Binyamina-Giv'at Ada - Zappa Amphi Shuni (July 2, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Alma Matters / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Irish Blood, English Heart / Our Frank / I Wish You Lonely / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Knockabout World / Notre-Dame (live debut) / Jim Jim Falls / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / The Night Pop Dropped / My Hurling Days Are Done / Half A Person / Everyday Is Like Sunday / The Loop / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of Hagit Yaron FB.

Last edited:
Too bad Morrissey didn't use the famous Frank Drebin meme/gif during Notre Dame song .
Before invesitations they said : There's Nothing to see here

gun-frank-drebin-unfazed-nothing-to-see-here-qznf22en4cnqdjbx.webp

Btw I like the new song , of course lyrics is poor , but music is quite catchy
popped into my head today,i think its a catchy number.

Well, there goes my theory that Without Music may see the light of day as there doesn't appear to be anything obviously 'controversial' on it. Clearly I spoke too soon.
It does seem a rather odd choice of song given the current fate of Bonfire. And whereas Bonfire as a song at least felt personal and heart-felt, emotionally Notre Dame feels rather insipid. The song is quite powerful though, for all its lyrical terseness. Musically I quite like the laid back groove.
As for the message. It's certainly an opinion. I have no idea if Moz is correct in his theory. Certainly the fire at Notre Dame was contemporaneous with a wave of church and cathedral attacks in France and Belgium, and recently in Germany. And as the whole of France came close to the brink recently, the song does seem rather poignant.

when people protest these days it ends in mob rule and these people dont care about the cause its more the case of can i loot a new pair of trainers from the local sports shop.

Bringing the energy most people his age don't have

Morrissey also started off some of his songs with cryptic videos and animations, and remarks on the Paris Riots (leading into “I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris” and “Notre Dame”), rhetorically asking “Who will save Paris? Who will save France? Who do you think?”
Sir! SIR! I know the answer to that one!!

It's YOUUU, Morrissey, Sir!!!!
You will save Paris!You will save France!

You're going to donate all your fortune to make French society better. You ARE!!

-Making sure there are enough activities in the suburbs to keep the kids away from drug dealing. (Guitar with Jesse on wed. at 4 p.m)
-Making sure policemen are recruited and trained properly to communicate with teenagers in a calm, efficient way.
-Making sure everybody at school has a filling vegetarian meal every day, and nobody is hungry.
-Making sure every youth has an easy access to nature ( and not just weed) by creating huge parks and maintaining natural areas everywhere
- making sure school is always interesting and fun to distract kids from conspiracy theories on the internet.

You will help create a generation of happier young people. You will have saved them from the emptiness and meanness of social media, the mindlessness and violence of gangs, the lack of perspectives, and the temptation to become a terrorist ( after being a looter.)

Oh wait- Morrissey Sir, you didn't mean the right-wing lady ?
What's her name-Ms Waters. I don't think she's as rich as you Sir. Not rich enough to save Paris she ain't. Has to be you Sir!!

I hope you have a nice tour and make enough money to solve problems in the muddled east afterwards.(y)(y)(y)

Lauren
Sir can you say " good morning"?

I too was a serious long-term fan. Queued up overnight on tours as recently as 2017. Bought every variant of every release. Then his For Britain support started, and my decision to cease any financial support for him has been vindicated in the years since as each new controversy arises.
Exactly where I am. It’s over.

Nice review here, plus some quotes from between songs:

That Haaretz review claims the show really only got going with Notre Dame

Re. the cause of the cathedral fire, a smouldering cigarette or spark from faulty electric wiring are the lead suspects, although mystery remains. Archaeologists since discovered 2 sarcophaguses and 2 skeletons under the spire dating from the early 18th century.

That fire, most likely an accident, occurred in April 2019, whereas a Rwandan refugee was charged with starting a fire at Nantes cathedral over a year later, but even that was judged arson rather than terrorism.

In the world of Morrissey, key events are the dates of writing of the last two unreleased albums. One would imagine the pause put on releasing Bonfire and the public reaction to the title song, would have clearly flagged what would best be avoided in the next album, for it to have a good chance of lift-off. Then we hear Notre Dame. Which is just gobsmacking. Unless the songs were already written. And didn't Morrissey say just this somewhere? But still, it could have been relegated to one of those many fine unofficial releases to appear alone for fan benefit at some time in the future, or the lyrics changed, even to a hum over the instrumental! Or numerous other alternatives, though without being in the situation, it's naturally always much easier to critique and advise. One gets attached to creations, those clingy darlings. And it can take a while for new realities to dawn.

Record company preference for diversity is blamed as per this 2020 snippet: "Make no mistake, the word 'diversity' is already trailing in the dust as an overused catchword that in fact means tighter restrictions and a fierce exclusion of individuality." The word is often used imprecisely and more for convenience, sometimes to nudge people into line. Does it bear on these songs?

Morrissey skipped dates in America last winter around the time a controversy had broken out with debate that ran for weeks on how he's characterised in the media. On his return show, (was it in New York?), he seemed to be engaging with views of people trying to alert him to the value of being careful about who peddles his name,, and of heeding shades and nuance.

3 July 2023: ISRAEL’S assault on the Jenin refugee camp amounts to a full-scale invasion. It involves 2,000 soldiers and 150 armoured vehicles. Following last month’s bombing of the camp using helicopter gunships, warplanes were today conducting air raids on an enclave 10 times more densely populated than Birmingham. Israeli military spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Richard Hecht described the operation as the biggest since 2006, when Israel invaded Lebanon. The climbing death toll adds to the more than 130 Palestinians killed by Israel in the West Bank so far this year, meaning 2023 is on course soon to exceed 2022’s grim total of 170 Palestinians killed — the highest number since 2006. These are the actions of the most extreme government in Israeli history.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) has just condemned Israel's current incursions on Palestine.

In Morrissey's orbit of admiration,Jean Genet wrote a book, Prisoner of Love, published in 1986, shortly after his death, in which he reflected on his visit to a Palestinian refugee camp where the Shatilla massacre had just taken place. He said: "I am French, but I defend the Palestinians wholeheartedly and automatically. They are in the right because I love them.” This seems to be Morrissey's position towards Israelis.

Still, Notre Dame is just a song, and Morrissey's just a singer messing around with loaded cultural jargon and playing with tropes, an equal opportunities purveyor of silliness and profundity, understanding and insults, facts and fiction. Existence is only a game. When he used to brandish the looney left image he now mocks, an expression of sympathy and indignation for living beings under attack in territory he's visiting could have been expected. So far, where these violent dispossessions are concerned, he's all lazy sunbather? It would be interesting to hear him speak more on this conflict.

Re. the cause of the cathedral fire, a smouldering cigarette or spark from faulty electric wiring are the lead suspects, although mystery remains. Archaeologists since discovered 2 sarcophaguses and 2 skeletons under the spire dating from the early 18th century.

That fire, most likely an accident, occurred in April 2019, whereas a Rwandan refugee was charged with starting a fire at Nantes cathedral over a year later, but even that was judged arson rather than terrorism.

In the world of Morrissey, key events are the dates of writing of the last two unreleased albums. One would imagine the pause put on releasing Bonfire and the public reaction to the title song, would have clearly flagged what would best be avoided in the next album, for it to have a good chance of lift-off. Then we hear Notre Dame. Which is just gobsmacking. Unless the songs were already written. And didn't Morrissey say just this somewhere? But still, it could have been relegated to one of those many fine unofficial releases to appear alone for fan benefit at some time in the future, or the lyrics changed, even to a hum over the instrumental! Or numerous other alternatives, though without being in the situation, it's naturally always much easier to critique and advise. One gets attached to creations, those clingy darlings. And it can take a while for new realities to dawn.

Record company preference for diversity is blamed as per this 2020 snippet: "Make no mistake, the word 'diversity' is already trailing in the dust as an overused catchword that in fact means tighter restrictions and a fierce exclusion of individuality." The word is often used imprecisely and more for convenience, sometimes to nudge people into line. Does it bear on these songs?

Morrissey skipped dates in America last winter around the time a controversy had broken out with debate that ran for weeks on how he's characterised in the media. On his return show, (was it in New York?), he seemed to be engaging with views of people trying to alert him to the value of being careful about who peddles his name,, and of heeding shades and nuance.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) has just condemned Israel's current incursions on Palestine.

In Morrissey's orbit of admiration,Jean Genet wrote a book, Prisoner of Love, published in 1986, shortly after his death, in which he reflected on his visit to a Palestinian refugee camp where the Shatilla massacre had just taken place. He said: "I am French, but I defend the Palestinians wholeheartedly and automatically. They are in the right because I love them.” This seems to be Morrissey's position towards Israelis.

Still, Notre Dame is just a song, and Morrissey's just a singer messing around with loaded cultural jargon and playing with tropes, an equal opportunities purveyor of silliness and profundity, understanding and insults, facts and fiction. Existence is only a game. When he used to brandish the looney left image he now mocks, an expression of sympathy and indignation for living beings under attack in territory he's visiting could have been expected. So far, where these violent dispossessions are concerned, he's all lazy sunbather? It would be interesting to hear him speak more on this conflict.
I think you're turning into the new 'Brummie Boy'...(tl:dr)

Moz certainly seems to have committed fully (in song) to the main argument put forward in the The Strange Death of Europe by Douglas Murray. Whether you agree or disagree with what Moz is saying in the song - it's brave to say what you think when you know the consequences for your career will be negative. They could even be career ending. This is certainly the end of any prospect of signing with a label. You just have to respect the man. Whether it's Ian Brown, or Van Morrison, or Morrissey - speaking your mind against the backdrop of a media that tells us nothing but lies is the essence of courage. Never have those words of John Lennon been more apt than in this decade - all I want is the truth, just gimme some truth...

Sir! SIR! I know the answer to that one!!

It's YOUUU, Morrissey, Sir!!!!
You will save Paris!You will save France!

You're going to donate all your fortune to make French society better. You ARE!!

-Making sure there are enough activities in the suburbs to keep the kids away from drug dealing. (Guitar with Jesse on wed. at 4 p.m)
-Making sure policemen are recruited and trained properly to communicate with teenagers in a calm, efficient way.
-Making sure everybody at school has a filling vegetarian meal every day, and nobody is hungry.
-Making sure every youth has an easy access to nature ( and not just weed) by creating huge parks and maintaining natural areas everywhere
- making sure school is always interesting and fun to distract kids from conspiracy theories on the internet.

You will help create a generation of happier young people. You will have saved them from the emptiness and meanness of social media, the mindlessness and violence of gangs, the lack of perspectives, and the temptation to become a terrorist ( after being a looter.)

Oh wait- Morrissey Sir, you didn't mean the right-wing lady ?
What's her name-Ms Waters. I don't think she's as rich as you Sir. Not rich enough to save Paris she ain't. Has to be you Sir!!

I hope you have a nice tour and make enough money to solve problems in the muddled east afterwards.(y)(y)(y)

Lauren
Sir can you say " good morning"?
barking by name, barking by nature.

Don’t want to to stray to far and end up with Michael’s bones and tony the pony.
Nothing wrong with either of those two songs JM, would happily take them over another tired plod through IBEH or ...Around Paris...! Hell, I'd even take 'Journalists Who Lie' just for the fresh air. The staleness is becoming stifling! Does he never look back through his vast(and pretty wonderful) body of work and contemplate the extraordinary sets he could give us? But no, here's another run through 'The Loop'!
Maybe he needs the comfort blanket of over-familiarity these days.
His audience certainly doesn't.

...And, Morrissey, Sir, when you're done saving Paris and all the French bits around it, can you set yourself on fire, the French love a good bonfire with a hero in it. Make sure to take off your walkman. Yes Sir, we know you still have one. Cos you're old, Sir.

btw, if you meant the other right-wing lady you like, she won't be around much I reckon. That's what happens to old people. They miss their chance, retire, and die and then they are replaced. She's being replaced by a younger more presentable guy, (just like one day soon Jesse will take your place.)
His name is Bordello. ( not Jesse). I'm sure you'll fancy him Sir. Might give you a hand when you save France, Sir. Unless you both end up burning the whole country down and then you'll have to record albums in Switzerland ( a country that never needs saving, as it has plenty of them.)( savi- nevermind, Sir. Don't mind me, I'm raving!)

1688506430522.png

Nothing wrong with either of those two songs JM, would happily take them over another tired plod through IBEH or ...Around Paris...! Hell, I'd even take 'Journalists Who Lie' just for the fresh air. The staleness is becoming stifling! Does he never look back through his vast(and pretty wonderful) body of work and contemplate the extraordinary sets he could give us? But no, here's another run through 'The Loop'!
Maybe he needs the comfort blanket of over-familiarity these days.
His audience certainly doesn't.
Don’t get me wrong I love most of his work. I’d like to see live versions of these songs plus I’m not sorry, sister I’m a poet, my love life etc. I just want her to enjoy it more than me. 😆

Last edited:
But then you fail to mention ‘to be on Top of the Pops these days one has, by law, to be black’ or the skinhead imagery of the Our Frank video, or the lines ‘Bengali, shelve your Western plans, cause life is hard enough when you belong here’.

Moz has always been contrarian and definitely never was left or right. He always wanted to be unclear and controversial about his politics, just like about his sexuality, and he succeeded in doing so.

The revisionist theory of some former fans that he was somehow a spokesperson for the left back in the day is hilarious and so untrue.

On a side note - I've always loved 'Bengali In Platforms'. The guitars sound so great on it, and Morrissey sounds great for sure. For me, that's one of the best tracks on VHate.

Back
Top Bottom