Morrissey Central "BEAM OF LIGHT." (May 19, 2023)

full

"Sometimes one of the most radical things you can do is to speak clearly. When someone dies, out come the usual blandishments … as if their death is there to be used. I'm not prepared to do this with Andy. I just hope … wherever Andy has gone … that he's OK. He will never die as long as his music is heard. He didn't ever know his own power, and nothing that he played had been played by someone else. His distinction was so terrific and unconventional and he proved it could be done. He was also very, very funny and very happy, and post-Smiths, he kept a steady identity - never any manufactured moves. I suppose, at the end of it all, we hope to feel that we were valued. Andy need not worry about that."

MORRISSEY.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful words by Moz ...

A bit sad that once someones dead its suddenly all unicorns and butterflies.

A beautiful tribute, whose weight comes from the unassailable sincerity that so sharply slices through. A profoundly heart wrenching day. Immensely saddening.

Deep tristesse also, for what is the first permanent step forward that can’t ever be undone again, and the beginning of the end of an era. Which is almost more than my heart can hold.

In sweeping sorrow

Wishing comfort to Andy’s loved ones

Wishing eternal peace upon Andy’s soul, now free from the chains of pain this earthly realm imparts

I don’t know what to think, really. I’m just in shock. I always thought Morrissey liked Andy, so I’m not surprised by these beautiful words from him. I’m so sorry for this loss because, no matter the reason or how long it had been since he last saw Andy, that connection will never break because they went through something so special. The beginning of everything. Andy was kind to Morrissey and I think they respected one another. This is just such awful news.
I didn't think he'd say anything mean; I thought he might say something self-servingly off-topic. Something like, "Well now the press can finally give up hope of the complete Smiths ever getting back together. I feel a sense of relief at this certainty."

This is so touching. And clearly verbalized.
It astounds me how Morrissey came out of his style expressing his feelings about Andy.

Shame he didn’t think about this when he was conniving with Marr to rob Rourke and Joyce of their fair share in the Smiths and bad mouthing them when they tried to set things right ‘couldn’t remember his own name’ was how he described Rourke when he had to hand back some of the money he’d stolen
Shut. The. f***. Up.

I didn't think he'd say anything mean; I thought he might say something self-servingly off-topic. Something like, "Well now the press can finally give up hope of the complete Smiths ever getting back together. I feel a sense of relief at this certainty."
He'd never say something like that... (how would that not be mean, btw?)

From the NY Post. Sent to me in a news alert email.
Is this accurate? Was Andy the founding member?
View attachment 91198
Depends what they mean by ‘founding member’. Johnny and Morrissey formed the band and then Mike and Dale joined. Dale was swiftly replaced by Andy before the first album was recorded. I consider all four members to be founding members.

“Andy, you have left The Smiths. Goodbye and good luck.”
Let’s not forget what a callous c*** Morrissey could be.

He was let back in, you know? Obviously, even Morrissey knew that The Smiths wouldn't be the same band without Andy. It was more of a message to Andy than anything. Lifelong addictions have their peaks and valleys, but Andy cared enough about the band to straighten-up as much as needed to perform well - once he was let back in, until the band's end.

Also, keep in mind that The Smiths were at the peak of their success when the postcard to Andy happened. They were making more money, and it's easy to spend your money on drugs when you're a young pro musician with no other responsibilities. Regarding the postcard, it was necessary at the time to open Andy's eyes, and it worked. Lots of drugs, no sleep, strange diets - can lead a very talented musician to the point where their playing becomes suspect --- I don't know if you've ever noticed...but nobody performs badly (or average) in The Smiths. Morrissey was protecting the band, sure - but, he was also smart enough to know that losing Andy would've crippled The Smiths.

I have always loved that Andy was let back into the group. That's the most important part of the story.

I'm wondering if Morrissey's recent 'drunken' plane rant episode was related to his awareness of Andy's condition? Maybe he has been in an especially vulnerable frame of mind recently. Losing his mum, on his way to visit her old house, knowing about Andy's condition... I mean, I can't personally see that he was drunk, from the video, but that seems to have been the general opinon.

I suppose, at the end of it all, we hope to feel that we were valued. Andy need not worry about that."

But not valued enough to pay him his due without rancour or spite.

Words cost nothing, however eloquent.
What a sad being you must be…

He'd never say something like that... (how would that not be mean, btw?)
It’s not mean in a frontal attack way—like “Rourke was an untalented git, and he was lucky to have ridden my coattails for so many years after the split.” That’s the kind of meanness I was not worried might come out.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom