Morrissey Central "18 YEARS AGO TODAY" (March 27, 2024)

1000015643.jpg

You're right the reviews were super positive.
I thought we were in for an absolute treat.
Beautiful orchestral arrangements, an absolutely legendary producer (T Visconti), a brand new songwriter composing a large chunk of the albums compositions (for the first time in 15 years).
And yet we somehow ended up with an album of indie stodge.
Thankfully things improved with pretty much every subsequent album (except Low in High School).
Dog on a Chain is brilliant - his best since the 90's.
I think I’d think more fondly of the album if it didn’t conclude with At Last I am Born: a song only the parent could love.

¡Sí! Una de esas grandes caras B 'ocultas'.

' No estoy huyendo
estoy corriendo hacia
La corrupción del espíritu no está en ello.
Para un hombre guapo de la ciudad

¿Tienes miedo de alguien vivo?
¿Te sientes desconsolado?
Porque nunca te confundirán con un
¿Un hombre guapo de la ciudad?

Tienes tu título
Luego volaste a Marte
Pero todavía te sientes miserable porque
Nunca estarás desnudo con un
Hombre guapo de la ciudad.

Y otro gran coautor de Tobias...

' Entonces, ¿qué crees que soy?
¿Y con qué precisión podrías decir
¿Una piel decente es todo lo que soy?
la gente piensa mal de mi
Pero algún día tal vez elogien
Ah, pero mientras tanto...

sabia que yo era el siguiente
Y no me importó
Aquí te ofrezco mi vida por cualquier deuda que tengas
Y cuando has estado deprimido por última vez
No hay nada que nadie pueda hacer para lastimarte

Las sombras de los árboles me alcanzan
Saben que una piel decente es todo lo que soy
la gente piensa mal de mi
Pero cuando esté en la tumba tal vez me elogien
Ah, pero mientras tanto...'

Yes! one of those great ‘hidden’ b-sides.

I'm not running away
I'm running to
Corruption of the spirit isn't in it
For a good looking man about town

Are you afraid of someone alive?
Are you feeling heartbroken
Because you'll never be mistaken for a
Good looking man about town?

You got your degree
Then you flew to Mars
But you still feel wretched 'cause
You'll never be naked with a
Good looking man about town’

And another great Tobias co-write …

So what do you think I am?
And how precisely could you tell
A decent skin is all I am?
People think badly of me
But one day maybe they'll praise
Oh but meanwhile...

I knew I was next
And I didn't mind
Here I offer you my life for any debts you're due
And when you've been down for the very last time
There is nothing anyone can do to hurt you

The shadows of trees, they reach to me
They know a decent skin is all I am
People think badly of me
But when I'm in grave maybe they'll praise
Oh but meanwhile...’

I think in that interview Moz said that Tobias is a "black panther." I don't know why I never liked J Tobias... Maybe he's a great person! I prefer Alain a thousand times as a guitarist and on top of that he's beautiful

always said some of his b-sides were better than a lot of artists a-sides.
Most definitely. I’ve Changed My Plea, Never-Played Symphonies, Michael’s Bones, I’d Love To, Sister I’m, Such a Little Thing… the list is endless.

Funny how things spark thoughts that make you look at other things. I also loved this song and the album, I went to see him in 06 and have pictures but can't remember where it was, I also joined this site in June of that year so I assume I went to a date on the May tour of that year.

Image020.jpeg

Funny how things spark thoughts that make you look at other things. I also loved this song and the album, I went to see him in 06 and have pictures but can't remember where it was, I also joined this site in June of that year so I assume I went to a date on the May tour of that year.

View attachment 102924
First time I ever saw him live was April 1st 2006, and then one more time in Reading in May. Life-changing is such a melodramatic term, but it nearly was.

As I live and breathe....

Dude, have you completely lost the plot?
It's meat and potatoes indie filler at best.
Thank heavens he discovered the colourful, inventive Hispanic sounds on the subsequent albums.
Ringleader is just awful. It's no co-incidence that he's virtually never played anything off it in the last 10 years, other than very occasionally Life is a Pigsty (its only genuinely great song).
It's a simple pop song - but deceptively so. The lyrics work on so many levels. On one level the song is about something every human being can relate to - being emotionally and spiritually 'crushed' or 'destroyed' by another human being, probably due to a certain four letter word called 'love'. But there is so much more going on in those very simple lyrics. Is the narrator playing some sort of dark role play? I will be Pasolini and you be the 17-year old rent boy who killed him. There are few artists out there other than Morrissey who put songs like that on the radio.
And was there ever a lyric that better sums up Morrissey's life and his current career predicament? Who am I that I...come to be here? That line could be written on his tomb stone.

It's a simple pop song - but deceptively so. The lyrics work on so many levels. On one level the song is about something every human being can relate to - being emotionally and spiritually 'crushed' or 'destroyed' by another human being, probably due to a certain four letter word called 'love'. But there is so much more going on in those very simple lyrics. Is the narrator playing some sort of dark role play? I will be Pasolini and you be the 17-year old rent boy who killed him. There are few artists out there other than Morrissey who put songs like that on the radio.
And was there ever a lyric that better sums up Morrissey's life and his current career predicament? Who am I that I...come to be here? That line could be written on his tomb stone.
"gashonthenail" has just nailed it 👌 "

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom