What are the odds? Will Moz get a new record deal?

Re: Why can't Morrissey get a record deal?

Can I just point a couple of things out to all you people who say Morrissey wants a Major & wouldn't sign to an indie:

1, Even Morrissey must be aware that the goalposts have moved. 21 by Adele is the biggest selling album of the 20th century & the 5th biggest selling album of all time in the UK. Adele is signed to an indie label.

2, He's already done it. The bells, the bells - Sanctuary.

Its quite simple, Moz is a solid live performer, but shite at selling records (over the last 10 years or so).
Adele amongst others, can do both.
Any record company makes money from record sales, but if you want the record company to subsidise a tour, but not get the pay off afterwards from sales................his career is f***ed, unless he is willing to compromise in some way, which he wont, therefore we are f***ed.
This is the way of the world.

Can I just point a couple of things out to all you people who say Morrissey wants a Major & wouldn't sign to an indie:

1, Even Morrissey must be aware that the goalposts have moved. 21 by Adele is the biggest selling album of the 20th century & the 5th biggest selling album of all time in the UK. Adele is signed to an indie label.

2, He's already done it. The bells, the bells - Sanctuary.

A rebuttal:

1) I don't think being aware or not being aware of the leaps and bounds Indie labels have made has any bearing on it. It has to do with what, theoretically, a major label could offer him that an Indie label couldn't. Realistically, Indie success stories like Adele's are The Little Engine That Could rarities of the music business. An Indie label isn't backed by the cash or the promotional machine that a major label has at it's fingertips. The success of '21' was not only built on the backbone of a young, fresh-faced artist with some strong singles (none of which applies to Morrissey currently), but it also had the benefit of a different kind of promotion - social media...Morrissey has never fully taken advantage of an official website (that he's actually involved with) nonetheless used social media sites like Facebook or Twitter to their full potential.

Morrissey does not want to promote...he wants to be promoted. He wants buzz, airplay, physical CD and vinyl versions of albums and singles, and a fully funded tour all paid for with as little effort from him as possible.

2) Sanctuary is a different story. Consider it in context - Morrissey was 7 years without a record contract and 9 years removed from a successful album. Part of his deal with Sanctuary granted him the publishing rights of the songs recorded during his time with them and ownership of the Attack label to sign up his friends. As it is now, in the last decade, he's had the biggest selling albums and singles of his career. I believe he thinks after you've had an album as big as 'Quarry' with the singles from 'Quarry' and 'Tormentors' doing as well as they did, that anything other than a major label would be a downgrade.

Back
Top Bottom