Article: Morrissey in the media (NME on "Viva Hate" turning 25, Why Morrissey Still Matters, Top 10

NME doing a piece on Viva Hate turning 25

Posted by modrevolve in the forums (original post):

per Stephen Street on twitter (1, 2)

"Interviewed on 'phone this morning by NME as they're doing a piece on Viva Hate being 25 yrs old! Some of the questions should be directed at Morrissey but I doubt he will agree to be interviewed about his debut solo LP."

Why Morrissey Still Matters

Jon sends the link:

Why Morrissey Still Matters by Jon Paul Fiorentino - The Huffington Post

Blog - Top Ten Most Underrated Morrissey Songs

Dickie sends the link:

The top ten most underrated Morrissey songs - Dickie Felton blog

Jeremy Petersen interview

Louder Than Moz by Matthew Singer - Willamette Week
A conversation with Morrissey...or close enough.

Excerpt:

Rather than go through a whole process to inevitably get turned down, we decided to do the next best thing: Interview Jeremy Petersen, host of OPB’s In House music program and frontman for Smiths tribute act This Charming Man, and ask him the same questions we’d pose of the actual Morrissey.

See also from Willamette Week (link posted by MORRIZSEY in the forums):

From The Vault: 21 Years of Morrissey in Willamette Week
"There is a definite appeal to his campy, smart-aleck personality."

Last edited:
Re: Article: Morrissey in the media (NME on "Viva Hate" turning 25, Why Morrissey Sti

Edges are no longer parallel
This is not your country
Skin Storm
I've changed I'll plea to guilty
My dearest love
Because of my poor education
I'm playing easy to get
Mexico
My life is am endless succession of people saying goodbye
Oh well I'll never learn

I could keep going, and all are better than Lost.

Re: Article: Morrissey in the media (NME on "Viva Hate" turning 25, Why Morrissey Sti

The primary element of Morrissey's continued success is his intensely devoted fan base, and this devotion is inspired by his ability to write heart-wrenching, brutally honest lyrics that connect with the audience in a way that no other songwriter could possibly achieve. Many people have discovered M through friends or acquaintances, not because of an article written in NME. Then, once the man has entered your soul, it is a relentless, life-long committment.

This. The first time I heard his music was through my sister when she came home from college and played some cassette tapes for me.

Not being from England, I always thought of the NME as a podunk, obscure British magazine so I was really surprised to learn that they think everybody's reading them for Morrissey news -- or that they think anyone cares about their opinion of Morrissey.

No, America is not the world, but neither is England.

The primary element of Morrissey's continued success is his intensely devoted fan base, and this devotion is inspired by his ability to write heart-wrenching, brutally honest lyrics that connect with the audience in a way that no other songwriter could possibly achieve. Many people have discovered M through friends or acquaintances, not because of an article written in NME. Then, once the man has entered your soul, it is a relentless, life-long committment.

Romanticised nonsense. His commercial success, such as it is, has depended on a variety of things; the lyrics are only one small factor. Let's be honest: nobody buys a Morrissey record these days for the lyrics. Beyond that, though, he wouldn't have had any fan-base at all, let alone an "intensely devoted" fan-base without the NME's (and other esteemed institutions') unstinting support during the 1980s.

Romanticised nonsense. His commercial success, such as it is, has depended on a variety of things; the lyrics are only one small factor. Let's be honest: nobody buys a Morrissey record these days for the lyrics. Beyond that, though, he wouldn't have had any fan-base at all, let alone an "intensely devoted" fan-base without the NME's (and other esteemed institutions') unstinting support during the 1980s.

481293_476505372414483_934873417_n.jpg

The majority of Morrissey's American fanbase came aboard well after the Smiths, and I doubt that many of them were inspired to do so by reading NME articles; yet, they continue to strongly support him today. I agree that there are numerous factors that have contributed to Morrissey's success, although I stand by my original statement that the lyrics are by far the most influential. Other elements of his success include an angelic voice, superior intellect, wit, refusal to give into the mediocrity that prevails in his industry, sensuality that appeals to diverse segments of the population, a beautiful face, an equally beautiful physique, and a magic flying-off shirt. Let's face it; he may not have the sales that U2 or other mass-appeal bands have, but he has inspired a sense of loyalty in his followers that other artists could never attain. In everyday life, he may struggle with social interaction, but on stage, the man exudes charisma and sensuality, and more importantly, he creates an unbreakable bond with his audience. As for his writing, he has admittedly been in a bit of a slump the past two years, but that could easily be attributed to the exhausting tour schedule that he has been maintaining. Still, his entire catalogue clearly demonstrates a literary talent that outshines any other songwriter. He is the only artist who can bring people to tears with his words one minute, then suddenly rip off his shirt and whip those same people into a collective frenzy. I believe that he is the love child of Sappho and Dionysus.

The majority of Morrissey's American fanbase came aboard well after the Smiths, and I doubt that many of them were inspired to do so by reading NME articles; yet, they continue to strongly support him today.

I'm sure that what you say is true, but the point is that without the platform afforded him by the UK's music press (i.e. NME/Melody Maker/Sounds) in the 1980s, Morrissey would not have had a vehicle through which to market himself to a potential audience and build a public profile. In the pages of those publications, he was able to sell himself as a certain sort of person. NME allowed him the opportunity to cultivate and present something more elaborate than is possible in three-minute pop songs. Without the NME's endless promotion throughout that decade, he would've been just another singer in just another left-field band that John Peel liked to play on his late-night show and, talented or not, (and like so many others) he would eventually have sunk without trace. Remember - as Morrissey, himself, has acknowledged many times - the mainstream media were almost completely uninterested in The Smiths during their lifespan. Without the NME's foundational contribution to his career, therefore, Morrissey couldn't have built the fan-base upon which his career in entertainment has relied. He would not have gone on to sell lots of records in the US or fill stadiums. Instead, he'd have reverted to living as the local weirdo in the back streets of Manchester and signing on the dole every fortnight. Success in pop music isn't based on merit.

I agree that there are numerous factors that have contributed to Morrissey's success, although I stand by my original statement that the lyrics are by far the most influential.

If that were genuinely the case, then why is there so little discussion of his lyrics on this message board? Analysis and appreciation of what he has written is comparatively rare either on this message board or other boards devoted to him.

Does anyone really buy an album these days? iTunes songs are 99¢ to $1.29, much cheaper than $15.99+ for a full CD. I bought my first Smiths album in 1985- Meat Is Murder- I liked the album cover. First slide out of the sleeve and I inadvertently put on Side B- I was treated to that incredible wailing-whining guitar of How Soon Is Now? They never got airplay in DC. I bought the UK magazine-record combo called "Debut" where they featured new music from new artists. You could buy them in the 'Cutout' bins at the record store for $1.99 since they were outdated. Mine had The Smiths on the cover and featured "Pretty Girls Make Graves". That article was the only one I could find at the time. The fan-base in the 80s was a lot of word-of-mouth; I have read, so far, 2 Smiths documentary books...now working on "The Severed Alliance". They may have been everywhere in UK during the 80s, but you really had to work at your Smiths fandom if you weren't in New York. I never heard of the magazine NME until I started reading these books. They obviously did alright for themselves despite several major glitches with issuing major songs as B-Sides. How Soon Is Now? should have been THE song for them.

Viva Hate. Masterpiece.

Viva Hate. Masterpiece.

Viva Hate...pretty much love the whole album. I had to buy it on vinyl because the tail end of Bengali in Platforms fades out with Morrissey doing this little laugh in tempo with the music. On the CD it fades out before you hear it. On the cassette it was very clear, but my cassette is long gone.

If that were genuinely the case, then why is there so little discussion of his lyrics on this message board? Analysis and appreciation of what he has written is comparatively rare either on this message board or other boards devoted to him.

Because one would have to have read "Songs That Saved Your Life". I'm still a bit floored how the press could have gotten a pedophilic vibe from the songs "Handsome Devil", "This Charming Man" and "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle", 'cuz when I heard them back in the 80s, that never occurred to me- maybe you had to be an adolescent to know where The Smiths were coming from! And I always thought that the song "Rubber Ring" referred to that imprint on a guy's wallet from a condom. Goes to show you...

Last edited:

Does anyone really buy an album these days? iTunes songs are 99¢ to $1.29, much cheaper than $15.99+ for a full CD. I bought my first Smiths album in 1985- Meat Is Murder- I liked the album cover. First slide out of the sleeve and I inadvertently put on Side B- I was treated to that incredible wailing-whining guitar of How Soon Is Now? They never got airplay in DC. I bought the UK magazine-record combo called "Debut" where they featured new music from new artists. You could buy them in the 'Cutout' bins at the record store for $1.99 since they were outdated. Mine had The Smiths on the cover and featured "Pretty Girls Make Graves". That article was the only one I could find at the time. The fan-base in the 80s was a lot of word-of-mouth; I have read, so far, 2 Smiths documentary books...now working on "The Severed Alliance". They may have been everywhere in UK during the 80s, but you really had to work at your Smiths fandom if you weren't in New York. I never heard of the magazine NME until I started reading these books. They obviously did alright for themselves despite several major glitches with issuing major songs as B-Sides. How Soon Is Now? should have been THE song for them.

They certainly weren't "everywhere" in the UK either during the 1980s. In fact, outside of the "serious" music press and night-time BBC Radio 1 shows, The Smiths public profile was negligible. That's why NME was so important to Morrissey and that's why the blithe criticism of the NME is so misguided.

Yes, this is very true.

I wonder if I'm alone in this, but I don't get any of this stuff about Moz tapping into the souls of the lonely and the tortured. I like him despite the fact that he is the most enourmous tosser because he makes bloody marvellous records.

I wonder if I'm alone in this, but I don't get any of this stuff about Moz tapping into the souls of the lonely and the tortured. I like him despite the fact that he is the most enourmous tosser because he makes bloody marvellous records.

Yes. You're alone in saying that.

Alone? :lbf:
You should fit in beautifully at morrissey-solo. Add in the proviso "he used to make bloody marvellous records" and you could even be top dog...

Alone? :lbf:
You should fit in beautifully at morrissey-solo. Add in the proviso "he used to make bloody marvellous records" and you could even be top dog...
Do you not like the later additions to the canon?

I'm sure that what you say is true, but the point is that without the platform afforded him by the UK's music press (i.e. NME/Melody Maker/Sounds) in the 1980s, Morrissey would not have had a vehicle through which to market himself to a potential audience and build a public profile. In the pages of those publications, he was able to sell himself as a certain sort of person. NME allowed him the opportunity to cultivate and present something more elaborate than is possible in three-minute pop songs. Without the NME's endless promotion throughout that decade, he would've been just another singer in just another left-field band that John Peel liked to play on his late-night show and, talented or not, (and like so many others) he would eventually have sunk without trace. Remember - as Morrissey, himself, has acknowledged many times - the mainstream media were almost completely uninterested in The Smiths during their lifespan. Without the NME's foundational contribution to his career, therefore, Morrissey couldn't have built the fan-base upon which his career in entertainment has relied. He would not have gone on to sell lots of records in the US or fill stadiums. Instead, he'd have reverted to living as the local weirdo in the back streets of Manchester and signing on the dole every fortnight. Success in pop music isn't based on merit.

The lyrics are pretty good I guess, but without great tunes no one would listen.

You are not alone. Surely there are others who feel the same as you.

You know, that might be true. So many dickheads on this site and its just a place to come and vent your angry hateful opinions. Should be called "Why I hate Morrisseysolo".

Hey Reality, did you and the other asshole ever meet up for coffee?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom