Fiona Dodwell's husband: X comment re: Jesse Tobias (April 2, 2024)

the usual suspects, there’s a couple more. But in the real world, the people that still buy the records and attend his shows, in which Jesse plays a large contributing role, tells a different story. But it’s easier to single out and blame one person in regards to their reasoning for Morrissey’s so-called ‘downfall’.
It's true that some people are overstating things, but first off I don't agree with Skinny's assessment that people haven't listened. On this website I don't think people like Jesse all that much, even though most people don't think he is exclusively at fault for everything.
But in any case, I think it there are signs that he is unpopular amongst the band, and most importantly he is not as capable as a guitarist as Alain Whyte or Boz Boorer. I have still been to see Morrissey 5 times with Jesse in the band, I still excitedly buy the new albums, but I would much prefer Jesse to be replaced.

Regardless of what skinny says on here, some people on solo don’t like Jesse for whatever reason. It has nothing to do with anyone listening or not listening to skinny. And if they are, god help them.
I think we are getting into semantics a little here. I don't mean to suggest that most members like or dislike Jesse because of Skinny, I was just pointing out that what Skinny said about people not listening to him about Jesse is an odd thing to see given a lot of people on here have a similar view about Jesse to him.

I have still been to see Morrissey 5 times with Jesse in the band, I still excitedly buy the new albums, but I would much prefer Jesse to be replaced.

I am currently learning to play the ukulele. I will then progress to the guitar and, in time, replace Jesse. Then you'll have something to complain about!

Skinny is a regular cassandra!

I think we are getting into semantics a little here. I don't mean to suggest that most members like or dislike Jesse because of Skinny, I was just pointing out that what Skinny said about people not listening to him about Jesse is an odd thing to see given a lot of people on here have a similar view about Jesse to him.

Ah yes. ‘It’s all good’.

I am currently learning to play the ukulele. I will then progress to the guitar and, in time, replace Jesse. Then you'll have something to complain about!
I, for one, look forward to hearing you murder All You Need Is Me in 10 years time.

You mean by a lot of people, of the hundreds who frequent the place, about three who can never shut up?

Not many do. Alain and Alain’s mate have both confirmed he and Gustavo left because of Jesse and their tour manager knobhead.

As far as M seeing it that way, it seems to be the See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil adage.

I know Alain and Gus departed because of the "temporary tour manager (Donnie)," but this is the first I've read of them leaving due to Jesse as well.

As far as I recall, Alain and Darrin never said naught about Jesse in the equation. Donnie was the only faultline mentioned by name.

There's no sense in stirring another pot while one is already boiling over.

Yeah, I didn't think so either. In fact, Alain and Jesse seemed to gel very well playing together...more so than I originally had thought.

Yeah, I didn't think so either. In fact, Alain and Jesse seemed to gel very well playing together...more so than I originally had thought.
The Jesse / Alain issue would have started when he was sidelined during/post Ringleader... (throw in the onstage unpleasantries / exhaustion story). Seeing another person play music you've written wouldn't help - especially as his musical work is as obvious as the writing credits on ROTT. I'd suspect he would have expected to play on Years Of Refusal too. Then the "contractually bound to find an immediate replacement", Jesse appears and 5 of his songs make it on to Ringleader.
Put that on the back burner and then add in the recent return / leaving probably opened old wounds (not to mention the role reversal).
I could deep dive all the dates and facts, but you get the gist.
Regards,
FWD.

That's interesting, considering that Alain was presumably playing Boz's parts. I didn't see any and haven't listened to many of the Alain/Jesse shows.

Jesse is the band's "musical director" since Boz's retirement, right? Whatever one thinks of Jesse's playing, that's actually the most important change in the band in recent years, don't you think?

As far as I recall, Alain and Darrin never said naught about Jesse in the equation. Donnie was the only faultline mentioned by name.

There's no sense in stirring another pot while one is already boiling over.

lol, they sure did.

I know Alain and Gus departed because of the "temporary tour manager (Donnie)," but this is the first I've read of them leaving due to Jesse as well.

Let’s hope 8stitches9lives is about to complete his final stitch.

I think Alain/Morrissey becoming a proper songwriting partnership would have worked really well. But I guess it was never the right emotional time for it.

Jesse and Morrissey seem very close - so maybe there's some kind of way they could work well as a trio??

(not surprisingly - I think new management is vital.)

From the outside, Alain's development from 2004 onwards seemed more than strange. Guitar parts, songwriting and video appearances (as a drummer) during the ROTT phase and only songwriting duties on Refusal. You could get the impression, that after 10-15 years Alain really thought he could start his own career without Morrissey. The pandemic and the almost pleading offering of Morrissey songs brought him back and then this... But I am with some here: : he didn't blame Tobias. It was all about Donnie Whalberg. You can only pray, that the new manager will make Morrissey realise, that after all these years, it does matter who is standing next to him on stage. That would be a great insight. The Dodwells' egg dance is almost an amusing side note and very low profile, in contrast to Morrissey's claims.

P.S.
However, Alain praises the original line-up from 1991 at every opportunity and would very much like to revive the furious early phase of 91/92 with them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom