Billy Duffy on Morrissey in The Nosebleeds and Studio Sweethearts audition

I received a copy of the book ''The TJM Story'' a couple of weeks ago, it was self published by Tony Davidson in 2021, with a foreword by Mick Middles.
Davidson owned TJM Studios in central Manchester, where every punk / post punk band rehearsed in. If you've seen Joy Division's video for "Love Will Tear Us Apart'', it was filmed there. Davidson also ran a record label, TJM Records and promoted gigs.

The book tells's Davidson's story and has interviews with those musicians around at the time, including Billy Duffy.

Duffy had joined The Nosebleeds, which was formed from the ashes of Wythenshawe band Ed Banger & The Nosebleeds after Ed Banger left to join fellow Wythenshawe band Slaughter & The Dogs. Vini Riley was also in the original Nosebleeds line up, but he too did not join the new incarnation.

Once Duffy was in the Nosebleeds, he takes up the story.....
''At this time I was good mates with Morrissey as we both liked the New York Dolls and other early punk from that era. It was me who got him into The Nosebleeds as lead singer and I remember us both being turned away from a Talking Heads gig at Manchester Uni. You couldn't get in unless a student signed for you. I later became friends with Jerry Harrison of Talking Heads and he remembers walking in with us. Anyway, we needed a singer and the other guys asked if I knew anyone who may be suitable.

I told them about Morrissey, that he wrote lyrics. I didn't know if he could sing but he was an interesting character.

When he joined, we didn't do any Ed Banger & The Nosebleeds songs as Morrissey and I wrote a completely new set. We did loads of rehearsals but only two gigs. The first was for a Rabid Records party and the second was at The Ritz, supporting Magazine. We played six songs. As a band we were together for about six months''.

Duffy left The Nosebleeds to join Slaughter & The Dogs, ironically, as Ed Banger's short lived period as frontman ended.

''Through Rabid Records, I became friends with Mick Rossi. At that time Slaughter & The Dogs were a legitimate band and had played gigs in Europe and were punk rock legends to me. They had done a one off deal with TJM Records and had interest from a major label to form as the Studio Sweethearts. I brought Morrissey down to audition but he was considered not right for them even though I thought he had a lot to offer. I sat in at the audition and remember it clearly, it was quite surreal. He walked in with, with a definate presence about him. At first, he just narrated a few lyrics from a book, then sang a few songs. He was certainly different but I could see that he wasn't a right fit for them.''

Tony Davidson was also there at the audition.
''Slaughter had split up, Wayne (Barrett) went to France. Mick and Howard decided to form a new band. The line up was Mick Rossi, Howard Bates, Billy Duffy and Phil Rowland. There was an offer for the Studio Sweathearts to record a single with an album as a further option, however, the band needed a singer. The audition was held at TJM studios. Billy was very good friends with Steven Patrick Morrissey so he was invited to attend. I was very good friends with Mick and Howard so I was invited to sit in on rehearsals and give my opinion. Mick remembers that my first impression was that Morrissey was very introverted and shy.
Before any songs were played he began reading his lyrics out loud that he had from a book. We all listened respectfully. In all honesty, I didn't appreciate what brilliant lyrics they were and I didn't really understand them but respected his creativity. At the time the band needed an energetic frontman and he didn't fit the bill. He said he liked what he heard from the band and that the songs were good but Morrissey was at a stage where he was developing his singular style and looked upon the band as a stepping stone. We all chatted for a while and everyone agreed that he wasn't quite the fit needed. As an impartial witness to the event I could see that this was the kind of process bands go through in searching for the right blend."
20231017_173742.jpg

Last edited:
Frankly, I'd be more excited to hear any Nosebleeds demos/live recordings than BoT.

Frankly, I'd be more excited to hear any Nosebleeds demos/live recordings than BoT.
Definitely. It would be really interesting to learn more about these songs and six months the band was together.

This is very tantalizing, they must exist! Unless Morrissey bought them up and destroyed them as rumored he did with the photos of the Smiths with Dale Hibbert.

I loved the Cult and was always intrigued by Billy's connection to Moz. Those sliding doors moments in band histories.

I loved the Cult and was always intrigued by Billy's connection to Moz. Those sliding doors moments in band histories.
Same here. I've been a Cult fan since I heard the album Electric and had the opportunity to hear the album live in concert is 2014 or 2012 I think. I'll ahve to check my ticket ;)

Same here. I've been a Cult fan since I heard the album Electric and had the opportunity to hear the album live in concert is 2014 or 2012 I think. I'll ahve to check my ticket ;)
Excellent.
I got to hear their Love live concert at the Royal Albert Hall back in '09.
I had Electric, also on cassette when it came out. Really helped me with the daily commute to the job I sadly loathed. Playing that tape over kept me going, though my car's auto reverse player kept trying to eat it.
I managed to ditch the job. The car rusted out but I did eventually rebuild it back to it's old self decades later, with the original stereo - and the same tape. It let me play it one last time, all wobbly and distorted. Then it ate it for good.
Love Removal Machine...

Excellent.
I got to hear their Love live concert at the Royal Albert Hall back in '09.
I had Electric, also on cassette when it came out. Really helped me with the daily commute to the job I sadly loathed. Playing that tape over kept me going, though my car's auto reverse player kept trying to eat it.
I managed to ditch the job. The car rusted out but I did eventually rebuild it back to it's old self decades later, with the original stereo - and the same tape. It let me play it one last time, all wobbly and distorted. Then it ate it for good.
Love Removal Machine...
Lol, nice story.

I was a little kid hanging out with some much bigger kids (adults) skating and stuff. They had a van and drove us around looking for places to skate and they always had Electric playing in the van. I was far too young to know what good music was but when I heard this album for the first time I knew my days of listening to the radio were over ;)

Make sure you check out Death Cult if you haven't. It's 'Proto-Cult' but filled with energy and the Native American motif is in full swing like you've never seen. Horse Nation, Ghost Dance, Butterflies - all fantastic tracks. It really puts you 'in the circle', if you know what I mean. Death Cult only had ten or so original tracks, but their style was one of a kind.

'Sliding doors moments' - brilliant!

Duffy is super cool and has such a smooth playing style - should have made the Rolling Stone 250. Very emotive player.

I love the Nosebleeds stories. And stories about Johnny and Duffy sharing a place in London pre-Smiths too. It's too cosmic how it all worked out! :D

Morrissey supporting Magazine.
Crazy.

Would love to hear these if they existed.

Morrissey supporting Magazine.
Crazy.

Would love to hear these if they existed.

Poster advertising a gig by Magazine at the New Ritz, Manchester on Monday 8th of May 1978. Support came from John Cooper-Clarke and the Nosebleeds (who were at that time fronted by Morrissey: Paul Morley reviewed the Nosebleeds performance at the gig in the NME as follows: "The Nosebleeds have also noticeably metamorphosed though probably due more to personnel changes than anything else. Last year they were the entirely forgettable Ed Banger and the Nosebleeds (who 'created' the dirge-like single "Ain't Bin To No Music School" for Rabid Records); now Banger has gone his own so-called eccentric way. The Nosebleeds re-surface boasting A Front Man With Charisma, always an advantage. Lead singer is now minor local legend Steve Morrisson, who, in his own way, is at least aware that rock'n'roll is about magic, and inspiration. So The Nosebleeds are now a more obvious rock'n'roll group than they've ever been. Only their name can prevent them being this year's surprise.")

Poster advertising a gig by Magazine at the New Ritz, Manchester on Monday 8th of May 1978. Support came from John Cooper-Clarke and the Nosebleeds (who were at that time fronted by Morrissey: Paul Morley reviewed the Nosebleeds performance at the gig in the NME as follows: "The Nosebleeds have also noticeably metamorphosed though probably due more to personnel changes than anything else. Last year they were the entirely forgettable Ed Banger and the Nosebleeds (who 'created' the dirge-like single "Ain't Bin To No Music School" for Rabid Records); now Banger has gone his own so-called eccentric way. The Nosebleeds re-surface boasting A Front Man With Charisma, always an advantage. Lead singer is now minor local legend Steve Morrisson, who, in his own way, is at least aware that rock'n'roll is about magic, and inspiration. So The Nosebleeds are now a more obvious rock'n'roll group than they've ever been. Only their name can prevent them being this year's surprise.")
Fascinating. John Cooper Clarke is coming to Dolans Limerick soon. I shall try and be there :thumb:

Make sure you check out Death Cult if you haven't. It's 'Proto-Cult' but filled with energy and the Native American motif is in full swing like you've never seen. Horse Nation, Ghost Dance, Butterflies - all fantastic tracks. It really puts you 'in the circle', if you know what I mean. Death Cult only had ten or so original tracks, but their style was one of a kind.

'Sliding doors moments' - brilliant!
I really came on board with Love, with all the high energy hippyish vibe Ian had. Then loved the way the band morphed into the heavy stop-startedness of Electric, prob as I was always into Zeppelin. Remember the fans polarizing at the time at the new sound. Bit like the rage at Stone Roses' Second Coming - Loved that too for same reasons.
Missed out on Dreamtime but I do have a Death Cult LP somewhere with Gods Zoo. Freaky and menacing.

Much later I got the Manor Sessions, which was great but I preferred the more raw Electric. Then of course it all amped up some more.

I'm sure I've got an old NME Cult article somewhere with a neat band family tree. Includes a branch with the Morrissey connection. Billy very briefly mentioned working with him. At the time I thought "Huh??!!"

I think it may have been in Johnny's book where he mentions being with Moz and randomly bumping into Billy & Ian in Soho? They chatted a bit, but the singers were a bit cagey.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom