Where is all the music?

V

VWchc

Here's my dilemna. I live in Cincinnati, the most musically devoid place on earth. To proclaim an interest in Alternative music puts you in the midst of Matchbox 20 and Alanis Morrissete. I was lucky enough to accidentally stumble on to Morrissey by myself, but that seems to be the only music that I can listen to. There has to be other music (though not quite of the same calibur) but of the same genre an sound. I'm just having immense difficulty knowing where to look for it. Before Morrissey it was a lot of the Cure and REM which is undeniably good music, but I'm needing more. After a long talk until 6 am to my older friend he turned me on to a few things, but though he was there for the good music, he's now mere into emo and indie pop. On his reccommendation I went out and bought Siouxsie and the Banshees and Bauhaus and I do like it, but my question to anyone who can help me is what else is out there? I know where I could find the actual albulms if I could be turned on to actual bands, so ANY suggestions to fill out the Morrissey-esqe taste of mine would be appreciated

morrissey-esque.....I don't think I have ever heard another band that reminds me of moz......but I know some bands that got influenced by the smiths and moz.....best one is "311"

"placebo" does sligtly remind me of moz.....but needs more work on lyrics...thats about it

kakarot

> morrissey-esque.....I don't think I have ever heard another band¿ that reminds me of moz.....

yes, there's no one.

but i like radiohead and thom yorke said that moz was a huge influence to him...

the most popular brazilian rock group, legião urbana, were known as the "brazilian smiths"... but i don't think it's a good choice!

You could always try out some of the ones who influenced the bunch you mentioned ... Velvet Underground, Nico, Bowie 71-79, Roxy Music 73-75, ... and for a much-underrated contemporary of Siouxsie et al - Howard Devoto's Magazine.

¿ morrissey-esque.....I don't think I have ever heard another band¿ that reminds me of moz......but I know some bands that got¿ influenced by the smiths and moz.....best one is "311"

Sorry man, but the best one are deftones...

Darren

I've always liked Sunny Day Real Estate. If your friend likes emo I'm sure he has listened to them. Although not morrissey-esque, it still sometimes gives the the same feelings. Either them or Napalm Death...(just kidding =)

Darren¿ Here's my dilemna. I live in Cincinnati, the most musically¿ devoid place on earth. To proclaim an interest in Alternative¿ music puts you in the midst of Matchbox 20 and Alanis¿ Morrissete. I was lucky enough to accidentally stumble on to¿ Morrissey by myself, but that seems to be the only music that I¿ can listen to. There has to be other music (though not quite of¿ the same calibur) but of the same genre an sound. I'm just¿ having immense difficulty knowing where to look for it. Before¿ Morrissey it was a lot of the Cure and REM which is undeniably¿ good music, but I'm needing more. After a long talk until 6 am¿ to my older friend he turned me on to a few things, but though¿ he was there for the good music, he's now mere into emo and¿ indie pop. On his reccommendation I went out and bought Siouxsie¿ and the Banshees and Bauhaus and I do like it, but my question¿ to anyone who can help me is what else is out there? I know¿ where I could find the actual albulms if I could be turned on to¿ actual bands, so ANY suggestions to fill out the Morrissey-esqe¿ taste of mine would be appreciated

Re: GENE, SMOKING POPES, NEW YORK DOLLS

Hmmm try Gene (splendid on LP Drawn To The Deep End), Radiohead (innovative), Smoking Popes (rock on), NEW YORK DOLLS(One of Morrissey's Greatest Loves according to interviews), the lyrics of Chuck Schuldiner for the band Death are superb and so incredibly heartfelt especially on LPs Symbolic, and Human.

DEATH, From Rivers Of Sorrow To Oceans Deep With Hope

The wisdom of a fool won't set you free

If you like Siouxsie then maybe switchblade symphony, Sisters of mercy, legendary pink dots..of course peter murphy(much better solo then when with Bauhaus era and i have always thought this since his 1st solo album was released!) Since you said you liked the Bauhaus album and siouxsie these are along the same genre and are somewhat easy to find since they are more popular and i suggest if you try Sisters of mercy get "1st and last and always" or "Floodland" 1st..stay far away from "vision thing" Also I always have to push New Order the pop group with a dark past.. but its to early in the moring for me to think of anymore.. one word MP3's

Cheers~!
Mll

an Interlude

if you like suoxise get interlude ...duet with her and moz...I think it is beautiful though most people don't

that's strange

that's strange, kakarot! you said that most people don't like interlude, but how? i didn't know it! the two vocals are simply wonderful, siouxie lows her voice when one expects a cry... the effect is marvelous... and moz voice, so lovable...¿ if you like suoxise get interlude ...duet with her and moz...I¿ think it is beautiful though most people don't

Back
Top Bottom