Wolverhampton Civic Hall 1988 full video posted at smithstorrents.co.uk

I did hear that this concert was put on to make the official music video for last of the famous.....obviously , it went Pete tong with all the stage invasions etc which is why another music video was made for lotfip.

I wonder if this would happen today given the shite band he has , I'm not so sure.

It's weird. It maybe not an official Smiths gig, but maybe NME just picked up on the fact that everyone on the stage is from The Smiths and playing a few Smiths songs.

It's strange that Marr was phoned up to attend the gig and play...I wonder if that's true?

Yes it's weird but I've read about it.

"..In the meantime, Morrissey had contacted Marr proposing a Smiths farewell concert, but the guitarist refused to be drawn. He was still annoyed about the circumstances surrounding the announcement of the split and saw no point in organizing a funeral just to satisfy Morrissey. 'I did bear him a lot of ill feeling at the time,' Marr told me, 'right up until I joined The The really.' " - excerpt from 'Morrissey & Marr: The Severed Alliance' by Johnny Rogan

Last edited:
Yes it's weird but I've read about it.

"..In the meantime, Morrissey had contacted Marr proposing a Smiths farewell concert, but the guitarist refused to be drawn. He was still annoyed about the circumstances surrounding the announcement of the split and saw no point in organizing a funeral just to satisfy Morrissey. 'I did bear him a lot of ill feeling at the time,' Marr told me, 'right up until I joined The The really.' " - excerpt from 'Morrissey & Marr: The Severed Alliance' by Johnny Rogan

Thanks for this. There's also a brief snippet about this in Mozipedia, where Johnny jokes that Moz would have kidnapped him if he'd turned up for a farewell gig.

"Marr later made a comical comparison between the Stamp-Samantha Eggar relationship and himself and Morrissey when asked why he declined the singer's offer to play a Smiths farewell concert in 1987 after they'd split. "I probably would have been kidnapped", laughed Marr, "have you seen the film The Collector?".

I think I can see where he's coming from...:lbf:

Possibly you are the only active user who actually saw the gig.

I was there, though I guess I don't count as an active user? Drove down from Rossendale with a couple of friends on the morning of the gig and still managed to get in. When it got rather chaotic we ended up somewhat nearer the front than we were........ Me and my mate Ian feature on Hulmerist, outside in the queue. I have literally been waiting for this every day of the last 25 years! It was a great month for gigs too; Morrissey, The Fall, New Order, and the Wedding Present too I think!

I wonder if some bright spark could overlay the crowd mania from the bootleg over this and also add the snippets from Humerist during the intro of Klaus. That would make it the best it could be.

I just noticed that during "Disappointed" one of the stage-invader-girls sang along with Morrissey "I love you now" ... but how could she have known this line? The song hadn't been released back than, and it to my knowledge it had never been played live before. So how did she know that line?

I just noticed that during "Disappointed" one of the stage-invader-girls sang along with Morrissey "I love you now" ... but how could she have known this line? The song hadn't been released back than, and it to my knowledge it had never been played live before. So how did she know that line?

It was the B-side of Everyday Is Like Sunday, which was released about 6 months before the Wolverhampton gig

Gasp!!!

Just returned from holiday to find this - Bonus

Suedehead was Feb, Sunday was May '88.
You can hear people cheer when he says this is the last song I shall..... as per the song too.
Regards,
FWD

Poor Craig Gannon, so many f-ups.

He did pretty well considering the circum standings of the tard people running around him on stage and bumbing into him. He's better than the people he has now who cant even play a Smiths song decent, accept for playing some power chords where there has to be pickings and riffs :)

Back
Top Bottom