Who makes Solo so low?

I'd say mostly the folks on the main board who do nothing but bitch.

Trolls, anonymous or otherwise. people who come here looking to stir up arguments and drag Morrissey's name through the mud on the way. Aside from trolls. a series of other bitter ex-fans who come to this site claiming to still have an interest in Morrissey despite never having a nice word to say about him.

I come here because empty pages in diaries are so 1988

The idiots on the main page, not to mention the trolls around here. :mad:

Fortunately, the mods manage to nip most of them in the bud.

Definitely the numpties on the main page, I don't even bother reading their comments, I come here to be informed and entertained.

I was going to post a rant so thank you for this. Unfortunately, there are many things. I came to Solo to inform people of pics and videos I had to share from shows. To my amazement, instead of posting something constructive about the offerings the threads just trail off into nonsense about ridiculous personal crap. I thought this was for sharing not personal chatrooms for the incredibly bored/stupid/immature. I don't want to wade through stupidity to find something interesting. Your intellect seems to be on par with your ability to spell. And what is with all the bashing? It is understandable to be upset over postponement but would that be encouragement for an artist to return? And deconstructing so many songs to say how horrible they are??? It would make sense if Moz indeed dislikes this site. It has left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm reconsidering even bothering in sharing from my upcoming shows. There are some good people on this site who use it for its intended purpose - can one of them convince me otherwise?

I've browsed back through archives and found some incredibly unpleasant discussions from the past. I imagine it would be things like that that have made Moz dislike this site.

However, while the main page discussions are troll- and hater-heavy due to the ability to post anonymously, the forum boards are full of interesting discussions.

As far as negative posts go, it's one thing to come on here and post something like, "God, Moz sucks, he's so gay, he's so lame..." stuff that isn't constructive or insightful and doesn't even raise any interesting points. But I see more of, "I like Moz, but there is this song and I don't like the lyrics because..." or, "I wanted to go see Moz and my show got canceled, and I'm mad because he's acting like a primadonna, what's the deal?" That stuff may be negative, but at least they have a point and something to say. I can't believe Moz would have a problem with people not liking him or disagreeing with him as long as they are basically respectful. But I can understand why he hates it when people are just mean, nasty, freaky, or hurtful for no reason other than because they have time to kill.

On the boards, here in the last couple of weeks, I've participated in some really good Moz-sparked discussions about vegetarianism, and poverty and the food industry, and American politics. And of course, I've also stared, dreamy-eyed, at the Frink thread. I have a busy life. We all do. The fact that we choose to spend some of our time posting and reading here should make it very obvious that we care about Moz. And I don't think this fact is lost on him...

I've browsed back through archives and found some incredibly unpleasant discussions from the past. I imagine it would be things like that that have made Moz dislike this site.

However, while the main page discussions are troll- and hater-heavy due to the ability to post anonymously, the forum boards are full of interesting discussions.

As far as negative posts go, it's one thing to come on here and post something like, "God, Moz sucks, he's so gay, he's so lame..." stuff that isn't constructive or insightful and doesn't even raise any interesting points. But I see more of, "I like Moz, but there is this song and I don't like the lyrics because..." or, "I wanted to go see Moz and my show got canceled, and I'm mad because he's acting like a primadonna, what's the deal?" That stuff may be negative, but at least they have a point and something to say. I can't believe Moz would have a problem with people not liking him or disagreeing with him as long as they are basically respectful. But I can understand why he hates it when people are just mean, nasty, freaky, or hurtful for no reason other than because they have time to kill.

On the boards, here in the last couple of weeks, I've participated in some really good Moz-sparked discussions about vegetarianism, and poverty and the food industry, and American politics. And of course, I've also stared, dreamy-eyed, at the Frink thread. I have a busy life. We all do. The fact that we choose to spend some of our time posting and reading here should make it very obvious that we care about Moz. And I don't think this fact is lost on him...

Agreed with completely. :)

I too have looked at the archived stuff...those are just ridiculous.

I have suggested requiring registration for the front page and/or linking the forum account with posting on the front page...

Also...my other suggestion would be making registration more than just replying to an automated email to keep people from trolling while the Moderators are out to lunch...

I was going to post a rant so thank you for this. Unfortunately, there are many things. I came to Solo to inform people of pics and videos I had to share from shows. To my amazement, instead of posting something constructive about the offerings the threads just trail off into nonsense about ridiculous personal crap. I thought this was for sharing not personal chatrooms for the incredibly bored/stupid/immature. I don't want to wade through stupidity to find something interesting. Your intellect seems to be on par with your ability to spell. And what is with all the bashing? It is understandable to be upset over postponement but would that be encouragement for an artist to return? And deconstructing so many songs to say how horrible they are??? It would make sense if Moz indeed dislikes this site. It has left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm reconsidering even bothering in sharing from my upcoming shows. There are some good people on this site who use it for its intended purpose - can one of them convince me otherwise?

Exactly. It's so tedious to wade through all this shit and look for an intelligent post because some threads are full of inane personal drivel no one is interested in. There's a chatroom, there's ICQ and MSN and whatnot, so why spam the board with this crap?! It's really off-putting.
The bashing because of the cancellations baffles me. It's fairly normal to be disappointed and a bit angry, I understand that, but I can't understand all the hate and name calling. There's absolutely no need for that. Reading some of the posts you might think that Morrissey got ill on purpose just to annoy them ;)

When I first started lurking here a little over a year ago I was really put off by all the negativity. I didn't even really see it as trolling at first, b/c there was so much of it and it seemed that was just what half the people here were like. :( But this site, as it is now, doesn't even resemble what it was like when I first found it. The mods are doing a great job *applause for the mods* and I know it's and endless, thankless task. Those Moz-bashing threads that used to turn my stomach are moved or deleted now, when they used to stay and go on forever. I still avoid the front page b/c of the anonymous trolls, but actually even that is way better than it used to be.

If Moz does know what goes on here (and I think there's a fair amount of evidence in his recent lyrics and comments to suggest he does) I hope he looks farther than the main page. If he reads very much, I find it hard to believe that he still hates this whole site, b/c it's obvious that there are a lot of very positive people and thoughtful opinions here. Besides that, there's an awful lot of unconditional love for Moz here. :)

I've had some good talks on Solo, but by and large the place upsets me.

All I ever seem to read, when I click onto the forum, is a laundry list of "Morrissey's a prima donna and a has-been and a liar, because he canceled my show/released an album I don't like; my needs are always paramount, and my taste is the only truth," "what is Morrissey's opinion on such and such an issue? Will I disagree" and "I fret today about this specific feature of Morrissey's body. Is he unhealthy? Is he wearing out?"

There's just so much bitchiness. And there's room for it, yes; I could bitch, if asked, about "America is Not the World" or some of his more knee-jerk politics or his loud trumpeting of Jesse back in the day or his apparent opinion that the world of music publishing rests permanently in 1962, or...

And I do. But not all the time! It's just not interesting enough! If I'm just looking for some specific fulfillment that he can't provide, I can listen to something else, read something else. If I disagree with his politics or business decisions - well, honestly, are artists interesting for their politics? Generally? An interesting discussion can be got out of the subject (see, for one recent example, Worm's dissection of "America Is Not The World") but pointing out the issue, in and of itself, isn't very interesting. That's why he's an artist and not a politician.

I'm just confused as to why the ratio of anxiety about Morrissey's politics and worldly decisions to actual discussion of his enormous body of work -one of the most extraordinary self-portraits in literary history, and one that's brutal as often as it is flattering- is so skewed. I mean, we could discuss the politics in light of that, but we don't. All we seem to do is quote lines that seem to prove or disprove our point.

Why do people so rarely seem to discuss Morrissey's actual music here? Why do so many of us seem to think appreciating him is a matter of continuously judging whether he's "good" or "bad" today based on a list of five or six specific points, when the entire thrust of his music -music which raised the majority of us, I think- embraces a completely opposite worldview? Why do people insist on commenting on things Morrissey not only obviously knows, but jokes about, as if they're the very first people ever to notice and it is a matter of deadly importance? (Sure, let's talk about his continuing to remove his shirt despite the deadly crime of being middle-aged, but let's talk about it with the understanding that Morrissey apparently still sings "Let Me Kiss You" solely so that he can perform the ritual on the line about being "someone that you physically despise" - isn't that sort of a complicating factor? Isn't he saying something about sensuality and age and self-adoration/self-loathing? Or maybe he just doesn't know he's got love handles now, that really must be it).

Anyway, I really do believe that Solo is full of intelligent, decent people who actually like Morrissey, and I have no desire to single anybody out, but I'm confounded at its general inability to give him credit for anything, its generally overwhelming interest in the ways that he could better fulfill the individual tastes of its members, and its obsession with judgment at the expense of conversation.

However, again, people I like often seem to say that Solo's quite redeemable, that they've had lots of good discussions here - maybe what's at work is simply that both of us see 20 terrible threads and 1 good one, and I go, "oh, twenty terrible threads" and you go "one good one!"

Last edited:
I've had some good talks on Solo, but by and large the place upsets me.

All I ever seem to read, when I click onto the forum, is a laundry list of "Morrissey's a prima donna and a has-been and a liar, because he canceled my show/released an album I don't like; my needs are always paramount, and my taste is the only truth," "what is Morrissey's opinion on such and such an issue? Will I disagree" and "I fret today about this specific feature of Morrissey's body. Is he unhealthy? Is he wearing out?"

There's just so much bitchiness. And there's room for it, yes; I could bitch, if asked, about "America is Not the World" or some of his more knee-jerk politics or his loud trumpeting of Jesse back in the day or his apparent opinion that the world of music publishing rests permanently in 1962, or...

And I do. But not all the time! It's just not interesting enough! If I'm just looking for some specific fulfillment that he can't provide, I can listen to something else, read something else. If I disagree with his politics or business decisions - well, honestly, are artists interesting for their politics? Generally? An interesting discussion can be got out of the subject (see, for one recent example, Worm's dissection of "America Is Not The World") but pointing out the issue, in and of itself, isn't very interesting.

I'm just confused as to why the ratio of anxiety about Morrissey's politics and personal life to actual discussion of his enormous body of work -one of the most extraordinary self-portraits in literary history, and one that's brutal as often as it is flattering- is so skewed. I mean, we could discuss the politics in light of that, but we don't. All we seem to do is quote lines that seem to prove or disprove our point.

Why do people so rarely seem to discuss Morrissey's actual music here? Why do so many of us seem to think appreciating him is a matter of continuously judging whether he's "good" or "bad" today based on a list of five or six specific points, when the entire thrust of his music -music which raised the majority of us, I think- embraces a completely opposite worldview? Why do people insist on commenting on things Morrissey not only obviously knows, but jokes about, as if they're the very first people ever to notice and it is a matter of deadly importance? (Sure, let's talk about his continuing to remove his shirt despite the deadly crime of being middle-aged, but let's talk about it with the understanding that Morrissey apparently still sings "Let Me Kiss You" solely so that he can perform the ritual on the line about being "someone that you physically despise" - isn't that sort of a complicating factor? Isn't he saying something about sensuality and age and self-adoration/self-loathing? Or maybe he just doesn't know he's got love handles now, that really must be it).

Anyway, I really do believe that Solo is full of intelligent, decent people who actually like Morrissey, and I have no desire to single anybody out, but I'm confounded at its general inability to give him credit for anything, its generally overwhelming interest in the ways that he could better fulfill the individual tastes of its members, and its obsession with judgment at the expense of conversation.

However, again, people I like often seem to say that Solo's quite redeemable, that they've had lots of good discussions here - maybe what's at work is simply that both of us see 20 terrible threads and 1 good one, and I go, "oh, twenty terrible threads" and you go "one good one!"

... Yeah! What she said. *nods*

I agree with what you said, except this. There are still bad threads, but nowadays I think they are less common than the good ones. If anything I think it's a 50/50 ratio, with the good threads starting to overtake the bad ones on most days. I'm not like, a cheerleader for Solo or anything, I completely agree that there are still reasons to dislike it, and the truth is for a long time I actively hated it. For a long time I came here only to do searches for interviews and to read gig reports and look at pictures. But I did start to notice improvements, and that was when I started reading and posting more. So I can't help thinking that the people who believe it's redeemable feel like I do, that it is better, and (IMHO) it's getting better still, in here anyway. (The main page still has a long way to go).

I also think it's better that the mods are fairly lenient, and only ban the obvious trolls and move or delete the truly offensive threads. I think it says more about the people who post here that when semi-bad threads appear, often after a good round of telling the thread starter to f*** off, the thread gets ignored and drops down never to be seen again. And often it seems like people will try to bump the better threads or start new ones to push the bad ones off page 1. This doesn't always happen but it does often enough that I've noticed it. I think that's an indication that most people here are pretty serious about wanting to have good discussions, and more importantly are aware that this board is public and Moz is an actual person, not a fictional character on TV or something. Overall I think this board does a way better job of policing itself with minimal interference from the mods, and keeping things in order than just about every other board (non Morrissey related, with heavy mod interference) I've come in contact with.

Are you hoping we can psychologically save you? :D

I have faith in you.

You know, i dont even check main boards unless I have to, because the forums are much better organized and most people are pretty decent here.

I don't think there's nearly as many wasted threads as some people are saying there are. And I do believe a few on this site are awfully pretentious. Its just a forum. A forum for morrissey fans. I don't think people have to talk about morrissey's music day in and day out on it. that is why we have separations like "off topic" and the like.

This is for fun, and anyone writing books on how people are selfish and inane on morrissey-solo is taking this forum way too seriously.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom