Morrissey Central "SHAKE THE HAND THAT SHOOK THE HAND" (January 5, 2024)

Meetings most prized, when the
pleasure and privilege was mine:
pressing palms, exuding charms;
times gone …
by Morrissey

full

Joan Collins and Anthony Newley.

1.Anthony Newley
2.Richard Attenborough
3.Lou Reed
4.Peter Wyngarde
5.Nancy Sinatra
6.David Bowie
7.Nico
8.Tom Jones
9.Marianne Faithfull
10.Richard Davalos
11.Eve Arden
12.Dick Gregory
13.Joan Collins
14.Cliff Richard
15.Luchiani Pavarotti
16.Ennio Morricone
17.Pat Phoenix
18.Mick Ronson
19.Iggy Pop
20.Martin Sheen
21.Pete Townshend
22.Mick Jagger
23.Jeff Beck
24.Al Martino
25.Victoria Wood
26.Joel Fabiani
27.Patti Smith
28.William Shatner
29.Rita Tushingham
30.Alan Bennett
31.David Bailey
32.Mel Gibson
33.Elaine Stritch
34.Vanessa Redgrave
35.Buffy Sainte-Marie
36.Paul Simon
37.Johnny Carson
38.Cathy McGowan
39.Kenny Lynch
40. Eartha Kitt
41.Jackson Browne
42.Joni Mitchell
43.Charles Pierce
44.David Johansen
45.Johnny Thunders
46.Mavis Nicholson
47.Leee Black Childers
48.Lauren Bacall
49.Dora Bryan
50.Joan Sims
51.Melvyn Bragg
52.Marc Bolan

Joel Fabiani and Peter Wyngarde in Department S

Last edited by a moderator:
He’s reflecting on time and meeting the People who touched his heart in one way or another. I don’t think the numbers mean anything. I’m not shocked by anyone on this list or those not mentioned. I am thinking about where his mind may be at the moment. The post is a bit obscure in a way. Pair this with the last “You know I cannot last” post…

This is the Morrissey I love, but “times gone” leaves me feeling sad. It’s a bit “My Way” ish.

Am I thinking about this too deeply??

People are dying every day. None of us are going to get out of this alive. Even Moz.

don't think its just a list of everyone he has ever met,it seems to be ones he has looked up to or enjoyed their work.
good to see joan sims and Kenny lynch,i was watching Kenny lynch in the classic horror dr terrors house of horrors during the week.

I wonder where he would have met Kenny Lynch.

He’s reflecting on time and meeting the People who touched his heart in one way or another. I don’t think the numbers mean anything. I’m not shocked by anyone on this list or those not mentioned. I am thinking about where his mind may be at the moment. The post is a bit obscure in a way. Pair this with the last “You know I cannot last” post…

This is the Morrissey I love, but “times gone” leaves me feeling sad. It’s a bit “My Way” ish.

Am I thinking about this too deeply??
No i dont think so, i agree with what you say, if he had written it in the 80s it would have probably had Viv Nicholson and Sandie Shaw included, but really he is just looking back and probably wondering how this all came about, from gloomy northern roots to Hollywood royalty, its quite a journey.

I read on here a long time ago that stallone went to see him backstage,just shows how many of these people he has met.
no gilbert o Sullivan.

Last edited:
the mistake most people make dan is they assume they were hammer,the production company was amicus,everydays a shool day.
The one on the train with Tom Baker and Peter Cushing was great, genuinely creepy, was that the one where they go to the restaurant and theyre all vampires?

I have an old Amicus coffin shaped box set. I'm forever hoping someone gets Tyburn to release The Ghoul (the one with John Hurt).

Recently I found an Anthony Newley musical that I've never heard of - Mister Quilp. The person who posted it worked on the film.

He didn’t mention locking eyes with @Light Housework on a bench in Vancouver, nor did he mention solid eye contact with me, the only person standing on the balcony at Troxy, London for an hour and a half.

Do we mean nothing to him? 😂
I pressed his palm at his Meltdown. He didn’t even look at me, and instead stared lovingly and longingly into the eyes of the brute on my Boxers t-shirt. I wouldn’t, incidentally, want it any other way.

My own list:

1. Locking eyes with Moz in London
2. Cathy Newman running into me and having a mini tantrum
3. Walking past Daisy Ridley on a river walk
4. Meeting Alan Rickman at a low budget play he did in Hampshire circa 2010
5. Getting in the way of Harrison Ford at LAX, moving quickly out the way for him and having him scowl at me. For this last one I have photographic proof of the back of his head.

View attachment 100168

that's quite similar to my list...
1 locking lips with Moz in Nottingham (that was July last year!)
2 Paul Newman scowling at me on set in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
3 milking Daisy the cow on the local farm
4 building a rickshaw in my shed
5 working on the model T Ford line in 1908 - I have no photographic proof, sorry.

My own list:

1. Locking eyes with Moz in London
2. Cathy Newman running into me and having a mini tantrum
3. Walking past Daisy Ridley on a river walk
4. Meeting Alan Rickman at a low budget play he did in Hampshire circa 2010
5. Getting in the way of Harrison Ford at LAX, moving quickly out the way for him and having him scowl at me. For this last one I have photographic proof of the back of his head.

View attachment 100168

1 _ Gail Tisley walking down the Kings Road in the late 80's (tiny).
2 - Burt Kwouk walking near Soho Square
3 - Jason Donovan's dad in a wine bar in Notting Hill
4 - Brett Anderson at the Imperial War Museum last Dec (friendly)
5 - Seeing Andy M, lead singer of OMD, walking out of a sex shop in Soho, 90's.
6 - Retired West Ham legend Trevor Brooking and others at the opening of a supermarket on Canvey Island in the late 70's.

He does mention Nico living in the same place
upstairs(?) from Linder, but I don’t remember M saying he actually met her.
Exactly. I think he only started mentioning Nico after The Smiths’ days.
During The Smiths’ rise she was actually living in Manchester but he never even mentioned her.
I think.

Lauren Bacall is one of the few on the list that I would consider a real star. I'd like to know where he met her. This look at her appartment in the same building where John Lennon lived and was murdered is interesting.

Exactly. I think he only started mentioning Nico after The Smiths’ days.
During The Smiths’ rise she was actually living in Manchester but he never even mentioned her.
I think.

he mentioned her in the MisM Smiths tour program, favorite albums question.

How & when did Moz meet Bolan? He died when Moz was still 18 years old sitting in his bedroom writing letters to Sounds & NME........ I know that T Rex was his first ever gig because it was mine too (Belle Vue, June 1972), but it seems unlikely that he would've shaken his 13 year old hand.

Back
Top Bottom