Uncut 500 Greatest Albums of the 80s (Jan’24)

The new Uncut ranks the 500 greatest albums of the 80s. All five Smiths albums make the top 100, with two of them making the top 10.
Typically, Morrissey is ignored…

Full top-10:
1. Kate Bush – Hounds Of Love – 1985
2. Talking Heads – Remain In Light – 1980
3. Joy Division – Closer – 1980
4. Kraftwerk – Computer World – 1980
5. De La Soul – 3 Feet High And Rising – 1989
6. Prince – Sign O’ The Times – 1987
7. The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead – 1986
8. My Bloody Valentine – Isn’t Anything – 1988
9. Talk Talk – Sprit Of Eden – 1988
10. The Smiths – Hatful Of Hollow – 1984

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Viva hate? Suedehead and Everyday... ok, but with songs like I dont mind..., little man what now, ordinary boys... No way.
Yes way!!
But all these lists mean nothing really, they are not important, but the deliberate slow erasing of someone who helped shape the musical landscape of the 80s and further, is sad.

Yes way!!
But all these lists mean nothing really, they are not important, but the deliberate slow erasing of someone who helped shape the musical landscape of the 80s and further, is sad.
But all of the Smiths albums are on the list, so that’s not true.

This would be my top 10:

1. The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
2. The Smiths - The Smiths
3. Pixies - Doolittle
4. The Smiths - Meat Is Murder
5. Morrissey - Viva Hate
6. Sonic Youth – Daydream Nation
7. Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
8. The Cramps - A Date With Elvis
9. The Jesus And Mary Chain – Psychocandy
10. The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God

The Hounds of Love would be in the teens, along with Strangeways, Hatful, and World Won't Listen.

So you only like the hits? All those songs are good to great.

"rejection is one thing but rejection from a fool is cruel"

They’re great album songs, and I always look at Viva Hate as one whole song, and find it criminal if it’s not listened to from start to finish in one sitting. It really is a classic, the original version of course.

It’s our Dark Side of the Moon, lol!

Last edited:
This would be my top 10:

1. The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
2. The Smiths - The Smiths
3. Pixies - Doolittle
4. The Smiths - Meat Is Murder
5. Morrissey - Viva Hate
6. Sonic Youth – Daydream Nation
7. Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
8. The Cramps - A Date With Elvis
9. The Jesus And Mary Chain – Psychocandy
10. The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God

The Hounds of Love would be in the teens, along with Strangeways, Hatful, and World Won't Listen.

Oh no, here we go …. :lbf:;)

Yes way!!
Two years ago Uncut existed 25 or so years and they had a special edition with a list of 300 greatest albums of Uncut’s lifetime. https://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/uncut_P3.htm#uncut300

Also then, no Morrissey. So yes, it definitely seems a deliberate attempt.

Viva hate? Suedehead and Everyday... ok, but with songs like I dont mind..., little man what now, ordinary boys... No way.
I love Little Man What Now. It's one of my favourite tracks on the album. There is something so dark and apocalyptic about how it sounds - set against the triviality of celebrity and fame. Amazing track.

Any list that doesn't include Garth Brooks' debut album is not worth bothering with. Just saying...

But all of the Smiths albums are on the list, so that’s not true.
Yes but they are Smiths albums, my point was Viva Hate in my view is as good as the Smiths albums and was in a way more high profile but theres no mention of it. And i think thats because the name on the front is Morrissey.
I guarantee if it said The Smiths on the cover, it would be on that list.
Also, if there was a best of 1994 list, surely, Vauxhall would have to be on there? If it wasnt i spose that would be the proof.

Last edited:
They’re great album songs, and I always look at Viva Hate as one whole song, and find it criminal if it’s not listened to from start to finish in one sitting. It really is a classic, the original version of course.

It’s our Dark Side of the Moon, lol!
Yes I agree! I just ordered the Viva Hate vinyl last night and I cannot wait for it to get here.

Yes I agree! I just ordered the Viva Hate vinyl last night and I cannot wait for it to get here.

There’s two versions. IMHO you should search out and get the original version.

‘A newly remastered, special edition of Viva Hate, supervised by Stephen Street, was released on 2 April 2012. This edition controversially omits, along with the name of Vini Reilly, one of the original album's tracks, "The Ordinary Boys", and includes the session outtake "Treat Me Like a Human Being". Also, the extended fadeout of "Late Night, Maudlin Street" has been changed. Stephen Street has said that he felt these changes were a mistake but that the track selection was changed at Morrissey's insistence.[3] "Hairdresser on Fire", again, is also not included on this edition. Additionally, the typeface font on the front cover had been changed.’

I love Little Man What Now. It's one of my favourite tracks on the album. There is something so dark and apocalyptic about how it sounds - set against the triviality of celebrity and fame. Amazing track.
Alsatian Cousin bleeding over into Little Man What Now is so so so so so so so satisfying.
Bengali in Platforms is my jam though.

‘I Don’t Mind If You Forget Me’ should be the title of the next Central post

If they really are trying to erase Morrissey (and some undoubtedly will try), a nice ‘f*** you, it won’t work’ would be better than any rant.

There’s two versions. IMHO you should search out and get the original version.

‘A newly remastered, special edition of Viva Hate, supervised by Stephen Street, was released on 2 April 2012. This edition controversially omits, along with the name of Vini Reilly, one of the original album's tracks, "The Ordinary Boys", and includes the session outtake "Treat Me Like a Human Being". Also, the extended fadeout of "Late Night, Maudlin Street" has been changed. Stephen Street has said that he felt these changes were a mistake but that the track selection was changed at Morrissey's insistence.[3] "Hairdresser on Fire", again, is also not included on this edition. Additionally, the typeface font on the front cover had been changed.’
Hairdresser on Fire is on Viva Hate? Omg I'm so khfihchicgkkdhkdkgxkhcgk
🥲

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom