Stop me if you think you've....BEST Smiths song?

i_alex

"stop me..."....my opinion, but this song is the best...writing wise, production, melody, the whole package.....I NEVER get sick of playing it, over & over.....opinions?

b4 you chime in...put it on again, and listen like you've never done b4...seriously.....it's mind blowingly good

I disagree with you, but not by much. I'd put it among the five best Smiths songs, though not first. The singing is great, Morrissey's lyrics are funny, well-observed, and subtly scathing, and Marr, Rourke and Joyce turn in fine performances.

I just listened to it, and yes, it is the greatest song ever written.

Ok, not really.
It's not my absolute favorite Smiths song, but it's in my top five probably.

But from an objective point of view (ha), I'll agree and say it's their strongest song because like you said, it has the complete package.
Should have been a UK single.

This was the last song he played at the Tulsa gig back in March of this year.
It was during this song that he took my hand, shook it, let go and continued "nothing's changed, I still love you, oh I still love you..."

So... yes, I love it.

Stop me is a wicked tune for sure. Top 5.

But my personal fave is Well I Wonder, followed VERY closely by That Joke.........

It is very very difficult to have faves, as all their songs are truely amazing.

i think it's impossible (for me) to have a top 5 of faves...really.

To have a top 5, it is a very difficult choice ! But 'Stop me...' can easily be in my top 10. In fact, the great side of this song is its catchy and simple melody, when you hear it, you keep it in head... perfect as single.

I just watched the video on my DVR, heard the whoIe aIbum yesturday.....this is a defenete SMITHS top 5 for me!!

The catchiest song for me is "BigMouth...." I can never get enough of it.... It is in my head for hours and hours after Iistening to it everytime and of course I enjoy it!

Last edited:
My faves are "I Won't Share You" and "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore".

"Stop Me" is a great song however my impression of it is ruined forever since hearing that really strange voice singing along to it on a brief download earlier on the tour.

ive always liked it, but not that much.....probably not in my top 25

I'd couldn't name my best Smiths song, I love the intro to hand that rocks the cradle, I could listen to that over and over and over....

Definetly one of my favs. Would've been a killer single back in '87 pity bout all that Hungerford massacre (unlikely?) connection....

I reckon it should have been coupled with "paint a vulgar picture" and been released . 2 classic Smiths tunes. Totally representing the Strangeways album and a fitting end to the great band

Still Ill and Rubber Ring spring to mind, but would find it difficult to select just one or even a handful

YES...that guitar solo at the end!!!!....ah...bliss

well, atleast it made most top 5's.....but one of you said not even in your top 25???.......huh???....curious what the top 5 might be then,

mjp said:
"Stop Me" is a great song however my impression of it is ruined forever since hearing that really strange voice singing along to it on a brief download earlier on the tour.

Yes! I was unfortunate enough to catch that too!! Awful - still getting flashbacks! However, its still my favourite Smiths track overall, I love it so.

Only one song better than "Stop me" and thats "Well I Wonder" a beautiful piece of music.

i_alex said:
YES...that guitar solo at the end!!!!....ah...bliss

well, atleast it made most top 5's.....but one of you said not even in your top 25???.......huh???....curious what the top 5 might be then,

Im actually really shocked at the positive responses, perhaps those that really liked this song replied most. I do like the song, but just never considered it a favorite. Hmmmm......here's 25 i like better (Im not sure it makes my top 35)....

1. Headmaster Ritual
2. I Wont Share You
3. Girl Afraid
4. Rubber Ring
5. Shoplifters
6. How Soon Is Now
7. Rusholme Ruffians
8. Hand In Glove
9. Panic
10.Heaven Knows....
11.This Night Has Opened My Eyes
12.Half A Person