Mozza's Canada boycott

P

Pooley

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/entertainment/music/indieandrock/s/209/209291_morrissey_goes_to_war_with_canada.html

I think it's lazy the way these papers just reprint Julia, they cite NME, also. this is third-hand.

>
> http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/entertainment/music/indieandrock/s/209/209291_morrissey_goes_to_war_with_canada.html

>
> http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/entertainment/music/indieandrock/s/209/209291_morrissey_goes_to_war_with_canada.html

Aw, they left out my favorite part: "As things stand, Canada has placed itself alongside China as the cruelest and most self-serving nation."

Notice how Morrissey always jumps on a PETA boycott when he's about to release a new CD? Last album it was the boycott of Iams pet foods.

> Aw, they left out my favorite part: "As things stand, Canada has
> placed itself alongside China as the cruelest and most self-serving
> nation."

> Notice how Morrissey always jumps on a PETA boycott when he's about to
> release a new CD? Last album it was the boycott of Iams pet foods.

Come on, though. You don't really think he does this to sell albums? Maybe I misunderstood your meaning, but I'm sure if he wanted to sell records by attaching himself to a cause he could find one that would be more profitable. You might disagree with his beliefs but you don't doubt his sincerity, do you?

As far as the China/Canada thing, those aren't two nations that I would quickly group together, but I guess it depends on one's perspective. After all, he says he wants to nuke China, a billion or so people, because of their cruelty. The animal industry in China is incredibly barbaric, though. Films I have seen, not on PETA sites but on shows like 20/20, good watered-down news shows, are enough to make me sick.

> Come on, though. You don't really think he does this to sell albums? Maybe
> I misunderstood your meaning, but I'm sure if he wanted to sell records by
> attaching himself to a cause he could find one that would be more
> profitable. You might disagree with his beliefs but you don't doubt his
> sincerity, do you?

I don't doubt he sincerely cares about his animal rights issues.

I dunno...I guess you could say that the best tiume for him to raise an issue is while he's releasing an album and heading out on tour. But it also it helps him get more attention, which can help sales. In his favor, he's been on these causes for a lifetime.

> As far as the China/Canada thing, those aren't two nations that I would
> quickly group together, but I guess it depends on one's perspective. After
> all, he says he wants to nuke China, a billion or so people, because of
> their cruelty. The animal industry in China is incredibly barbaric,
> though. Films I have seen, not on PETA sites but on shows like 20/20, good
> watered-down news shows, are enough to make me sick.

Did he really say he wants to nuke China? Haha, I thought that was made up in the forum! I'll have to look for that......

As far as the over-the-top statements about Canada (I shouldn't feel inclined to stick up for them since Canadians do stab America in the back a lot, but...)......

I realize Moz is part of PETA and PETA likes to do whatever outrageous thing takes to get in the news. And the seal issue probably should be singled out because there's a good chance Canada CAN be pressured to changing on that (a lot more chance than getting people to stop eating cows any time soon). And, judging by the way Canada went crazy over Conan O'Brien when he sent Triumph the insult puppet dog to make fun of Canadians, I wouldn't be surprised if this gets play in the Canadian media.

However, it's as if Morrissey is unconcerned about whether people think he's off his rocker. It's as if he's admitting, "Yes, I'm just a clown in the music world, not truly intending to be taken too seriously."

To say Canada joins China as the most cruel and self-serving country on earth and should be compared to Nazis running gas chambers is giving people something to point at, ridicule, and dismiss. While PETA has gained a lot of attention from being outrageous, Morrissey's statement about the seals would have been better if he had thought about how people who don't already agree with him will read it. That's if he's totally sincere that it's only about helping the seals and not serving his own interests as a pop singer desperately trying to be controversial when his album's being released.

If the seal issue is so serious, why not write a statement that reflects that and will be taken more seriously? Why not say something more resembling of reality: Canada is one of the nicer countries in the world and this is a black stain on their reputation that they should be embarrassed about. And then convey the cruelty without trotting out the Nazi comparison.

Look at how seriously people take Bono. Sure, Bono has the luxury of being a lot more famous so he gets attention without having to say outrageous things. But Bono is worth listening to no matter what your political persuasion because he takes his issues seriously enough to not sound like a foolish jack-off.

Back
Top Bottom