The Sound of 'Bona Drag' {Redux}

The new mix of Let The Right One Slip In is properly rubbish & there's a very good reason why Happy Lovers United & Lifeguard On Duty were 'previously unreleased'... it's because they're crap.

Well Dog you and I seem to be the only two here that feel that way about those two new songs. Everyone here seems to love them wholeheartedly. Either Some Moz fans' standards are lowering at the same rate Morrissey's are or we just don't hear them as the gems they are. Lyrically, melodically and musically they are so below par I can't even force myself to like them and I wish I did. Btw this new "Oh Phoney" is nothing on the leaked one and I also prefer the leaked "...loneliness..."

Re: Bona Drag - The Revisionist edition

The song is fey, corny, and unimaginative. "Destructors of it" has to be the most awkward line in any Morrissey song, ever. I'll tell you what else the song lacks: "Ouija Board" is utterly sexless-- flaccid, you might say. Compare it to "Playboys" and "Monster", the singles before and after it, and the song seems like a bathetic clown's soufflé, a treacly, emotionally sterile discharge of insincerity and tepid whimsy.

Other than that, it rocked.

(I actually do like it. :rolleyes: )

Yes, its fey. That isn't really a criticism. The destructors line is brilliantly awkward and is genius. It's a playful and amusing song and gives a good balance to some of the other tracks.

Yes, its fey. That isn't really a criticism. The destructors line is brilliantly awkward and is genius. It's a playful and amusing song and gives a good balance to some of the other tracks.

I didn't listen to the new edit yet, but I do love ouija board, it's a so fascinating song, strange and evocative; it's pure melancholia, but also ironic (and the video...he's so tender!). But I can understand that many dislike it, because it' not a "perfect song", it's a little bit a mess, especially in the central part. I love it anyway...because I still do feel so hooorribly lonely.

Well Dog you and I seem to be the only two here that feel that way about those two new songs. Everyone here seems to love them wholeheartedly. Either Some Moz fans' standards are lowering at the same rate Morrissey's are or we just don't hear them as the gems they are. Lyrically, melodically and musically they are so below par I can't even force myself to like them and I wish I did.

Make that three... there was a good reason why they weren't originally released... cos they're crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gannon claimed he came up with the cord structure (G, A minor, C and D) of 'Ask' while he and The Smiths were in the Livingston studio in June 1986. I think Johnny said "Ah, no."

Well, I think Gannon is better than Boz and they never gave Gannon much of a chance, many people would disagree with me but I think Gannon has more style and more skills from Mr Marr to match up to Morrissey's distinctive voice, no other guitarest apart from Gannon and Marr has in my opinion...:guitar:

Well, I think Gannon is better than Boz and they never gave Gannon much of a chance, many people would disagree with me but I think Gannon has more style and more skills from Mr Marr to match up to Morrissey's distinctive voice, no other guitarest apart from Gannon and Marr has in my opinion...:guitar:

But Gannon isn't a composer though where Boz and Marr are so I agree with you that he has a great sound and style but if it were left up to him to write songs for Morrissey none of us have any idea what he'd come up with.

I'm probably alone on this one but my favorite composer/guitarist on Bona Drag is Kevin Armstrong. His playing on the Ouija Board, Piccadilly Palare and November singles and B sides is gorgeous! And I don't use that word very often.... ok well I have used it at least 3 times today but anyway he was amazing. And he also wrote Palare and my favorite Moz song of all time "He knows I'd love to see him" I wished we heard more from Kevin Armstrong. None of us even know what he looked like :)

If only Morrissey had kept everyone from Bona Drag, his solo career might have been slightly better...I doubt anyone would want to part from "First Of The Gang To Die" though (yawn)

Make that three... there was a good reason why they weren't originally released... cos they're crap.

Sorry Bluebird, 3 :)

I've seen some posts on the main page where people are saying they are the 2 best songs he has ever done! Sad.

If only Morrissey had kept everyone from Bona Drag, his solo career might have been slightly better...I doubt anyone would want to part from "First Of The Gang To Die" though (yawn)

First of Gang may be a bit "yawn" now after being overplayed for the last 9 years, but can you really say when it first surfaced in 2002, and was released in 2004, that it wasn't an amazing and exciting song from a man many had counted out?

Last edited:

Ouija Board is one song I wouldn't want to see given the rawk treatment (the caveman version of This Charming Man was fun to hear once or twice, but...shudder). I like the slightly tawdry, dime store spirituality of Ouija Board. If Morrissey was singing his life in the 60s instead of the 80s it'd be something like this.

The destructors line is awkward on paper but his vocal melody makes it work beautifully.

Love the sound of Bona Drag. I cannot wait for Kill Uncle, the most underrated Moz album i.m.h.o. Vauxhall and I, is my favorite and the best.

Funny how are not many fans of Ouija Board. In Goddard's new book, he claims that Johnny Marr once said that he told Langer that he was a fan of Ouija Board.

I'm surprised at the criticism of the 2 new songs. I think that structurally, lyrically, and musically they are a fine example of what Morrissey does best. He sings as though in conversation and the simplicity of the lines convey the complexities of life in a way that flows effortlessly. If I were to play Moz to a first time listener I think these 2 songs would be ideal. Just listen to the phrasing. Dylan eat your heart out.

I like the slightly tawdry, dime store spirituality of Ouija Board. If Morrissey was singing his life in the 60s instead of the 80s it'd be something like this.

It has a touch of the Joe Meek's about it.

this 'new' Oh Phoney is nothing on the leaked one
I second that. When I first heard it it was one of my favourite of the 'new' tracks I heard last year.
The 'new' version is pretty, but a bit too delicate. I miss the bouncy, stomping feel of the leaked version.

I could actually live without "First of the gang", but not without "V & I" and "Your Arsenal", so...I don't know if he should have kept everyone from Bona Drag. BD is full of jewels anyway, "Yes I am blind" for example, wonderful song!

I second that. When I first heard it it was one of my favourite of the 'new' tracks I heard last year.
The 'new' version is pretty, but a bit too delicate. I miss the bouncy, stomping feel of the leaked version.

I would third it but I won't as I like them both as much as each other
The more I listen to the Bona version the more I like it. The most interesting thing about that song (for me at least) was the vocal. So its nice to hear it in such lovely quality

Love the sound of Bona Drag. I cannot wait for Kill Uncle, the most underrated Moz album i.m.h.o. Vauxhall and I, is my favorite and the best.

Funny how are not many fans of Ouija Board. In Goddard's new book, he claims that Johnny Marr once said that he told Langer that he was a fan of Ouija Board.

He also, sent morrissey a post card saying he liked Last of the famous. Morrissey is yet to praise one post Smiths marr song

Tags
board bona drag ouija remaster
Back
Top Bottom