Years Of Refusal is a classic

I got told by some people that they don't like Morrissey's presumptuousness and self-awesomeness by telling that this is the best album he did. I could kick those people in their three letters...!
I do think it's a great album. Lyrically, vocally and musically.

YOR is better than VAI and YATQ.

Tru fax.:thumb:

Wwwwwwwhat?? :confused: :crazy:

And for what concerns the lyrics, I just want to say that the line saying "...and the smiling children tell you that you smell", IS real poetry, so ironic, so true, so feet on the ground. I want to say it because so many people have indicated this line to underline he has lost his touch. Well, he hasn't. If I have to critic something is the overwhelming abuse of the verb "To kill"...I would expect more fantasy from him, and at his age, the will to talk about something else and new...All this, of course, doesn't mean he's lost his capability of writing great lyrics.

Apparently, there is a fine line between real poetry and real laziness.
just sayin'

It's good but not as good as Quarry.

After many listens, I feel I personally can judge Years Of Refusal a classic Morrissey album. Songs like Skull, Mama, maybe Paris, All you need is me, Birthday and Farewell are really THAT good! For what concerns the other songs, well same good level as many other good songs on other albums. What do you think?

I think you have gone mad...:)

Mama, Paris, and Goodbye are classics? Classics, right up there with "Everyday is Like Sunday," "The Last of the Famous International Playboys," and "November Spawned a Monster" is baffling to me.

For me everything on YOR has already been done on another Morrisey album and done better. There is no major lyrical insight, no masterwork, hell I think "Life is a Pigsty" is better, and far more ambitious than anything on "YOR."

I hardly ever listen to VAI...
Shit, I thought I was the only one! Maybe we should form a collective or something...
I mean it has got classic songs on it, 'Now My Heart Is Full', 'More You Ignore Me..', 'Lifeguard..', 'Hold Onto..', but everytime it comes up around on the i-pod I always think 'oh I'll listen to that next time', but the last time was about 6 months back.
I think it's also cos it's seen as this stone cold classic by critics, pundits, eejits, and the catch-all homogenous group known as 'fans'. It's an album that 'everyone' knows Moz can never top, and I honestly don't think that's the case. Cos I seem to recall back in the day alot of 'fans' were quite perturbed with 'V&I'. They saw him sign up with Steifel/Phillips mgmt and thought this was a corresponding musical shift into more MOR territory. So I've always taken this hindsight hagiographic view on 'Vauxhall' with a fist of salt.
:o
Plus I cannot believe we've almost hit 30 replies on a 'Refusal' thread without hearing from Vauxhall95! ;)

For me Vauxhaul and I is his fin de siecle, and I don't think it will ever be bettered. He's never going to go back to that (non) sound. That album for me was about his lyrics, and not a pre-concieved notion of what it should sound like.

i like this take on it.

I don't really think you're :crazy:, I just really love VAI.

I like it too, but not as much.

Shit, I thought I was the only one! Maybe we should form a collective or something...
I mean it has got classic songs on it, 'Now My Heart Is Full', 'More You Ignore Me..', 'Lifeguard..', 'Hold Onto..', but everytime it comes up around on the i-pod I always think 'oh I'll listen to that next time', but the last time was about 6 months back.
I think it's also cos it's seen as this stone cold classic by critics, pundits, eejits, and the catch-all homogenous group known as 'fans'. It's an album that 'everyone' knows Moz can never top, and I honestly don't think that's the case. Cos I seem to recall back in the day alot of 'fans' were quite perturbed with 'V&I'. They saw him sign up with Steifel/Phillips mgmt and thought this was a corresponding musical shift into more MOR territory. So I've always taken this hindsight hagiographic view on 'Vauxhall' with a fist of salt.
:o

This.:thumb:

I think you have gone mad...:)

Mama, Paris, and Goodbye are classics? Classics, right up there with "Everyday is Like Sunday," "The Last of the Famous International Playboys," and "November Spawned a Monster" is baffling to me.

For me everything on YOR has already been done on another Morrisey album and done better. There is no major lyrical insight, no masterwork, hell I think "Life is a Pigsty" is better, and far more ambitious than anything on "YOR."

Everyone seems to have lower standards these days about everything.

When the bar is set so low, anything can be considered a classic.

I think it easily ranks among his best work. It's not as good as Vauxhall but I think it's unimpeachably better than Quarry, which has a couple songs of filler. The last two tracks on Years aren't quite up to snuff, but at least they set an aesthetic; I don't think "All the Lazy Dykes" or "America is Not the World" do that. Years of Refusal is at times Morrissey's most robust, alive record. The music is by no means innovative, but it interacts with Morrissey's atonishing vocals (the quality of which ought not to be discounted when evaluating this album ) in interesting ways. "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" goes from tenderness to brutal violence, musically, vocally, lyrically. It's a good example of the great range of emotion he commands on this album, and it's one of his finest songs in my opinion.

I think it easily ranks among his best work. It's not as good as Vauxhall but I think it's unimpeachably better than Quarry, which has a couple songs of filler. The last two tracks on Years aren't quite up to snuff, but at least they set an aesthetic; I don't think "All the Lazy Dykes" or "America is Not the World" do that. Years of Refusal is at times Morrissey's most robust, alive record. The music is by no means innovative, but it interacts with Morrissey's atonishing vocals (the quality of which ought not to be discounted when evaluating this album ) in interesting ways. "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" goes from tenderness to brutal violence, musically, vocally, lyrically. It's a good example of the great range of emotion he commands on this album, and it's one of his finest songs in my opinion.

:clap: Couldn't have said it better :thumb:

Does anyone know how many units this album has sold worldwide so far? I agree, the album has grown on me, its very strong.

its definitely up there with Pet Sounds, Whats Going On, Revolver and OK Computer for me....... or whatever else Q (is it still going?) decree is the best album of all time this month.

I agree. I adore it.

It's weird, because I hated it when I first heard it. Of course... I was in the middle of a semi-psychosis at the time, but still. Strange.

Back
Top Bottom