The Canada boycott is unreasonable!

J

Jasmine

I'm not Canadian but... I don't see what good boycotting the Canadian tour would do. I know Morrissey said that just by him not touring there wasn't gonna make the government get down on their knees, but I don't see why the fans should be punished when the chances are none of them are involved in the seal slaying, and when they probably more than likely agree with Morrissey. What he would be better doing would be to play the concerts, speak out to the audience/press, and try to get support that way. It's gonna happen anyway regardless. By not playing the concerts it's not the government he's punishing, it's the poor Canadian fans. I really feel for you, guys

I've boycotted Canada for years.

> I'm not Canadian but... I don't see what good boycotting the Canadian tour
> would do. I know Morrissey said that just by him not touring there wasn't
> gonna make the government get down on their knees, but I don't see why the
> fans should be punished when the chances are none of them are involved in
> the seal slaying, and when they probably more than likely agree with
> Morrissey. What he would be better doing would be to play the concerts,
> speak out to the audience/press, and try to get support that way. It's
> gonna happen anyway regardless. By not playing the concerts it's not the
> government he's punishing, it's the poor Canadian fans. I really feel for
> you, guys

> I'm not Canadian but... I don't see what good boycotting the Canadian tour
> would do. I know Morrissey said that just by him not touring there wasn't
> gonna make the government get down on their knees, but I don't see why the
> fans should be punished when the chances are none of them are involved in
> the seal slaying, and when they probably more than likely agree with
> Morrissey. What he would be better doing would be to play the concerts,
> speak out to the audience/press, and try to get support that way. It's
> gonna happen anyway regardless. By not playing the concerts it's not the
> government he's punishing, it's the poor Canadian fans. I really feel for
> you, guys

I agree with his statement in general terms. BUT ARE YOU f***ING KIDDING ME!!! Why not boycott the USA who has launched an unprovoked war in Iraq for christ's sake. He has literally gone mad. Punish Canadian fans? What the f*** for? For something the government is doing that is barbaric. Then cancell all the UK dates cause last i checked they were in on the Iraq debacle as well.
This is likely some bullshit opportunity for him to make a cause out of what would have been NO canadian dates for some admin/buracratic reason. But to boycott touring there for the sake of this cause is a thin reason considering he has no qualms taking all of the US money as well as the abroad.
what the f*** is morrissey talking about?

I agree, though Morrissey is playing a Spanish festival - bull fighting anyone?

and of course, the upper class rascals in the UK continue to chase foxes around the manor despite it being illegal.
The UK wants to cull badgers, The Aussies cull kangaroos etc etc
I am totally against the seal bashing in Canada, I am not supporting that at all, just think it a bit daft (though commendable jesture) to boycott Canadian Morrissey fans.

The Goat

I totally agree...

It's all really, really... hypocritical. I'm afraid the Moz has lost it

> I agree with his statement in general terms. BUT ARE YOU f***ING KIDDING
> ME!!! Why not boycott the USA who has launched an unprovoked war in Iraq
> for christ's sake. He has literally gone mad. Punish Canadian fans? What
> the f*** for? For something the government is doing that is barbaric. Then
> cancell all the UK dates cause last i checked they were in on the Iraq
> debacle as well.
> This is likely some bullshit opportunity for him to make a cause out of
> what would have been NO canadian dates for some admin/buracratic reason.
> But to boycott touring there for the sake of this cause is a thin reason
> considering he has no qualms taking all of the US money as well as the
> abroad.
> what the f*** is morrissey talking about?

Hunting foxes is a way of life, and our right

We are not allowed to kill foxes anymore. We still hunt, but it is not blood sports anymore.

At his last Toronto show, he called the audience, "spineless" for not being proactive re:protesting against the killings of these seals...Its truly devastating...I hate to be associated as a Canadian with this vicious act!

Morrissey should boycott the States then too...for keeping their troops in Iraq..or how about parts of Asia where child prostitution is still in existence....

I think his opinions are fair but by not allowing his fans to see him for this reason is abit egotisitical...We have had had protests for the past couple of weeks in Canada about this issue...protests that have lead to violence....The government should do something about it! Punishing your fans isnt going to help!

Re: I agree, though Morrissey is playing a Spanish festival - bull fighting anyone?

anything that pisses off boredatunemployment is good by me

Oh my... Did he really just say gas-chambers?

I totally agree with you Jasmine. If he starts boycotting every country that is barbaric in any way he can start a new colony on mars... of course that's sad but let's face it: humans are barbaric in toto. I always liked the fact that Morrissey stood up and said pretty controversial things, I even understood that he cancelled a concert in Germany just because the place was called "Slaughterhouse" but the thing is that now he is making a fool of himself. It's ridiculous. We all know that he wouldn't have played Canada anyways and now he is simply making up a reason for not doing it.
And besides that: the comparison to gas-chambers is beyond tasteless... it's basically the most disgusting thing I heard in years. I hope the german press here will not pick that up 'cause if they do nobody will talk about his music anymore... I meann, I know what he wanted to say with that but still.

this is the stupidest thing i have ever seen. and hello dumb ass you are punishing all canadians for something most of us hadn;t heard of until this whole scandal errupted. and very smart calling canada one of the cruelest nations... really now, canadians are some bad people. with their red cross that goes out to every country in need, and how many refugees are welcomed to the country or the whole free health care issue. if you want to call for a boycott inform yourself.
like me i had no clue who morrissey was till i heard his stupid comment. so i informed myself, looked it up on the internet and here i am. i used to not buy your music cuz i had never heard of him. and now i'm officially boycotting it

Morrissey is an ignorant dickhead! Oh my God! the Canadians are killing the seals! Woah! They are about 1.5 millions seals over the territory and they eating all the fishes! The seals are not is danger! So what? It's not a massacre like he's claiming, not as much as the population of Irak who's getting killed by US Army or Brittish Soldiers. THIS IS ATROCITY! It's not because the goverment approves the seal hunting that means that every canadian are a criminal. So, Common Morissey, If you dont nothing intelligent to say because your music suck's SHUT the F*CK oFF!

You've missed the point over the years that Morrissey champions the rights of animals more than people?

Re: Oh my... Did he really just say gas-chambers?

> I totally agree with you Jasmine. If he starts boycotting every country
> that is barbaric in any way he can start a new colony on mars... of course
> that's sad but let's face it: humans are barbaric in toto. I always liked
> the fact that Morrissey stood up and said pretty controversial things, I
> even understood that he cancelled a concert in Germany just because the
> place was called "Slaughterhouse" but the thing is that now he
> is making a fool of himself. It's ridiculous. We all know that he wouldn't
> have played Canada anyways and now he is simply making up a reason for not
> doing it.
> And besides that: the comparison to gas-chambers is beyond tasteless...
> it's basically the most disgusting thing I heard in years. I hope the
> german press here will not pick that up 'cause if they do nobody will talk
> about his music anymore... I meann, I know what he wanted to say with that
> but still.

yes! that was my point. He is such an asshole for taking a situation that already existed: whereas he was not going to tour Canada and then deciding to use this as an opportunity to voice a message--legitimate one we all agree--but then to conclude the absense of a tour is a boycott? It is so obvious, hi hypocracy that it has me absoloutely disturbed. I love the man. Have stood by him through thick and thin but this is the lowest offering as of yet.
He parodys Bush and Blair quite nicely. Right? They said it was WMD's and Terror but the real reason was Oil.
Morrissey: not going to tour Canada for whatever reason. Thus, he decides to concockt this horrific reasoning that defies the logic of Canadian fans, and basicly smashes their teeth in for supporting him.
If his reasoning was legitimate then why NOT tour Canada? He could use his statge to lament about how brutal the Canadian govt is. He could have granted countless interviews and lambasted the Canadian govt on their turff. Just as he did here in the US about the war etc.
I expect he will protest the G-8 Countries and all of the rest right? This is coming from mr. Italy now. The capital of f***ing meat and fur.
what the hell is wrong with my life-long idol? IF he apologized to the arctic monkeys then he should fly to Canda and kiss the asses of every Canadian that has supported his assinine lifestyle of luxury through record sales.
He likely forgot Canada because they are so civilized they outlawed the sale of $40.00 t-shirts.

also, he is playing wales!

look what they did!

> You've missed the point over the years that Morrissey champions the rights
> of animals more than people?

I think nobody was able to miss that but this time it's so right in my face that it makes me sick. I'm pissed although I'm European and not his "main target"...but if I had the pleasure of being a Canadian I'd probably explode.
Don't get me wrong: I love Morrissey but he really needs to change something about his "I'm divine, take a seat and listen to what I have to tell you" attitude. We're not dumb, we do not need him to tell us that killing seals is NOT RIGHT. I personally would never do so and nor would the majority of his Canadian fan-base (approx. 99,9% or more), so why the hell punish those lovely people? So that somebody listens to what he has to say? If he made that statement except for the part that he will not tour the country it would have had the same impact.
I said it before and again: he is acting like somebody who burns a book and then says "Well, I never wanted to read that shit anyways". Childish.

> also, he is playing wales!

> look what they did!

"They"... always wondered who "they" are. I guess you are making a Morrissey right now ("to make a Morrissey - acting without any sense of fair judgement, doing something without the chance of achieving understanding by the affected people"). No, just kidding

> I think nobody was able to miss that but this time it's so right in my
> face that it makes me sick. I'm pissed although I'm European and not his
> "main target"...but if I had the pleasure of being a Canadian
> I'd probably explode.
> Don't get me wrong: I love Morrissey but he really needs to change
> something about his "I'm divine, take a seat and listen to what I
> have to tell you" attitude. We're not dumb, we do not need him to
> tell us that killing seals is NOT RIGHT. I personally would never do so
> and nor would the majority of his Canadian fan-base (approx. 99,9% or
> more), so why the hell punish those lovely people? So that somebody
> listens to what he has to say? If he made that statement except for the
> part that he will not tour the country it would have had the same impact.
> I said it before and again: he is acting like somebody who burns a book
> and then says "Well, I never wanted to read that shit anyways".
> Childish.

I'm just astounded that all the fans (or I guess ex-fans) are not doing something about it and taking a stance towards the people behind the killing instead of bashing Moz over his beliefs. This isn't the first time he has done something like this. It's just on a larger scale this time. Didn't he cancel a show a few years back when he found out the venue used to have something to do with the slaughter of animals? I forget the details.

If people don't want to listen to what he has to say, I'd suggest they don't buy the records. I'm not singling you out. To me it is obvious that he needs to tell some people that it's not right to club seals because it is still happening. I applaud him for having the integrity to stand up for it. If he so chose to not tour the US due to the cruelty of the cattle industry, I'd be sad to not see his shows here but I'd support him just the same to sticking to his beliefs. I'd surely be more upset with the cattle industry than I would Morrissey.

Burn you albums Canadians, to hell with him.

Support people who care about us...

ALSO - do NOT under any any any circumstances buy his albums, download it download it and send to your friends...do not line this hypocrites pockets!

I saw his mansion in Hollywood...he is not the rebel he wants to you think he is - he is a rich, money grubbing bastard

> I'm just astounded that all the fans (or I guess ex-fans) are not doing
> something about it and taking a stance towards the people behind the
> killing instead of bashing Moz over his beliefs. This isn't the first time
> he has done something like this. It's just on a larger scale this time.
> Didn't he cancel a show a few years back when he found out the venue used
> to have something to do with the slaughter of animals? I forget the
> details.

> If people don't want to listen to what he has to say, I'd suggest they
> don't buy the records. I'm not singling you out. To me it is obvious that
> he needs to tell some people that it's not right to club seals because it
> is still happening. I applaud him for having the integrity to stand up for
> it. If he so chose to not tour the US due to the cruelty of the cattle
> industry, I'd be sad to not see his shows here but I'd support him just
> the same to sticking to his beliefs. I'd surely be more upset with the
> cattle industry than I would Morrissey.

I think you are missing the point that most are making here. That NO country that Morrissey tours is free of guilt or sin against people and especially animals alike. His most powerful weapon is to appear the to be vocal upon his arrival. He is capable of staging a press conference in Canada and declare them awful and barbaric and as such state that the arena that night will be packed with those who despise the killing of animals like seals. OR better yet why doesn't he just donate the proceeds of his Canadian tour to groups in Canada the oppose the practice? I can think of 100 effective political tactics he could have deployed. To cancel a tour of Canada on those grounds is similar to leaving a country because you oppose the government: it does nothing to change the situation. Morrissey has left the action to Canadians. He tells them to do something about it. ITs like Bono telling Africa to get off their asses and cancel their own debt. You see, he is failing to use his privledge to make and impact. He forgets the average Canadian commands much less attention from the media compared to him when he wants to make a statement. RIght? Morrissey is politically vocal but he is all trousers when it comes down to actually doing something. I am calling him on this. Its bullshit.

Back
Top Bottom