Co-writer:

Screenshot_20240410-214103.png

Love the lyric, 'the news contrives to frighten you'. It's beautifully expressed and so true.
It's not a favourite Morrissey song of mine but I was pleased to hear it do so well at the time.
It's also nice to hear a relatively modern Morrissey song being covered, and not just another version of Every Day Is Like Sunday.

AWESOME.

:rock:

Love this!
It's fun! :rock:

I like the cover version, especially the music when it kind of goes wild.

A pathetically pedantic p.s. from pitiful me.... if you're telling people to stop watching the news then don't have 20 news shows playing in the video.
But I think having all those channels going is effective for showing what the song is about? Not to mention at the 1:50 or so mark, when the Breaking News segment starts, the headlines actually contain the lyrics to the song!!! :sunglasses::guitar:

Creepy video but not much worse than the Moz video, that was the beginning of the end I fear.

Love the lyric, 'the news contrives to frighten you'. It's beautifully expressed and so true.
It's not a favourite Morrissey song of mine but I was pleased to hear it do so well at the time.
It's also nice to hear a relatively modern Morrissey song being covered, and not just another version of Every Day Is Like Sunday.
I find the lyrics to this very silly and strange. First I'm telling you that I spent the day in bed, then I'm demanding that you stop watching the news? Easily some of his worst.

Nice job, for a few different reasons. One aspect I liked which stood out is that she successfully navigated the balancing act of bringing something personal to someone else’s song, while at the same time not changing the original so much that it’s ruined. Also, because Morrissey really is the master of his craft, no one mentioned this but his boots are rather tall boots to fill! He has immense talent and artistry, and authenticity has been such a pervasive element throughout his work. I think Dana’s reinterpretation and delivery succeed in paying homage to Morrissey’s original vision. In any case, it’s a great song choice and Morrissey’s lyrics imbue the song with timelessness and universality. Very easy to see many reasons why this song was chosen.

I would make one change to the video: the last still image, should have been Morrissey laying in the bed with Dana and each of them with a lit cigarette, or vape pipe, with a exuberant cloud of exhale.
Is this an extract of a novel you're writing

£9.99 Waterstones best seller for sure

ALSO IT WAS A MARKER PEN GET OVER IT

I have just discovered the deeper message in this little song!
This is what I love about Morrissey. He writes what on the surface is a simple 3-minute pop song that (hopefully) will get played on the radio. But there is so much going on in those lyrics. Those lyrics are subverse and obverse and perverse all at the same time. And also very funny. And all that in a 3-minute pop song.

Fantastic love it! Especially now with the great video. It's more what I'd wished M had created for his original release - something like him commuting to work just another face in a crowd. On a stuffed tube train or amongst the crowd shuffling across Waterloo bridge.
That imagery done to death elsewhere of course and being Moz his one inevitably ends up with Joey Barton wheeling him around and the band mixing it up with David Hoyle.
I do remember Steve Wright playing the song though, and it went well with his telly appearances.
Good on Dana.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom