Zagreb - Zagreb Fair, Hall 9 (Dec. 12, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

The Queen Is Dead / Suedehead / Speedway / Staircase At The University / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Kiss Me A Lot / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Istanbul / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / Trouble Loves Me / The Bullfighter Dies / Scandinavia / Smiler With Knife / How Soon Is Now? / Certain People I Know / I'm Not A Man / Yes, I Am Blind / Meat is Murder // Asleep / Everyday Is Like Sunday

set list provided by K. and Pit Maravich (order not 100%).

Last edited:
So I was at the gig (also went to the O2 gig). Found myself on airport pickup duties today (sat 13.12.14), and went into Zagreb a day early for the gig.

I didn't hear him say he was happy to be there many times (or at all) as someone said. I guess I have the 02 to compare to. The crowd was better at the 02 (to be expected), but he was better in Zagreb. Played 3 more songs than in London. Good mood, he wasn't impressed with the lack of reaction after Meat is Murder and I think he soured a bit afterwards. Also, few tears were shed after Smiler With Knifes and he went to the drums, turned his back to the audience, took something out of his pocket and inhaled it or swallowed it or something. I was on the side so had a clear view. He also said "I'm only human" as he wiped his tears. Ripped his shirt off after encore Everyday is like Sunday, and Tobias gave the world's BIGGEST EYE ROLL at that point. Honestly, he seems like a bit of an ass. What else? During the encore he was shaking hands with the front row and they kept trying to pull him in, Boz came forward and eyed them all off. Asleep was powerful, as was Suedehead and How Soon is Now. The rest kinda went over the crowds head.

Great night. Took my aunty who hadn't ever heard of him and she was blown away. She kept saying "I enjoyed every second!". Cute. It was excellent, really really good. Like I said, I'd rate him better than 02 but the crowd only really knew 3-4 songs. In fact, a few people around me were asking "how come you know all the lyrics" ha! Wish I was in Belgrade too...

Peace

Mina

You've probably missed it then - one of the first reviews also mentions one of the instances:
http://www.vecernji.hr/estrada/da-j...a-i-da-svaki-dan-svira-morrissey-uzivo-979111

"Publici je zahvaljivao na simpatičnom hrvatskom "fala,fala" pa kazao: - Ne moram vam ni reći koliko mi je drago što sam ovdje s vama. Sve znate."
or as translated:
"I do not have to say how glad I am to be here with you. You know everything".

Another thing to mention, he was sneezing all through the gig. I've notice it on 3-4 occassions, once in the middle of the songs, between the verses.

It's pretty creepy when it's done live.

death is creepy... amongst other feelings...

:(

i wish health to all who love to live.

p.s. apologies... my interpretation of 'smiler with knife' is complex. you provoked me a bit with your comment but this is not the thread about its
lyrics. i wish you all the best in this world :) and i'm also sorry for being slightly pathetic :)

So I was at the gig (also went to the O2 gig). Found myself on airport pickup duties today (sat 13.12.14), and went into Zagreb a day early for the gig.

I didn't hear him say he was happy to be there many times (or at all) as someone said. I guess I have the 02 to compare to. The crowd was better at the 02 (to be expected), but he was better in Zagreb. Played 3 more songs than in London. Good mood, he wasn't impressed with the lack of reaction after Meat is Murder and I think he soured a bit afterwards. Also, few tears were shed after Smiler With Knifes and he went to the drums, turned his back to the audience, took something out of his pocket and inhaled it or swallowed it or something. I was on the side so had a clear view. He also said "I'm only human" as he wiped his tears. Ripped his shirt off after encore Everyday is like Sunday, and Tobias gave the world's BIGGEST EYE ROLL at that point. Honestly, he seems like a bit of an ass. What else? During the encore he was shaking hands with the front row and they kept trying to pull him in, Boz came forward and eyed them all off. Asleep was powerful, as was Suedehead and How Soon is Now. The rest kinda went over the crowds head.

Great night. Took my aunty who hadn't ever heard of him and she was blown away. She kept saying "I enjoyed every second!". Cute. It was excellent, really really good. Like I said, I'd rate him better than 02 but the crowd only really knew 3-4 songs. In fact, a few people around me were asking "how come you know all the lyrics" ha! Wish I was in Belgrade too...

Peace

Mina

Was he using an inhaler?

I can't tell if he was wiping swear or tears.

Peace

Mina

What dramatics!!!! Openly weeping after playing several flamenco songs in a row, and then having no reaction to Meat is Murder. Flamenco is audience murder.
Further histionics and utterances of 'I am only human', with Boz scaring off any possible threat to his meal carnet, while the Moz rips his shirts and sashays off stage. LOL

Was he using an inhaler?

I can't tell if he was wiping swear or tears.

You know, that was the first thing I thought too! Maybe (hopefully). I don't know if he has a history of asthma or inhaler use, but it's possible. It didn't look like a pill or anything, it was as if he inhaled something, maybe up his nose :p ?

Regarding him saying he was happy to be there, well he said it at the start. The other poster implied he was saying it throughout or numerous times. He wasn't as chatty as in London, nor as thankful. At the O2 there was much more crowd interaction, coming and going from both ends.

He cried during Smiler with Knives, no doubt about it. Also the sneezing, I noticed it a few times too but it was intentional (like in London).

death is creepy... amongst other feelings...

:(

i wish health to all who love to live.

p.s. apologies... my interpretation of 'smiler with knife' is complex. you provoked me a bit with your comment but this is not the thread about its
lyrics. i wish you all the best in this world :) and i'm also sorry for being slightly pathetic :)

Nope. I see nothing "pathetic" coming from your direction at all. :)

When I said "creepy" initially, it was because his voice, in this particular clip, sounded phantom like, otherworldly. That's all. But, yes...it is haunting as well.

It is a complex song, lyrically (and instrumentally, if you were to really get into things). It can be interpreted on so many levels. If you look at the speaker of it as Morrissey himself, you can pick it apart one way, if you view the speaker as your everyday woman/man, it can take on all new meanings. Is there rape? Is the "smiler" someone the speaker knew? Was this meeting of theirs deliberate in a way? It's open to many, many views.

I do love to hear what others think about it, too, since, as Moz points out, each person brings something new to the song...which is why this one is genius. You can PM me if you wanted to talk about it. I'd love to hear what you have to say about "Smiler." My door is always open.

I do love to hear what others think about it, too, since, as Moz points out, each person brings something new to the song...which is why this one is genius. You can PM me if you wanted to talk about it. I'd love to hear what you have to say about "Smiler." My door is always open.

you're kind, i will when i decide to register here.

this place isn't visited by zagreb fans :(

review with mostly b-w pictures:

http://www.tportal.hr/showtime/glaz...ium=fanpagetportal&utm_campaign=facebookshare

another review with small gallery:

http://www.ravnododna.com/morrissey-na-zagrebackom-velesajmu-bila-je-to-dobra-seva/

His jeans don't even fit anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Zagreb report
http://www.ravnododna.com/morrissey-na-zagrebackom-velesajmu-bila-je-to-dobra-seva/

When I said "creepy" initially, it was because his voice, in this particular clip, sounded phantom like, otherworldly. That's all. But, yes...it is haunting as well.

It is a complex song, lyrically (and instrumentally, if you were to really get into things). It can be interpreted on so many levels. If you look at the speaker of it as Morrissey himself, you can pick it apart one way, if you view the speaker as your everyday woman/man, it can take on all new meanings. Is there rape? Is the "smiler" someone the speaker knew? Was this meeting of theirs deliberate in a way? It's open to many, many views.

I actually started a thread about the lyrics to this song back in July when the album was released. If you're interested: http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/131772-Lyrics-to-Smiler-With-Knife

Back
Top Bottom