Years of refusal problems?

2megatherion

Perhaps it's just me, but I find that as time goes on, Morrissey's albums seem to feature his voice as just an element of the band instead of the main element - could this be a sign of the band exerting greater influence on him?

"One day goodbye will be farewell" for example - the drums are constant and too loud in comparison to his voice, stops it from sounding as good as it could.

Oh for some Morrissey Unplugged, with just him and someone with an acoustic guitar!!

I quite like the album, but I totally agree. Even as recently as You are the Quarry Morrissey was the main event of the songs- now suddenly it's all blimmin' great drum solos and rockier stuff that I don't object to especially, but that's not why I listen to a Morrissey album. I want to hear the words!!

I can see what you mean and also with guitarist Jesse Tobias writing a couple of songs on the album, there is quite a big influence musically now.

And also the title that Boz has as "Musical Director". Still a cracking album though :)

Get well soon Moz x

Even as recently as You are the Quarry Morrissey was the main event of the songs- now suddenly it's all blimmin' great drum solos and rockier stuff that I don't object to especially

It's hardly a new phenomenon - just look at 'Southpaw' or 'Your Arsenal', or even 'Ringleader'.

Personally I like it when Morrissey and the band sound like one united force (as, indeed was the case with the Smiths), though I can appreciate that some would prefer a return the poppier sound of the early solo years.

What YoR misses is a "Seaside, Yet Still Docked", back to basics, where the vocals carry much of the melody.

My fleeting opinion of course. Think someone above mentioned the idea of an unplugged set.. now that would be very welcome :)

I think his voice is still quite high in the mix compared to most recordings today. I can hear every word as usual. Morrissey is the one artist I never need a lyric sheet for.

Oh for some Morrissey Unplugged, with just him and someone with an acoustic guitar!!

If by "someone" you mean "Boz 'Not Jesse Tobias' Boorer", I agree.

Or if by "someone" you also mean "Alain Whyte makes a comeback", I also agree.

I think the band do drown him out.

Also Ringleaders had a strange quality to the sound if you know what I mean which I couldn't really put my finger on that I didn't like.

It's hardly a new phenomenon - just look at 'Southpaw' or 'Your Arsenal', or even 'Ringleader'.
QUOTE]

Totally disagree.

Your Arsenal was heavier but was so led by the vocals, any instrumental lead lines were interesting and felt worthwhile. Those on YoR are just dull and any old nonsense run of the bill thumping. Just look at I'm OK By Myself - that intro (which feels way too long anyway) is just a bunch of chords with the odd note picked out here and there, it could've totally lifted that drab song to have a lead line running over it.

Also I think ROTT is very vocal lead too - I can't think of many songs where his vocals aren't easily the main focal point. But then I'm in the minority that feels that in years to come people are going to feel rather silly for how they dismissed ROTT.

There are so few saving points on YoR, it's cemented it's place for me as easily his weakest and most uninspired solo record to date. Just lumbering pubrock and lyrics about as prominent and worthwhile as a tamborine line. Plus it's autotuned to hell as well - anyone wondering why he's not been playing Birthday live?? He can't sing like that....

Yeah, I agree with nearly everyone. The band sound works very well on some of the tracks, but I just wish there was more balance between those songs and some nicer, stripped-down songs.
The worst offender in my opinion is the drumming on 'One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell'. Everytime I listen to it, I can't shake the image of Morrissey sitting atop a washing machine. That's how it sounds to me, anyway.

I think the band do drown him out.

Also Ringleaders had a strange quality to the sound if you know what I mean which I couldn't really put my finger on that I didn't like.

Good point. I perceived it to be a synthetic quality that was absent in his earlier work, due mostly to production. But there is also something else. I'll listen to it again today and see if anything new occurs to me.

Back
Top Bottom