Morrissey currently without management or record deal - statement at true-to-you.net

Announcement - true-to-you.net
4 March 2012

Music industry trade websites have recently listed Morrissey as being presently managed by either Irving Azoff or Ron Laffitte. This information is untrue. Morrissey does not have management, and does not have a recording deal. Any enquiries on both of these matters may be addressed to Donnie at [email protected]. No other source at this time represents Morrissey.

UPDATE Mar. 6, 7:50AM PT:

alabamy posted some additional info on "Donnie".

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Morrissey does want a record deal because he likes to get advances and he like to be able to charge things as expenses (recording costs/ video shoots/ travel/ hospitality) thereby ensuring the advances are never recouped. There is usually a clause in the contract that allows him to depart if the label decides not to release a subsequent album and as he is notoriously difficult to work with/ for that is often the case. I am certain that the advances Morrissey has received for his Quarry and after recordings were not recouped. He is a difficult act to sell these days.

2) The current world tour is being set up by Morrissey himself (in association with regional/national promoters). He can make good money from touring and he likes to do it.

3) He won't sidestep the traditional labels because of the above. He won't want to fund a record himself even though it would probably end up making him more money. In many ways he is stuck in the pop world he grew up with in the 1960s/70s/80s. Surely there can be no artist of his stature still so fixated on chart positions ie traditional Top 40 style charts, not even downloads.

4) The recent music is nothing more than adequate. There are a few high points and a few low, but mostly he's treading water. He's spoken about loving the "hard sound" of his current band and, often, the Smiths were actually a pretty heavy band but - crucially - there were dynamic ranges within the Smiths to Vauxhall era. Nowadays its all pretty much medium tempo. For whatever reason he doesn't want to experiment. Perhaps the most interesting recording of recent years, the full string Dear God... was junked in favour of a far blander version (see also some of the demos that are on youtube that have far more interesting arrangements than what was finally released).
5) all that said... who would want to manage him?
6) blah blah blah

Re: Article: Morrissey currently without management or record deal - statement at tru

1) Morrissey does want a record deal because he likes to get advances and he like to be able to charge things as expenses (recording costs/ video shoots/ travel/ hospitality) thereby ensuring the advances are never recouped. There is usually a clause in the contract that allows him to depart if the label decides not to release a subsequent album and as he is notoriously difficult to work with/ for that is often the case. I am certain that the advances Morrissey has received for his Quarry and after recordings were not recouped. He is a difficult act to sell these days.

You write as if this is not standard practise. Any expense relating to the manufacture of a product should be incurred by the employer. This isn't only the case in the music industry but in every industry. Are you suggesting Morrissey should pay the recording costs for an album that becomes the property of a record label?

Re: Article: Morrissey currently without management or record deal - statement at tru

Have a moment of clarity.....Ask yourself....."Do I really want to listen to a new release filled with Jesse Tobias songs?"

The obvious answer is a resounding NO.

Until Moz gets new writing partners and particularly, a new lead guitarist, he'll wallow in this aimless rut for a very long time.

While I have reservations about Morrissey's band, that's clearly not the problem when searching for a contract. He has never worked with a celebrated songwriter throughout his solo career and that hasn't stopped him from having numerous hit singles and albums.

Plus Scandinavia, Art Hounds and Action is my Middle Name all have plenty of merit imo.

Take Ringleaders and Refusal and nick the best tracks from both and you would just about scrape together a decent listen. Only Morrissey himself and the terminally deluded think either are a career highlight.

The reviewers had plenty of positive things to say about them.

2) The current world tour is being set up by Morrissey himself (in association with regional/national promoters). He can make good money from touring and he likes to do it.

3) He won't sidestep the traditional labels because of the above. He won't want to fund a record himself even though it would probably end up making him more money. In many ways he is stuck in the pop world he grew up with in the 1960s/70s/80s. Surely there can be no artist of his stature still so fixated on chart positions ie traditional Top 40 style charts, not even downloads.

4) The recent music is nothing more than adequate. There are a few high points and a few low, but mostly he's treading water. He's spoken about loving the "hard sound" of his current band and, often, the Smiths were actually a pretty heavy band but - crucially - there were dynamic ranges within the Smiths to Vauxhall era. Nowadays its all pretty much medium tempo. For whatever reason he doesn't want to experiment. Perhaps the most interesting recording of recent years, the full string Dear God... was junked in favour of a far blander version (see also some of the demos that are on youtube that have far more interesting arrangements than what was finally released).
5) all that said... who would want to manage him?
6) blah blah blah

You're far too sane to post here.

You are pathetic knave. You talk about albums in same way as you babble about potatos. Every era brings values per se. In that regard, of course Years Of Refusal is grand and titanic.
Now, go back to your Westlife mp3 collection.
You knave.

You should sign in properly so we can have a decent conversation. I don't think Babelfish Boy has been taken...

When John Lennon was told of told of the death of Elvis Presley he replied that Elvis died the day he went into the army. Morrissey died the day he started to write with one eye on people like you. He threw away his Englishness, the source of his insight and inspiration, in favour of doing something far more simple, impressing people who grew up listening to Der Scorpions und Miami "f***ing" Sound Machine.

Oh dear, replying to your own posts. Tut tut.

Auntiefatty, or P (P as plumule for brain) - to much gin again?

You should sign in properly so we can have a decent conversation. I don't think Babelfish Boy has been taken...

When John Lennon was told of told of the death of Elvis Presley he replied that Elvis died the day he went into the army. Morrissey died the day he started to write with one eye on people like you. He threw away his Englishness, the source of his insight and inspiration, in favour of doing something far more simple, impressing people who grew up listening to Der Scorpions und Miami "f***ing" Sound Machine.

My sign is "You are knave Johnny Barleycorn".

You are knave Johnny Barleycorn

Knave Johnny Barleycorn, same old suit since 1962?

Knave Johnny Barleycorn, same old suit since 1962?

You see, what's funny, is that you think you're being funny and offensive, and you're not.

You see, what's funny, is that you think you're being funny and offensive, and you're not.

What's funny is you think you're a normal, likeable guy, whereas you're obsessively stalking anonymous commenters on a Morrissey forum.

[This comment unlikely to receive moderator approval, if they've got that paranoid function turned on at the moment.]

My sign is "You are knave Johnny Barleycorn".

You are knave Johnny Barleycorn

It seems new Morrissey fans are no brighter than the average X Factor twat.

it's "a" knave, Borat, "a" knave.

Yakshemashl

Yet oddly enough, Elvis came out with some of his most fantastic stuff in the late '60's and into the 1970's.
I (and many others) respectfully disagree with John Lennon.

I think Lennon's quote was for effect and not made with substance.

Yet oddly enough, Elvis came out with some of his most fantastic stuff in the late '60's and into the 1970's.
I (and many others) respectfully disagree with John Lennon.

I think Lennon's quote was for effect and not made with substance.

But Johhnny B doesn't now that, he is Westlife fan.

I've just read some of the biggest load of shit ever on here, up here, somewhere and everywhere..........

Some of it, is written by the same twit that always posts on here.

Probably jobless, probably drumming and and so on and on and on and on. Oh, you all know the story by now because it is like a broken record.

Moz-Solo.Com should be shut down for constantly posting this crap. I'm all for free speech but what about pressing the DELETE button on these stupid thoughts or sending this guy to mars for a holiday ?

What I don't understand - and what i don't believe - is that a musician should be paid for work done. They should be paid a reasonable and fair payment. All I can see now is that many new artists are basically doing work for nothing, to get onto the ladder or while they are on the ladder, and when done with them, the record companies spit them out like Gareth Gates. What these artists have not realised is that these labels are out to make money from them. Millions of Pounds worth of money. Working 14 hour days, day after day, for nothing - a small percentage that's all - working there arse off for nothing soon begins to grate.

No one of any stature in the music industry would sign up to do such a stupid thing and then repeat it time and time and time again.

For the idiot who keeps making stupid comments about Manchester, everyone is always welcome except Margaret Thatcher x

Hang on to yourself, x

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom