Article: Morrissey in the media (NME on "Viva Hate" turning 25, Why Morrissey Still Matters, Top 10

NME doing a piece on Viva Hate turning 25

Posted by modrevolve in the forums (original post):

per Stephen Street on twitter (1, 2)

"Interviewed on 'phone this morning by NME as they're doing a piece on Viva Hate being 25 yrs old! Some of the questions should be directed at Morrissey but I doubt he will agree to be interviewed about his debut solo LP."

Why Morrissey Still Matters

Jon sends the link:

Why Morrissey Still Matters by Jon Paul Fiorentino - The Huffington Post

Blog - Top Ten Most Underrated Morrissey Songs

Dickie sends the link:

The top ten most underrated Morrissey songs - Dickie Felton blog

Jeremy Petersen interview

Louder Than Moz by Matthew Singer - Willamette Week
A conversation with Morrissey...or close enough.

Excerpt:

Rather than go through a whole process to inevitably get turned down, we decided to do the next best thing: Interview Jeremy Petersen, host of OPB’s In House music program and frontman for Smiths tribute act This Charming Man, and ask him the same questions we’d pose of the actual Morrissey.

See also from Willamette Week (link posted by MORRIZSEY in the forums):

From The Vault: 21 Years of Morrissey in Willamette Week
"There is a definite appeal to his campy, smart-aleck personality."

Last edited:
Re: Article: Morrissey in the media (NME on "Viva Hate" turning 25, Why Morrissey Sti

If you think it would help you then yes I will.

I'm gonna guess from the fact that you think you love a celebrity you've never met that the '2000' in your username is the year of your birth?

Re: Article: Morrissey in the media (NME on "Viva Hate" turning 25, Why Morrissey Sti

Okay lovebirds, when the two of you are done sucking each others dicks you can go back to what you came here for.

Pretty sure that is why most people are here...

You are sounding like a Christian more and more with each post. :lbf:

Christians can be naughty.

Since we are having a Christian Vs atheists attack fest and no one read my brilliant post in another thread, I thought I would repost it here....

Who wrote books of the New Testament?

1) Most biblical scholars say they were written anywhere from 70 to 200 years AFTER his death. People who weren't ever around him wrote what he said! I wonder if he was mis-quoted?

2) You get one chance to get your message out to the world, but your 12 disciples were either totally illiterate or didn't care enough to write down what you said? Great selection of followers there.

3) You are the SON OF GOD, you are actually GOD MADE FLESH; and you can't be bothered to write down your own instructions for life into a book! You can rise the dead and walk on water but you can't scribble on papyrus! You can turn water into wine and rise yourself from the dead, but don't have the time to give your final word about the mysteries of man? Sounds like Jesus is the pretentious douche, sounds like he was the first hipster; he was more about making himself look cool in the present moment than doing anything good for the rest of humanity.

Isn't it funny how Moses, Mohammed, and Joseph Smith had to be away from everyone when they received their godly messages? It's not like God created the ENTIRE UNIVERSE OR ANYTHING. It's not like he could directly beam any viewpoint he wanted you to have into your brain in whatever language you spoke. Or manifest himself into the sun or the moon, and alter the vacuum of space, so everyone around the world could hear his message! Why were those dudes so important? Why did God only speak to them? They totally don't sound like con artists AT ALL, you guyz. The sad reality is they were the world's first trolls and we've been paying for it in blood ever since.

Since we are having a Christian Vs atheists attack fest and no one read my brilliant post in another thread, I thought I would repost it here....

Who wrote books of the New Testament?

1) Most biblical scholars say they were written anywhere from 70 to 200 years AFTER his death. People who weren't ever around him wrote what he said! I wonder if he was mis-quoted?

2) You get one chance to get your message out to the world, but your 12 disciples were either totally illiterate or didn't care enough to write down what you said? Great selection of followers there.

3) You are the SON OF GOD, you are actually GOD MADE FLESH; and you can't be bothered to write down your own instructions for life into a book! You can rise the dead and walk on water but you can't scribble on papyrus! You can turn water into wine and rise yourself from the dead, but don't have the time to give your final word about the mysteries of man? Sounds like Jesus is the pretentious douche, sounds like he was the first hipster; he was more about making himself look cool in the present moment than doing anything good for the rest of humanity.

Isn't it funny how Moses, Mohammed, and Joseph Smith had to be away from everyone when they received their godly messages? It's not like God created the ENTIRE UNIVERSE OR ANYTHING. It's not like he could directly beam any viewpoint he wanted you to have into your brain in whatever language you spoke. Or manifest himself into the sun or the moon, and alter the vacuum of space, so everyone around the world could hear his message! Why were those dudes so important? Why did God only speak to them? They totally don't sound like con artists AT ALL, you guyz. The sad reality is they were the world's first trolls and we've been paying for it in blood ever since.

I DID read it. But I chose not to respond. But I will now.

I appreciate your knowledge of Christian texts, theology, and history. Knowledge is a good thing to have and often has great utility to it.

However, in the case of religion, it's all bunk. ALL of it! So, I find it to be a waste of time to pick at the holes. Yes, it can be said that if you chisel away enough of the foundation, people will be able to see over the wall. But... it is ALL an illusion. The key is getting them to see that. To accept that nothing should be taken on faith--most of all metaphysical explanations. You don't need to pander to the religionists or be a Biblical apologist (not that you are doing these things). Nor do you need to PROVE they are wrong. The burden of proof lies with the believer. :)

I DID read it. But I chose not to respond. But I will now.

I appreciate your knowledge of Christian texts, theology, and history. Knowledge is a good thing to have and often has great utility to it.

However, in the case of religion, it's all bunk. ALL of it! So, I find it to be a waste of time to pick at the holes. Yes, it can be said that if you chisel away enough of the foundation, people will be able to see over the wall. But... it is ALL an illusion. The key is getting them to see that. To accept that nothing should be taken on faith--most of all metaphysical explanations. You don't need to pander to the religionists or be a Biblical apologist (not that you are doing these things). Nor do you need to PROVE they are wrong. The burden of proof lies with the believer. :)

Yoru're wrong. It's not about religion, its about faith. It's okay to believe in something as long as its positive. Maybe if you weren't so busy worshipping the devil you might understand.

Yoru're wrong. It's not about religion, its about faith. It's okay to believe in something as long as its positive. Maybe if you weren't so busy worshipping the devil you might understand.

Something more than tells me Playcat is a troll.

When did everyone on internet message boards start believing they were cool as Andy Kaufman? You're not. Stop.

The Templars, "my dear", are what the Freemasons go back to. Freemasons worship, like you do, the snake, because in their mixed up thinking the snake represents wisdom and eternity. They told people who didn't know better a lot of bullshit, took over their possessions when they left for Jerusalem and told them that they'd get it paid back when they arrive there. Incidentally many never arrived and this is how the Templars got so rich. It runs in the family of Freemasons being liars. It is funny that people like you and other Freemasons pull the Crusaders up against Christians all the time. It is well known that people were lied at big time at the time, just as it is happening nowadays when so many like you think of themselves as "enlightened" when really you know nothing. It is a pitty for the believing Christians at the time that they didn't know better and trusted what those sickos were telling them. This is however, why nowadays people learn to read and write and why the Bible was translated into as many languages as possible. So that people could draw their own conclusions. The Bible is very clearly what is going to happen to the Freemasons and their buddies for misleading people. Too much to asked for of people like you however, who have a tough time differentiating.

There's only one snake I'm worshiping, and that is the one-eyed snake. Know that one? :lbf:

Oh dear, you are hopeless, I'm afraid.

I wonder if I'm alone in this, but I don't get any of this stuff about Moz tapping into the souls of the lonely and the tortured. I like him despite the fact that he is the most enourmous tosser because he makes bloody marvellous records.

I can only speak for myself here. Every year of my life that ended in the word "-teen" was literally a suicide-attempt-filled hell. High school was awful. People bullied me to my face. I'd come home and life at home was crap as well. I had a cousin, blood relative, who told me not to tell anyone we were related because I was weird. I played bass guitar and hung out with fellow weirdos. I had spiky hair, girls didn't spike their hair in my high school. I lifted weights. I was in ROTC. The only music remotely comforting then was Elvis Costello. I grew up Catholic, yet it was like a secret society- everybody else in my family seemed to know what was going on but wouldn't let me in on it. I joined the Army with a death wish. There was baggage that I had never dealt with. So when I bought "Meat Is Murder" in the summer of 1985 and Morrissey belted out those lines "How can you say I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does." it was like a light went on. Get to "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" and it was like "Finally! Someone is speaking to me!". "The Queen is Dead" is my favorite album because it's like a personification of "Killing Me Softly"...it was like "Holy smokes! Other people actually go through the same crap...and write songs about it?" And at 20, it was like the actualization of Rubber Ring...
For those who didn't go through misery, be thankful. Seriously. But for some of us, The Smiths were the light at the end of the tunnel and it not being an on-coming train. It was like they threw a rope over a wall and said, "Grab on! We'll pull you!" It sounds crazy, but that's the best way I can describe it.

It's not about religion. It's about relationship. There are a LOT of "positive" things out there, but not all of them are Biblical, so be wary of what you believe. I love Morrissey, have for 28 years. But Moz is not my Lord and Saviour. That title is reserved for only one, the one True & Living God. I appreciate Morrissey for what he meant to me when I literally had nothing. But, as a believer, I can honestly say that God used him, but I know God will use whatever and whomever to accomplish His Will. How does someone walk into a record shop and pick out an album from a band they never heard of, that did not get any airplay, and the shop clerk had never heard of the band? Coincidence?
There was a story of Brian Welch (used to be lead singer for Korn) and his friend, a Christian, had talked to him about Jesus. He and the friend got into his truck and Brian has asked the friend if what he had been saying was true. The friend said it was and Brian put the key in the ignition to start the truck. The truck starts, and you know how when you're jamming and you shut the car off, the radio is still cranked when you get in. So, on the radio at that moment is Nine Inch nails "Head Like A Hole" and screaming through the speakers are the lyrics: "Bow down before the one your serve..." God can even use Heavy Metal music!

The Smiths were the light at the end of the tunnel and it not being an on-coming train. It was like they threw a rope over a wall and said, "Grab on! We'll pull you!" It sounds crazy, but that's the best way I can describe it.

Well, said. I had just turned 16 and was able to go to a teenage dance club for the first time. A few months later of not talking to anyone but my friend who dragged me along, I heard "How Soon Is Now?" on a new grunge/alt format radio station. I liked the music, but hated the "gay" voice, so I changed the station. It came on again another day, and I finally listened to the lyrics, and when I did, whammo! They played that song as well as There Is A Light and I taped them off the radio, and would lay down at night between the speakers of my boombox with a blanket over my head (because my headphone input was broken) and listen to those 2 songs and Jeff Buckley's Grace for hours on end. I got The Smiths Best 1 and 2 for that Christmas, and haven't been the same since.

Everyone else should talk about the first time they "got" Morrissey or The Smiths. I find these stories quite lovely, maybe start a new thread.

There's only one snake I'm worshiping, and that is the one-eyed snake. Know that one? :lbf:

Apparently you didn't get the memo that it's hip to be prude. :cool:

It's not about religion. It's about relationship. There are a LOT of "positive" things out there, but not all of them are Biblical, so be wary of what you believe. I love Morrissey, have for 28 years. But Moz is not my Lord and Saviour. That title is reserved for only one, the one True & Living God. I appreciate Morrissey for what he meant to me when I literally had nothing. But, as a believer, I can honestly say that God used him, but I know God will use whatever and whomever to accomplish His Will. How does someone walk into a record shop and pick out an album from a band they never heard of, that did not get any airplay, and the shop clerk had never heard of the band? Coincidence?
There was a story of Brian Welch (used to be lead singer for Korn) and his friend, a Christian, had talked to him about Jesus. He and the friend got into his truck and Brian has asked the friend if what he had been saying was true. The friend said it was and Brian put the key in the ignition to start the truck. The truck starts, and you know how when you're jamming and you shut the car off, the radio is still cranked when you get in. So, on the radio at that moment is Nine Inch nails "Head Like A Hole" and screaming through the speakers are the lyrics: "Bow down before the one your serve..." God can even use Heavy Metal music!

You get it.

Why would would God choose to intervene when, say, a teenager is feeling a bit shitty and walks into a record store in search of 'salvation', but not when people like Myra Hindley and Ian Brady are raping, torturing and murdering little children one after the other? Bit harsh of him, don't you think? You're applying "God's Will" to your own selfish circumstances and seeing whatever you want to see to back up your delusions. What a crock of shit.

Last edited:

Why would would God choose to intervene when, say, a teenager is feeling a bit shitty and walks into a record store in search of 'salvation', but not when people like Myra Hindley and Ian Brady and raping, torturing and murdering little children one after the other? Bit harsh of him, don't you think? You're applying "God's Will" to your own selfish circumstances and seeing whatever you want to see to back up your delusions. What a crock of shit.

I'll go you one better:

IT DOESN'T MATTER

Why would would God choose to intervene when, say, a teenager is feeling a bit shitty and walks into a record store in search of 'salvation', but not when people like Myra Hindley and Ian Brady are raping, torturing and murdering little children one after the other? Bit harsh of him, don't you think? You're applying "God's Will" to your own selfish circumstances and seeing whatever you want to see to back up your delusions. What a crock of shit.

Transubstantiation gone wrong. It happens. Sometimes the blood and body of Christ transubstantiates into evilness, like the Christ consciousness gets configured into a body that reads it;s signs wrong and gets it in it's head to harm and kill and make money and be greedy. In the long term, good comes from the evil "sacrifice" but it's a messy topic that liturgical teachings haven't eloquently figured out a way to reasonably explain.

Transubstantiation gone wrong. It happens. Sometimes the blood and body of Christ transubstantiates into evilness, like the Christ consciousness gets configured into a body that reads it;s signs wrong and gets it in it's head to harm and kill and make money and be greedy. In the long term, good comes from the evil "sacrifice" but it's a messy topic that liturgical teachings haven't eloquently figured out a way to reasonably explain.

Hey did you hear The Pope regenerated?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom