The Sound of 'Bona Drag' {Redux}

Marr and Morrissey still have a keen friendship, but The Smiths never ever comes up in conversation.

You can bet that a few post-Smiths recordings exist in some studio vault, even if they're just demos or a few half-drunk covers.

Marr and Morrissey still have a keen friendship, but The Smiths never ever comes up in conversation.

You can bet that a few post-Smiths recordings exist in some studio vault, even if they're just demos or a few half-drunk covers.

I expect there may be a few but I don't think there are many, if indeed any.

Joe, I really learned a lot from your review. You should do this all the time.

Joe, I really learned a lot from your review. You should do this all the time.

Thank You Dave, much appreciated.
I would do it all the time. Unfortunately, life get's in the way ;)

First of Gang may be a bit "yawn" now after being overplayed for the last 9 years, but can you really say when it first surfaced in 2002, and was released in 2004, that it wasn't an amazing and exciting song from a man many had counted out?

No, "The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores" beats it in my opinion...I hope Morrissey stops playing "First Of The Gang To Die", at his gigs along with "How Soon Is Now" and changes "This Charming Man" back to its former self. I was happy he brought back "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" last year though!

Heard it last night & think the sound is great -- more clean & distinct and not just louder.

But like many I am shocked by the edit to Ouija Board!! It is one of my absolute favorites, and the spell-out is critical to what makes it so amazing. First off, spelling-out is what a ouija board is all about, but more than that the song is exemplar of what he does best: give voice to many of life's tortures with (at times) great humor. The song is (to me) a farce of anquishing lonliness and disconnection, and the pay-off which makes it a suffering-laugh-of-ceaseless-cruelty is that the one entity in the universe he thinks he can turn to for love or advice has no time for him. That is now lost. And best of all, he dosen't just hand you the 'punch-line,' you have to work for the pay off; actually listen, picture the letters in your head, etc....

It's the kind of mistake any artist can make -- if you look at a piece too long, you can convince yourself that the best bit is the worst. You'd think he would have more respect for the writer's impulse of the moment, but maybe that the song didn't do well has been a long-held disappointment.... He's carved this beauty up!!

Re: Got my copy of Bona Drag today

I am so glad I got this album.

"Oh Phoney" is now my favourite song ever beating "Innuendo" by Queen.

I don't know what draws me to it but I love it.

No, "The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores" beats it in my opinion...I hope Morrissey stops playing "First Of The Gang To Die", at his gigs along with "How Soon Is Now" and changes "This Charming Man" back to its former self. I was happy he brought back "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" last year though!

Agree with you on most points, however I would be quite pleased to never hear "The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores" again.

It was before re-issue in 1997.
Someone actually posted a scan of VH deluxe edition artwork in collectors corner few years ago.

Do you actually read posts before you respond or do you have an 'auto-guess' feature like Google?

Re-issue for the THIRD TIME was what my post said. I meant second time of course although with Morrissey fans the way they are, I consider imports of the US version (extra track and all) to be a back door re-issue.

Tags
board bona drag ouija remaster
Back
Top Bottom