Tell us about the last film you watched, pt 2

• Thread starter Deleted member 28602
  • Start date
I seem to remember being a bit disappointed with the bit in Autobiography when M seemed to just avoid going into detail on PP. I'd wondered if he didn't want to go into the uncertainty of his backing production team/band at the time. Your background info on this groundbreaking doc helps explain it being avoided.
PP was probably originally destined to be an album track(for the abandoned, original 'Bona Drag'), in particular the longer early version with the extra verse and the coda. I'm pretty sure the single release is slightly sped up too, to give it that extra bounce.
I can't find the actual interview from the time of the single's release where he talks about 'Johnny Go Home'. It's mentioned in the Mozipedia and there's a quote of him talking about it, but they don't give the source of the interview. It's also claimed that Morrissey had first hand experience of hearing London boys using Palare/Polari, but again there is sadly scant information on how this occurred.

Re: Johnny Go Home doc
Watched just over an hour of it last night, plan to watch the remainder tonight. I'm pleased it was mentioned here, it's definitely worth a viewing. I can't recall seeing it before. I won't say any more.

Re: Johnny Go Home doc
Watched just over an hour of it last night, plan to watch the remainder tonight. I'm pleased it was mentioned here, it's definitely worth a viewing. I can't recall seeing it before. I won't say any more.
Brilliantly made, and tragically turned into a true-life crime thriller before it was finished. Very revealing about many aspects of society, for example, the light sentence Gleaves got, partly down to his probably conscious choices to join a church for that reason, and as a former military man, and so on. The song used was Early Morning Rain.

I watched the 2023 award-winning documentary “20 Days in Mariupol”. It's online now here

It follows Ukrainian journalist Mstyslav Chernov as he and his Ukrainian AP colleagues become trapped in the besieged city of Mariupol, struggling to continue their work documenting atrocities of the Russian invasion [and maybe atrocities by other unidentified actors]. The last international journalists remaining in the city as Russian forces close in, Chernov, photographer Evgeniy Maloletka and field producer Vasilisa Stepanenko capture what become some of the most defining images of the war: dying children, mass graves, the bombing of a maternity hospital, and more.

“20 Days in Mariupol” draws on Chernov’s daily news dispatches and personal footage of his own country at war. The result is a raw and haunting account of a journalist risking his life to share the truth of the conflict with the world.

Perhaps partly propaganda, but in presenting a lesser version of what is seen being done in Gaza, the baneful horrors of war anywhere are what affront the viewer. Grim :(

Drive-Away Dolls, the newest Ethan Coen picture. Lesbian road tripping. The first half (or so) I thought was fantastic for a comedy -- great setup, great Odd Couple type characters. The two lead actresses were funny but I didn't know them. Sadly it seems like the writers didn't know what to do with it and it fell a bit flat.

I went to see Poor Things in the cinema last Monday.

I had a few drinks before hand, and then bought another beer in a plastic cup going into the theatre.
I would recommend anybody who watches this to do the same.

The movie starts with a woman (Emma Stone) committing suicide by jumping off a bridge, she is then brought back to life by a mad scientist (Willem Defoe) but the woman now has the mental age of a child.
She runs away with a man who promises to show her the world, he has an old timey cartoony villain sort of vibe.
They go to Lisbon, have lots of very graphic sex and then end up in Paris where she works in a brothel and explorers her sexuality.

It is later revealed that when she died at the beginning, the brain of her unborn child was transplanted into her head.

The film explores themes of power, control, and manipulation, as well as the ethical implications of scientific advancements. The mad scientist’s resurrection of this woman raises questions about the boundaries of science and the consequences of playing god. Her agency and autonomy are challenged as she becomes a pawn in his machinations.

The director Lanthimos' signature dark humour and surreal imagery are present throughout the film, creating an unsettling and thought-provoking atmosphere.

I can’t decide whether it’s a great or terrible movie, but it’s certainly not somewhere in the middle.

IMG_5625.jpeg

2004 Israeli film praised by Morrissey, Walk on Water, is online to view, with subtitles - https://ok.ru/video/3102588209741

Draws on several themes still very much alive in the world; doubling as action thriller and satisfying human interest drama.

He who controls the spice controls the universe​

Just saw Dune 2.

Quite a long movie, although more happens in this one than the first.
Another cliffhanger ending, meaning we’ll have to wait at least another couple of years to see how the plot unfolds.
(assuming you haven’t read the books)

As with the first movie there is fantastic world building, we get to see more of the Fremen and their culture and the Harkonnen home world.
The Bene Gesserit (the original spice girls) are still up to their old schemes and dictating the fate of the galaxy.

Christopher Walken as the Emporer seems slightly out of place. I’m not sure if it’s just because he’s Christopher Walken and you’re very aware that you’re watching Christopher Walken play Christopher Walken. But all I see is Christopher Walken rather than a Galactic Emporer.

IMG_5661.jpeg

Last edited:

He who controls the spice controls the universe​

Just saw Dune 2.

Quite a long movie, although more happens in this one than the first.
Another cliffhanger ending, meaning we’ll have to wait at least another couple of years to see how the plot unfolds.
(assuming you haven’t read the books)

As with the first movie there is fantastic world building, we get to see more of the Fremen and their culture and the Harkonnen home world.
The Bene Gesserit (the original space girls) are still up to their old schemes and dictating the fate of the galaxy.

Christopher Walken as the Emporer seems slightly out of place. I’m not sure if it’s just because he’s Christopher Walken and you’re very aware that you’re watching Christopher Walken play Christopher Walken. But all I see is Christopher Walken rather than a Galactic Empire.

View attachment 102319
As for me, the story unfolds very slowly. The movie lacks dynamism. Maybe I should read the book, but that would take even more time :D

I went to see Poor Things in the cinema last Monday.

I had a few drinks before hand, and then bought another beer in a plastic cup going into the theatre.
I would recommend anybody who watches this to do the same.

Yeah- Can I just recommend the use of a barrel instead of bloody plastic again? Thanx.

Also, speaking of theatres. I hear posh people increasingly pronounce it ‘thee-ah-ter’ which I have never heard before.
Now I feel common as muck for pronouncing it ‘theater’

Also, speaking of theatres. I hear posh people increasingly pronounce it ‘thee-ah-ter’ which I have never heard before.
Now I feel common as muck for pronouncing it ‘theater’
i dont understand what you mean by pronouncing it 'theater' if you dont mean 'thee-ah-ter.' you dont pronounce it 'theeter" do you?!

are you allowed to drink beer in the streets in england?

you're allowed to do meth and smoke pot in the streets here though, just no alcohol.:rolleyes:

i dont understand what you mean by pronouncing it 'theater' if you dont mean 'thee-ah-ter.' you dont pronounce it 'theeter" do you?!

are you allowed to drink beer in the streets in england?

you're allowed to do meth and smoke pot in the streets here though, just no alcohol.:rolleyes:
Well everybody I know pronounces it ‘theater’ which very little emphasis on the ‘a’ sound.
But poshos seem to pronounce it ‘thee-AHH-ter’ it’s a bit hard to convey these pronunciations in text.
You can hear your boy Douglas Murray pronounce it here at 6.30 although he pronounces it quite subtly.

Yes, in England you can drink in the street or have a piss up in the park.
People drink cocktails in cans on the tube or crack open 6 packs of beer in the street.

There is also no ‘public indecency’ law so you can technically walk around naked without breaking the law.
It’s only a crime when you ‘disturb the peace’ so if your nakedness offends people and causes a commotion that’s the crime they will get you on.

But if you wanna walk around in the nip in a more rural and quiet area, I don’t think the police will do anything. It’s just a human body after all.

Americans find these sorts of things very strange it seems.

Well everybody I know pronounces it ‘theater’ which very little emphasis on the ‘a’ sound.
But poshos seem to pronounce it ‘thee-AHH-ter’ it’s a bit hard to convey these pronunciations in text.
You can hear your boy Douglas Murray pronounce it here at 6.30 although he pronounces it quite subtly.

Yes, in England you can drink in the street or have a piss up in the park.
People drink cocktails in cans on the tube or crack open 6 packs of beer in the street.

There is also no ‘public indecency’ law so you can technically walk around naked without breaking the law.
It’s only a crime when you ‘disturb the peace’ so if your nakedness offends people and causes a commotion that’s the crime they will get you on.

But if you wanna walk around in the nip in a more rural and quiet area, I don’t think the police will do anything. It’s just a human body after all.

Americans find these sorts of things very strange it seems.

Oh yes, dougie was the first person I thought of when you mentioned the pronunciation of theatre :love: he does have a very grandiose way of pronouncing it. I love how hes not afraid of being grand. However, i think so long as you're pronouncing a little 'a' and not just saying 'theeeeeder' you're good.

I don't know if there's a law against being naked in public here but you would certainly be subject to a mental health check for doing it. I remember my sister wanted me to call the police station to find out if it was legal to go topless here (presumably she wanted to go topless (yet wasn't brave enough to call the police herself to ask)) and even they didn't seem to know. They were just like "well I don't think anyone would say anything if you did" :lbf:

Do people spit in England? People spit all the time here. I'm forever having to dodge gobs of spit when walking down the street. Like, why is that even necessary?! f***ing troglodytes.

Do people spit in England? People spit all the time here. I'm forever having to dodge gobs of spit when walking down the street. Like, why is that even necessary?! f***ing troglodytes.
Yes but only these people.
Ah yes, all of those mods and skins you see on every high street in 2024.
The only thing I see kids wearing nowadays are black puffer jackets paired with grey jogging bottoms.
Walking down Fulham Road the other day I swear there were about 6 guys all with the same identical outfit.

View attachment 101905

Are you drenched in phlegm every time that you come home?
Those people should be publicly flogged, and serial offenders should be gibbeted as a warning to others.

Are you drenched in phlegm every time that you come home?
Those people should be publicly flogged, and serial offenders should be gibbeted as a warning to others.
I feel like I am :(

Sometimes when I hear someone spitting I want to take off my coat and look at the back to make sure they didn't get me.

Oh that reminds me, the other day some kid spit on one of my colleagues, a lady in her 70s. What is this world coming to when old ladies get spit on? All I can tell you is if someone purposely spit on me, they would never see again.

Back
Top Bottom