What are the odds? Will Moz get a new record deal?

Re: The Record Deal

Bump

Better to revive this thread before it'll be archived.

The only way Morrissey will release another album is if he is willing to compromise.

The only way Morrissey will release another album is if he is willing to compromise.

As I posted in another thread about the Smashing Pumpkins , their official site is currently offering 11 free tracks to download ( and , no, they're not just studio floor scrapings ). Given that those tracks were so good as to entice me into purchasing their new album , I suspect you're right , !Viva!. I wish He would really break free from 1962 and look at the enormous variety of options , both musically and in terms of promotion, distribution , website offers , etc.

As I posted in another thread about the Smashing Pumpkins , their official site is currently offering 11 free tracks to download ( and , no, they're not just studio floor scrapings ). Given that those tracks were so good as to entice me into purchasing their new album , I suspect you're right , !Viva!. I wish He would really break free from 1962 and look at the enormous variety of options , both musically and in terms of promotion, distribution , website offers , etc.

Let's get statistical about this.

Over the span of 30 years:

* Every studio album he's ever released, Smiths and Solo, has been in the UK Top 10. His worst ranking is #8.
* He has five #1 albums, three of which are from his Solo career.
* He has 3 Platinum records, 19 Gold records, and 3 Silver records.
* He has 31 Top 20 singles in the UK, 21 of which are from his solo career and 10 of those are from the last 7 years alone.

He's had everything but a #1 single...which is what I'm sure he's after. However, chart positions shouldn't matter at this point in his career and they especially shouldn't supersede recording a new album. It shows you where his priorities are...and I don't think I'm totally alone in feeling that they are misplaced.

Quarry's massive success made him cocky and smug. He's now sure anything and everything he does is worthy of the top spot...going so far as to attach a death grip on some of his weakest material and push it as a single. It is no coincidence that the decline of his career coincides with the arrival of Jesse Tobias. That cockiness and smugness is now interfering with the progression of his career and clearly no major record label in their right mind are going to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars on him and on promoting him just to have 'People Are The Same Everywhere" as the album's lead single.

Morrissey needs to bite the bullet, forget about charting in the Top 10 and act like what he claims he is, an "artist", and sign to a smaller label that is willing to invest in him.

"Action is my middle name, I can't waste time anymore"
Clearly it isn't and clearly you can and are, Morrissey.

* Every studio album he's ever released, Smiths and Solo, has been in the UK Top 10. His worst ranking is #8.
* He has 31 Top 20 singles in the UK, 21 of which are from his solo career and 10 of those are from the last 7 years alone.

He's had everything but a #1 single...which is what I'm sure he's after. However, chart positions shouldn't matter at this point in his career and they especially shouldn't supersede recording a new album. It shows you where his priorities are...and I don't think I'm totally alone in feeling that they are misplaced.

Quarry's massive success made him cocky and smug. He's now sure anything and everything he does is worthy of the top spot...going so far as to attach a death grip on some of his weakest material and push it as a single. It is no coincidence that the decline of his career coincides with the arrival of Jesse Tobias. That cockiness and smugness is now interfering with the progression of his career and clearly no major record label in their right mind are going to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars on him and on promoting him just to have 'People Are The Same Everywhere" as the album's lead single.

Morrissey needs to bite the bullet, forget about charting in the Top 10 and act like what he claims he is, an "artist", and sign to a smaller label that is willing to invest in him.

I wouldn't necessarily go so far as to claim he was " cocky " &/or " smug" ( I don't know him quite that well ;) ) but , yes , as much as I enjoy his perversity , I'd love to see him bite the bullet and go the independent route. Internet theft (?) has snaffled every musician's livelihood ( which isn't , of course , to be condoned ) - however , that game-changing , inescapable, fact surely could prompt some reflection by Him ... ?

You sound like a ditched girlfriend

The truth is he has always been as you put it "cocky and smug" about the music he has produced - since The Smiths - haven't you watched the interviews? He has always felt "everything he does is worthy of the top spot" - have you only just noticed? Quite often over the years he's chosen to take "his weakest material and push it as a single", nothing new here.

"no major record label in their right mind are going to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars on him......" - really? You really think given his recent tours and world wide front page headlines that interest has waned?

"......and on promoting him just to have 'People Are The Same Everywhere" as the album's lead single."

Very similar things were said about The First of the Gang to Die when he was playing that live without a deal, don't you remember? The song was a big success, you are just that kind of negative fan now and have therefore become a bad judge. Listen again.

I do think a major record label is "going to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars on him" shortly because he remains, iconic, controversial and uncompromising just like always and major record companies still want to be associated with that, and he has been written off many times and has had many glourious defeats. He is also consistently a writer of very strong pop songs, that hasn't left him. You just stopped getting it.

The industry hasn't changed as much as you think, charts still matter, not every week in "artistic terms" but sometimes - there is still room for him.

By the way not all of the songs he played live during the other "wilderness years" made the YATQ album did they? I think given his recent "recording break" and stock piling and given what we have heard so far as well as the interest in the autobiography, and the tours, I think his next album will be a big hit with some strong singles. I suppose when it happens you will probably claim it all was your idea.

Lets see.

Last edited:

The truth is he has always been as you put it "cocky and smug" about the music he has produced - since The Smiths - haven't you watched the interviews? He has always felt "everything he does is worthy of the top spot" - have you only just noticed? Quite often over the years he's chosen to take "his weakest material and push it as a single", nothing new here.

"no major record label in their right mind are going to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars on him......" - really? You really think given his recent tours and world wide front page headlines that interest has waned?

"......and on promoting him just to have 'People Are The Same Everywhere" as the album's lead single."

Very similar things were said about The First of the Gang to Die when he was playing that live without a deal, don't you remember? The song was a big success, you are just that kind of negative fan now and have therefore become a bad judge. Listen again.

I do think a major record label is "going to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars on him" shortly because he remains, iconic, controversial and uncompromising just like always and major record companies still want to be associated with that, and he has been written off many times and has had many glourious defeats. He is also consistently a writer of very strong pop songs, that hasn't left him. You just stopped getting it.

The industry hasn't changed as much as you think, charts still matter, not every week in "artistic terms" but sometimes - there is still room for him.

By the way not all of the songs he played live during the other "wilderness years" made the YATQ album did they? I think given his recent "recording break" and stock piling and given what we have heard so far as well as the interest in the autobiography, and the tours, I think his next album will be a big hit with some strong singles. I suppose when it happens you will probably claim it all was your idea.

Lets see.

Yeah he's always been cocky and smug; the difference is that for the last four years he's had no great music to counterbalance his hyperbole, so all we can do now is call him out on the sub-par music he's been touting as "his best work" while we suffer through his embarrassing, rambling tirades and headline-hungry blurbs.

I'll take a smug and cocky genius over a polite, humble has-been any day. When he starts making great art again, he can say any stupid bullshit he pleases and I'll just look the other way.

Last edited:
I'll take a smug and cocky genius over a polite, humble has-been any day. When he starts making great art again, he can say any stupid bullshit he pleases and I'll just look the other way.

Like......like....

:D

Yeah he's always been cocky and smug; the difference is that for the last four years he's had no great music to counterbalance his hyperbole, so all we can do now is call him out on the sub-par music he's been touting as "his best work" while we suffer through his embarrassing, rambling tirades and headline-hungry blurbs.

Just because in your opinion, Morrissey's recent output isn't great, it doesn't mean that everybody feels that way. I know many who think that Morrissey's recent output, particularly Quarry and Refusal, are among his best works ever, so if many fans think this, doesn't Morrissey again have a right to be smug about it? Also, why are you embarrased by what the media says about Morrissey? You like him for his music, not because of the things he says, so that shouldn't even come into the equation.

Johnny's looking old these days

he could join the Dolls and fit right in with that look.

Johnny's looking old these days

he could join the Dolls and fit right in with that look.

Really? He still looks a damn sight younger than Morrissey from where I'm standing, even discounting the hair dye and the odd tanning.

Last edited:

Lets see.

I'd question your ears if you think his latest 'offerings' are good by his or any half decent artist's standards.

People flog Tobias on this site but if you really want to isolate the problem you need look no further than Morrissey's face after the end of the 'The Kid's a Looker' track on those Canada sessions. His face is beaming, my God he really does think this latest stuff is great.

Lyrically and musically it's bereft of originality. It's only when Morrissey decides to take his ears out of his arse that you are going to see the situation improve. If I was a record company exec and even if I loved Morrissey I would be hard pressed to offer him a deal if I thought that that was the benchmark of what to expect.

To use Morrissey's current touring success as some kind of yardstick as to potential future sales or relevance is misleading to say the least. You must accept now that Morrissey is somewhat of a nostalgia act. The strength of his back cataloge and iconic status as 'The Godfather of Indie' will mean he can successfully tour for probably as long as he wants.

However even at his commercial peak in the States when he was selling out the Hollywood Bowl quicker than the Beatles did not mean he acheived Beatles-like sales in the US of A.

Do we 'not get it' if we happen to believe that Morrissey is not the significant artist he once was? Or could it possibly be (shock, horror) that he is simply past his peak as a writer? You know it does happen and I can't actually think of a single artist (irrespective of discipline) who has managed to stay relevant or challenging for 25+ years. In fact I would say that Morrissey has done fantastically well to remain so for the length of time that he has.

I mean how many more or new ways can you think of to say 'nobody loves me?'

But for me yeah, the gig is up. Like watching a favourite boxer who knows what punch to throw but his body no longer responds Morrissey just got old. It happens to everyone and I don't hold it against him. And whilst it may seem unfair to hold his back catalog against him, I can't help but listen to most of the new material and just wish he'd stop. There actually comes a point where if he releases too much more shite it will actually start to tarnish his legacy.

Morrissey is a legend because of what he has done, not for what he is currently doing.

Yes I will definitely buy the autobiography when it comes out, and I would go and see him live if he was in the neighborhood and I would even buy a new album if he released one, but I no longer expect greatness, those days have long passed.

Really? He still looks a damn sight younger than Morrissey from where I'm standing, even discounting the hair dye and the odd tanning.

Morrissey is five years older than Johnny, which can account for about 20 years older at that age

plus, Morrissey is way more active in a traveler's sense than Johnny. He's going to show it

Morrissey is five years older than Johnny, which can account for about 20 years older at that age

plus, Morrissey is way more active in a traveler's sense than Johnny. He's going to show it

:lbf: what? The age gap is only 4 years and I'm pretty sure Johnny has travelled round the world a few times over in the last 30 years, touring with different bands, sessioning etc... but okay :thumb:

You're right, of course. Four years, five months and a few days older if you want to get technical. Silly me for rounding up numbers. I didn't think you'd raise an issue

and I'm pretty sure Morrissey has traveled WAY more in the last 25 years than Marr has.

Re: Why can't Morrissey get a record deal?

This issue has been done to death. Pick any combination of factors:

(a) his new material is, musically and lyrically, some of the weakest of his whole career
(b) his album sales have declined steeply since Quarry and this makes major labels reluctant to sign him
(c) he refuses point-blank to go down the "DIY" route and self-release, or sign with a smaller independent label. He wants an offer from a 'grownup' label.
(d) he's notoriously demanding when it comes to being in control of his releases, and ready to blame the record label the minute anything goes wrong.

(e) he had trouble with every mayor label during his contracts
(f) after the split of EMI there are only three mayors left: Warner, Universal, Sony. He already recorded for all of them.

Though i don't see this own Mozrecords record company or label, too, in the foreseeable future i think it will be difficult to find any label that will offer him physical single releases and all the extra details he used to do have. Single charts to not exist anymore (shout be renamed downloaded-random-album-track charts), so why spend money on real singles that have no impact?
The german musician Phillip Boa, also known for his pashionate single releases full of extra tracks, had to explain why (and even excuse for) his new single - at a new label - will only be released digitally: because it's just to expensive. In 2008 EMI payed $50 M per year to destroy unsold CD's...

Back
Top Bottom