"World Peace..." - looks to chart in US in lower teens

Weird Al outselling Morrissey in the US by a factor of 5-6 to 1.

Early Numbers Show Weird Al Yankovic Headed For First Number 1 Next Week - Vintage Vinyl News (via Music-News.com)

Excerpt:

The other big release for the week, Morrissey's World Peace is None of Your Business, is looking to sell between 14,000 and 16,000 in the U.S., putting it in the lower teens. The album is currently vying for the number 1 spot in the U.K. with Ed Sheeran.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not going to lie...I’m not really a big “chart” guy. I don’t care where stuff that I like charts, but for some reason (and maybe it’s because I know how important it is to him because of reading Autobiography) I’m honestly upset that the album isn’t doing better.

Here we go again. Oh woe is Morrissey.Poor Morrissey. The rich man who causes hypocritical controversy in the news .The one who lies.He is the one engaged in his business dealings. Not the people he whines to when he thinks he did not get enough publicity. I am sick of it .If you want to piss and moan about the album and it's rankings in the US perhaps you should look at his actions of the past few years. He has even driven some long time fans away. It's not everyone else's fault or responsibility to make excuses for this guy.He doesn't care about people anyway but likes to name drop when he has the chance. Yes, woe is Morrissey his whole life and the things he says are a LIE. I can't listen to excuses on his behalf anymore.

Better yet, you can ignore him and his fans altogether. Step number one, stop posting on his fan site.

Take #6, Sam Smith*, for example. I know for a fact his label paid ClearChannel to play him on the radio because they actually made the "sponsorship" disclaimer as required by US law. But since then he gets played with no such disclaimer. Do you think Harvest paid ClearChannel to play a Moz single? Uh, no.

* His single is about how he wants his one night stand to stay with him because otherwise he'll be lonely if the one he used does not stick around to keep him company. Uh huh....

Currently at 17 on UK itunes chart...

56r4APB.jpg

P.

His single is about how he wants his one night stand to stay with him because otherwise he'll be lonely if the one he used does not stick around to keep him company. Uh huh....

Earth is the loneliest planet of all, if you exclude the others.

So...he's going to sell less records in the whole of the USA than the capacity for a single gig at the Staples Centre where he was scheduled to play a couple of months ago? That's depressing, isn't it?

Here's some more perspective---peak chart positions for Morrissey albums---

48, 52, 21, 18, 66, 61, 11, 27, 11. If this thing gets to 13-17 on the charts, it's a massive success, all things considered. Why are you all kvetching? Have you no sense of history & reality?

Here's some more perspective---peak chart positions for Morrissey albums---

48, 52, 21, 18, 66, 61, 11, 27, 11. If this thing gets to 13-17 on the charts, it's a massive success, all things considered. Why are you all kvetching? Have you no sense of history & reality?

Those chart placings would have required significantly more sales to reach those positions. I vaguely remember reading of a recent album by a modish pop star which, after weeks in the charts, went back to number one in the UK chart having sold less than ten thousand copies that particular week.

Three copies in Canada, if true, seems a disappointing return on the face of it, unless the last album sold four, in which case he's only 25% down, which I suppose is still, at least, recoverable.

Perhaps we are seeing the result not only of a distinctly average album but perhaps also just how many fans have turned their back on him after his views on the Queen's visit to Ireland, Nurse Saldanha, the Chinese, meat eaters being no better than paedophiles and, of course, the absolute pinnacle of his disgusting idiocy, Utoya.

Each one of those will have cost him fans, then you can add the cancellations on top. Maybe the chickens are coming home to roost.

Morrissey's self-made little world, surrounded by that nervous group of men-at-arms, from Keeper of the Hair at his right, down through Salt Shaker Pursuivant, all the way to the Musical Director In Ordinary, means he is utterly out of touch with the world. The title track tells you just how far, containing all the political insight of a toddler taking a crayon to your new wallpaper.

You're missing the point. Weird Al is gonna get a #1 slot with 85,000! NOBODY BUY ALBUMS, PEOPLE ARE LESS & LESS EVEN BUYING DIGITAL. Stop blaming Morrissey for an industry in tatters (or at least transitioning to a straight streaming model), when he did, all things relative, the exact same as he always does in terms of performance.

Those chart placings would have required significantly more sales to reach those positions. I vaguely remember reading of a recent album by a modish pop star which, after weeks in the charts, went back to number one in the UK chart having sold less than ten thousand copies that particular week.

Three copies in Canada, if true, seems a disappointing return on the face of it, unless the last album sold four, in which case he's only 25% down, which I suppose is still, at least, recoverable.

Perhaps we are seeing the result not only of a distinctly average album but perhaps also just how many fans have turned their back on him after his views on the Queen's visit to Ireland, Nurse Saldanha, the Chinese, meat eaters being no better than paedophiles and, of course, the absolute pinnacle of his disgusting idiocy, Utoya.

Each one of those will have cost him fans, then you can add the cancellations on top. Maybe the chickens are coming home to roost.

Morrissey's self-made little world, surrounded by that nervous group of men-at-arms, from Keeper of the Hair at his right, down through Salt Shaker Pursuivant, all the way to the Musical Director In Ordinary, means he is utterly out of touch with the world. The title track tells you just how far, containing all the political insight of a toddler taking a crayon to your new wallpaper.

Nonsense.

Morrissey has been making controversial statements and cancelling concerts since the dawn of time. Nothing has changed.

You may think the album is average but it has received mostly very positive reviews.

The public do not buy albums in anything like the number that they used to and Morrissey hasn`t done enough publicity. Plus there has been no major single release. As simple as that.

I do agree that he's totally out of touch-he doesn't do anything himself, including salting his food. He can't even go out to dinner without 2 security guards. Johnny Depp, who's far more famous, has been out to dinner while filming in Boston with no security. His lyrics have gone downhill because they are no longer autobiographical-he has his every whim catered to every single day, there's no longer anything interesting in his life to write about so he's been reduced to writing songs about how tax payers are fools and how college students are under pressure. It's all about money for him now.

Apart from the lack of promotion and all the usual stuff, the only reason that serves for me to explain his by all means predicted low commercial performance in the USA is that people - even longstanding fans - are fed up with his constant and systematic concert cancellations, showing thus a lack of respect and neglect for his fanbase.
Had he wanted to have any realistic chances of charting higher, he should have pulled himself together and proceeded with the last USA tour no matter what.
Anyway, considering the times, he's still going to sell at least 50,000 CDs worldwide in the first week of release, possibly more so - which can't be that bad, after all.

People on twitter are saying a UK tour in October is going to be announced.

Is he insane? He can no longer get through a tour, yet he still keeps booking them.

Good luck to the insurance company on this one.

Well, J. Lo's latest album (released in June) flopped, too, selling around 50K in the span of a month or so. She's a far bigger "star" than Morrissey, with none of the controversy. Quick, where are the Johnny Barleycorns of the J. Lo board to take her to task? Oh right, no one in their right mind thinks or cares that much about someone they both dislike and don't know personally.

So what went wrong?

"The secret is just getting the lead single right," says Andrew Hampp, a senior branding correspondent at Billboard. Like other music veterans Shakira, Britney Spears and Enrique Iglesias — who have all seen diminishing returns on their latest efforts — Mariah and J.Lo, both 44, "didn't have a top-10 hit leading into their releases. If you want a good first week these days, you need a hit."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ifer-lopez-albums-dead-in-the-water/11926903/

Well, J. Lo's latest album (released in June) flopped, too, selling around 50K in the span of a month or so. She's a far bigger "star" than Morrissey, with none of the controversy. Quick, where are the Johnny Barleycorns of the J. Lo board to take her to task? Oh right, no one in their right mind thinks or cares that much about someone they both dislike and don't know personally.

So what went wrong?

"The secret is just getting the lead single right," says Andrew Hampp, a senior branding correspondent at Billboard. Like other music veterans Shakira, Britney Spears and Enrique Iglesias — who have all seen diminishing returns on their latest efforts — Mariah and J.Lo, both 44, "didn't have a top-10 hit leading into their releases. If you want a good first week these days, you need a hit."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ifer-lopez-albums-dead-in-the-water/11926903/

Which is exactly why he needs Alain back...or Street...or Marr...or preferably all three. 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business' is amazing...but I can't help but feel he's missing out by not accepting demos from as many songwriters as possible.

how many did he sell in the u.s? curious if it sold more units here or there

I’m honestly upset that the album isn’t doing better.

I'm upset about it, too... I hate that all these high hopes I had for the record being a big success have been dashed. I feel bad about it. Strangely enough, I feel kind of embarrassed as a member of the country who "loves Moz the most" or whatever...

Back
Top Bottom