The Forever 80s Podcast: "Exploring Morrissey's enduring appeal" - interview with Morrissey-solo creator davidt (August 15, 2023)

I enjoyed speaking with Liz Worth on her new "The Forever 80s Podcast" recently. Check it out on Spotify and other podcast channels:

full

Last edited:
Very interesting. We are so fortunate that you and Famous when dead are still so dedicated to Morrissey fandom. Did you ever find out what happened with the bodyguard's lawsuit e.g. if he was paid off, and were you required to give evidence at all?

Very interesting. We are so fortunate that you and Famous when dead are still so dedicated to Morrissey fandom. Did you ever find out what happened with the bodyguard's lawsuit e.g. if he was paid off, and were you required to give evidence at all?
Good question.

Last I heard (all this is around 10 years ago now) it was settled out of court and there weren't many details after that.

Last I heard (all this is around 10 years ago now) it was settled out of court and there weren't many details after that.
That’s what he wants you to believe.
You think it’s all blown over, drop your guard… next thing you know, you’re cut up into 15 pieces and Damon is bringing your remains to the local dump in one of those big suitcases Morrissey makes him carry around.

Sam has just gone green with envy. Spontaneous combustion imminent.

Interesting interview to listen to. MozSolo is undoubtedly the best dedicated fansite on the internet - I don't know of any other band or artist for whom there is anything like a similar forum and opportunity for free expression, from sublime musings to ridiculous drivel, and everything in between.
There is perhaps some irony in the fact that Moz effectively 'cancelled' David from attending any of his live shows. I wonder would Moz still think that free expression on the site should be censored, given what has happened to him in recent years? And I wonder, now that things have gone more quiet, as suggested in the interview, has David maybe tried sneaking in to a concert of late? I definitely would try if I were him. But probably the less said about that the better.
Kudos to David for creating the site, but also for still staying with Morrissey over the years - given how he was treated, many would have given up and said, I want Diana Ross instead.

I usually come to solo just for the the latest Marr news.

:thumb:

Interesting interview to listen to. MozSolo is undoubtedly the best dedicated fansite on the internet - I don't know of any other band or artist for whom there is anything like a similar forum and opportunity for free expression, from sublime musings to ridiculous drivel, and everything in between.
There is perhaps some irony in the fact that Moz effectively 'cancelled' David from attending any of his live shows. I wonder would Moz still think that free expression on the site should be censored, given what has happened to him in recent years? And I wonder, now that things have gone more quiet, as suggested in the interview, has David maybe tried sneaking in to a concert of late? I definitely would try if I were him. But probably the less said about that the better.
Kudos to David for creating the site, but also for still staying with Morrissey over the years - given how he was treated, many would have given up and said, I want Diana Ross instead.
IMG_9145.jpeg

I'd be surprised if Moz cares about the Solo shenanigans any more. All water under the (iron) bridge. Let's be honest - a bit of free flowing bile posted on this website is the least of his worries these days.

Interesting, I particularly enjoyed the story of how David has come to value the site itself as a creative project. It recovers something, from Morrissey’s hostility, which might’ve been lost had team Morrissey not been such dipsticks at those two concerts.

This was a lovely conversation, at least for the first 30 minutes. Keeping a busy website like Morrissey-solo going for 26 years takes commitment, and can be judged solely on those terms per se, regardless of the subject, as David pointed out. Given that though, I thought it was a pity the interviewer did not follow up, as one might expect, with questions about statistics on traffic, or numbers of visitors to the site, and on money made secondarily through advertisements based on the popularity of the site, or subject, as seen at https://hypestat.com/info/morrissey-solo.com or https://www.similarweb.com/website/morrissey-solo.com/#overview .

With the figures being so significant, it could have formed an extra segment of real interest, especially for business and marketing people.

Moving on to issues raised in the 2nd half, discussions on some of these are available on the website e.g. on the bodyguard lawsuit. - https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...wanted-me-to-f-up-fan-club-honcho-tmz.132047/

A comment is found there by Will Never Marry on May 28, 2015: #8 “I'm a California attorney, "with prejudice" means that the case is resolved and the plaintiff cannot file another suit based upon the same or similar facts. It would only be dismissed "with prejudice" if there was a settlement. Otherwise, the plaintiff would dismiss it "without prejudice" (i.e. he can file again within the statute of limitations). Who knows how much the settlement was for or who paid it. Moz could have had an insurance company who decided to settle it to avoid legal costs or if they believed there was some exposure to liability. But we are likely to hear nothing about the result absent a leak because there will be a confidentiality clause. Final note, a settlement does not necessarily mean that the plaintiff had anything real to complain about. Companies and individuals settle all of the time, because of the cost to fight and whether the evidence seems to support the plaintiff's complaint (even though the "real" facts do not).”

Others then noted the inexplicable delay before the complaint was made. Morrissey morphing into a mafia don does seem rather incongruous, after Meat is Murder and everything.

On the question of individuals being allowed at shows, or otherwise, it is not that unusual for artists to ban those with certain attributes. Guns n’ Roses banned a fan for life for leaking songs - https://completemusicupdate.com/art...fe-from-live-shows-over-leaked-music-dispute/

In 2021, Adele banned unvaccinated fans at her Vegas shows - https://www.entertainmentdaily.co.u...ban-on-unvaccinated-fans-for-las-vegas-shows/

A range of artists do/did not allow people to bring phones to their shows - https://www.ranker.com/list/bands-who-ban-phones-at-shows/matt-manser

And people who run fan-sites pose unique enough risks that they tend to be banned more often than the run -of-the-mill punters - https://www.reddit.com/r/kpophelp/comments/i9qje8/why_do_some_shows_concerts_awards_ban_fansites/

So it seems that it is the artists’ prerogative to decide who they want to attend or not attend their shows. Just as people working in the website management sector can decide on rules for their operations, including rules to ban people e.g. https://www.morrissey-solo.com/general-posting-policy/

Community forums can differ from traditional fan magazines and music press in editorial responsibility, by accident or design, and some posters, such as James Cagney, do, like Morrissey, “call it So Low too, because every thread is hijacked by someone who is truly So Low. The mods are crazy and go by their own arbitrary rules, merging and moving threads, deleting some users while tolerating others, etc.”

It probably just comes down to the fact that people have different standards. Sinéad's case brought this to the fore more recently too. So thanks, David :guitar:

Can't speak to his previous lawsuit, but he appeared to be having a bad time in 2020.

Veteran Anti-Apartheid Activist Shot in Scrotum by Rubber Bullets Sues LAPD

"For now the Los Angeles dad is mostly limited to walking back and forth between his freezer to fill his ice pack and his couch, nursing serious injuries from rubber bullets deployed by the LAPD at the George Floyd protest that turned violent in L.A.’s Fairfax district on May 30."

Black Lives Matter activist 'lost a testicle after being shot in the groin with a rubber bullet fired by LAPD officers during protests in Los Angeles'

FWD.

Thanks for this David. It was an enjoyable listen. I haven't posted here in a very long time, but I met you briefly a long time ago at the home of a (then) mutual friend, Keith Vanetta (RIP). A group of you were following a large number of his tour dates at the time and I was sitting on Keith's bedroom floor when you came through his hometown. Memories...

The whole story of the band wearing 'f*** MozSolo' t-shirts and the 'banning' of David T from live shows, plus recent use on Moz Central of photos from concerts first posted on this website - does all suggest that someone in Team Moz visits this site, whether that be the man himself, or SER, or someone else on the payroll. Let's be honest, if you were in Moz's shoes, you just would, wouldn't you? At least from time to time.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom