The Apolitical Years of Refusal

Something struck me about YOR. All Moz does is moan and groan and drone on about himself and the fans (plenty of bitter barbs towards them), but there is no sense of any real engagement with the world outside his head in any real societal sense. He used to be really political and controversial. Now fans who think he was better when he was younger (which, of course, he was, and he knows it too) have 'just died'. It's sort of sad, really, though we expect nothing else but solipsism from the man, at least to a degree. But a lot of the sentiments expressed are old and, to me at least, boring.

Something struck me about YOR. All Moz does is moan and groan and drone on about himself and the fans (plenty of bitter barbs towards them), but there is no sense of any real engagement with the world outside his head in any real societal sense. He used to be really political and controversial. Now fans who think he was better when he was younger (which, of course, he was, and he knows it too) have 'just died'. It's sort of sad, really, though we expect nothing else but solipsism from the man, at least to a degree. But a lot of the sentiments expressed are old and, to me at least, boring.

i've noticed recently he has released more 'topical' songs as B-sides (see Children In Pieces, Slum Mums, Teenage Dad, shame is the name etc.) rather than as singles as he used to.

Re: The Apolitical Years of Refusal.

Now fans who think he was better when he was younger (which, of course, he was, and he knows it too) have 'just died'. It's sort of sad, really, though we expect nothing else but solipsism from the man, at least to a degree. But a lot of the sentiments expressed are old and, to me at least, boring.

Doing good and franc music, it's already a political position. Plus, you can't be the same at 50 years old than at 25. And his talent can't be summarised by his lyrics. What I appreciate the most in him it's how he puts his voice (and found a melody) whatever the music behind is, whatever the lyrics are.

Last edited:
He used to be really political and controversial. Now fans who think he was better when he was younger (which, of course, he was, and he knows it too) have 'just died'. It's sort of sad, really, though we expect nothing else but solipsism from the man, at least to a degree. But a lot of the sentiments expressed are old and, to me at least, boring.
Sorry? When?
Controversial perhaps, but political ? I don't really see it myself, unless it's the old idea of 'the personal is political'.
And you claim that Morrissey has changed for the worse in this regard but then say 'we expect nothing else but solipsism' from him. So why such a big surprise?
Plus I really don't understand that particular reading of 'You Were Good In Your Time'. I don't think it's anything to do with the fans.

Back
Top Bottom