"Viva Hate": Royally Absent in The Recent "Uncut: 500 Greatest Albums Of The 1980s'' (January 2024)

W

WiderThanAMile

List here : link

The four Smiths' studio albums + Hatful of Hollow + Rank are included in this new 500 Greatest Albums Of The 1980s list by , which was expected.
What wasn't is the omission of Viva Hate.

When you see that Lloyd Cole And The Commotions' "Rattlesnakes", including the single "Forest Fire" which chorus shamelessly uses the 'Tu tu tu tu..." of Lou's "Walk on the Wild Side" is at number 20, one can frown.
Especially, when such an average band/ singer / record is so high.
Lloyd Cole influenced no one and they spawned no music genre either. This list lost me when saw this one included !

Viva Hate should have been in the top 100 at least: this is Education in reverse !

I think Morrissey is well-represented through the Smiths. Viva Hate isn’t better than any of the Smiths albums.

I think Morrissey is well-represented through the Smiths. Viva Hate isn’t better than any of the Smiths albums.

Yeah, you’re right. I guess what you and Uncut are really saying is …

Morrissey is The Smiths.

His solo work is dead.

It won't stay dead.

But, it's currently dead.
The big question is how is this stalemate going to end? It seems less and less likely he's getting a new record deal (from outward appearances anyway) and he's unwavering on self-releasing. Fortunately, we have 40 years of Morrissey to go back and listen to.

List here : link

The four Smiths' studio albums + Hatful of Hollow + Rank are included in this new 500 Greatest Albums Of The 1980s list by , which was expected.
What wasn't is the omission of Viva Hate.
Thank you for the link to whole list . It's always nice to recall these albums

The big question is how is this stalemate going to end? It seems less and less likely he's getting a new record deal (from outward appearances anyway) and he's unwavering on self-releasing. Fortunately, we have 40 years of Morrissey to go back and listen to.

I meant all of his solo work is dead to the critics! Worst case scenario is he'll have to die for it to be "rediscovered".

There's no point him self-releasing - both albums have been stunk up. He could put it on SER's YouTube.

Viva Hate is his best work. In or out of the Smiths. Uncut can go to hell.

The news that Viva Hate was not included in this list of greats gives me mixed feelings. I like this album, and yet it could not dazzle the world – the wounds from the breakup of The Smiths were too fresh, and many were not ready for a new round in Morrissey’s work. His music of those years received recognition 10 years after its releases: music critics, it seems, needed to be “ripe” to review these treasures.

I was glad to see Happy Mondays 'Bummed' on this list – listening to this album recently, I was once again convinced that it is easy to listen to and gives a rebellious mood.

It’s not even Morrissey’s best Solo album so I don’t really get the controversy.

Having said that, I was interested—and slightly surprised—to read somewhere recently that it’s still his best-selling solo album. Perhaps that relates to the UK only?

It’s not even Morrissey’s best Solo album so I don’t really get the controversy.

Having said that, I was interested—and slightly surprised—to read somewhere recently that it’s still his best-selling solo album. Perhaps that relates to the UK only?
I am also surprised at this.

I thought Vauxhall and even Quarry would have sold more. I say "even" not as a slight against the quality of the album, but simply because buying albums was less of a thing with the general public in 2004 than it was in the 80s and 90s.

Back
Top Bottom