SER reveals the gatefold image for TQID boxset.

Via Instagram stories - an image many of us are familiar with.

40938_ser_tqid.jpg

20171014_010655.png

The mp4 it comes from:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/qy6xas
Regards,
FWD.

The original image:
Smiths-800x530.jpg

Credited to Oli Scarff / Getty.
Published in the Boston Globe, 2010.
Students protesting tuition fee rises.

Related item:

Last edited:
Haha! The Jar Jar of the Smiths art world would be the cover of Shoplifters with added Banthas in the background or something.

What Moz has done with re-issuing his solo records - the choppy edits, the ‘improved’ artwork and the swapping of key tracks for rough demos, sort of reminds me what Lucas did with the original trilogy. If you’re an artist and you make a movie or a record it ceases to belong to you once it’s been created. It belongs to everyone. It’s selfish to try and change it.

However I am pleased to say this image really works, and it denotes the fact that the album, the band and the messaging are still relevant today.

I'm surprised Morrissey didn't photoshop a The Queen Is Dead t-shirt over the Hatful of Hollow t-shirt.

Great picture, hadn't seen it before, fits quite well with the album... alas I still won't be purchasing it as I'll continue playing my original copy.

Re-issue, re-package.

Haha! The Jar Jar of the Smiths art world would be the cover of Shoplifters with added Banthas in the background or something.

What Moz has done with re-issuing his solo records - the choppy edits, the ‘improved’ artwork and the swapping of key tracks for rough demos, sort of reminds me what Lucas did with the original trilogy. If you’re an artist and you make a movie or a record it ceases to belong to you once it’s been created. It belongs to everyone. It’s selfish to try and change it.

However I am pleased to say this image really works, and it denotes the fact that the album, the band and the messaging are still relevant today.

But when you think about the analog with writers publishing a book, when there are reprints or reissues they can and many times do revise and change their work, leaving passages out and adding previously unknown ones.
It is the prerogative of the owner, the creator, to do with it what they want. The older versions are still existent.
Whether that's good or bad is a completely different matter of opinion. Also interesting.

But it is a genuine non posed photo of a protestor. It was a march against the imposition of new student fees I believe. Once in a lifetime shot, but absolutely real.

Education should be free and based on personal merits. Today more than ever, when technology rules. The only way to guarantee true social mobility. But if someone don't desire that, then higher fees there will be.

And the moded won't even get her free gatefold sleeve of TQIS, all benefits going to the photgrapher, she will have to buy it like anyone else except she's no more like anyone else. Cruel capitalist word we live in

Education should be free and based on personal merits. Today more than ever, when technology rules. The only way to guarantee true social mobility. But if someone don't desire that, then higher fees there will be.

Education is free here in Sweden but that still mean you have to fund the rest of your life as you need to live somewhere and eat and so on. The student loans here are very affordable and I had one myself that I decided to pay back in full about 10 years ago.

It just felt wrong to be 40 and getting reminders about my yearly student loan fee. In my case much of the loan funded the furniture and other things when I left home and moved to my own place at almost no interest at all.

Well, í wasn't planning on buying this release.
Actually more excited about 'Listen Without Prejudice' box coming on same day; but, DAMN!, this looks be-yoot-ee-fool ~

22500001_1866174256733798_5636034520227512320_n.jpg

22429595_1724983934475317_8097605231048654848_n.jpg

22499973_1075755405860448_8325721900600786944_n.jpg

22429578_132671514052731_2760286270373494784_n.jpg

22430153_1183038921796881_7212248992002867200_n.jpg

~ í don't quite get where all the Beat bit comes from, but those are some Cool Shots. The Kerouac wireless tuning shot was taken in 1959 (interestingly?) and the Burroughs Beat-ing Jack shot was by Ginsberg on a Jolly Boys Outing to Morocco in 1953.

í will buy it just for that Alternate Alain Additional Recordings cover :yum:

These were grabbed from shoot_speed_kill_light's instagram page. Says the sleeves are flimsy but look great. He/She bought it at Amoeba on Sunset yesterday. Now that's a great Sunday...

Well, í wasn't planning on buying this release.
Actually more excited about 'Listen Without Prejudice' box coming on same day; but, DAMN!, this looks be-yoot-ee-fool ~

22500001_1866174256733798_5636034520227512320_n.jpg

22429595_1724983934475317_8097605231048654848_n.jpg

22499973_1075755405860448_8325721900600786944_n.jpg

22429578_132671514052731_2760286270373494784_n.jpg

22430153_1183038921796881_7212248992002867200_n.jpg

~ í don't quite get where all the Beat bit comes from, but those are some Cool Shots. The Kerouac wireless tuning shot was taken in 1959 (interestingly?) and the Burroughs Beat-ing Jack shot was by Ginsberg on a Jolly Boys Outing to Morocco in 1953.

í will buy it just for that Alternate Alain Additional Recordings cover :yum:

These were grabbed from shoot_speed_kill_light's instagram page. Says the sleeves are flimsy but look great. He/She bought it at Amoeba on Sunset yesterday. Now that's a great Sunday...

yes, great photos... sadly all the Beat Queens are dead. But live on through remembrance.

Burroughs shot his wife in the head. Kerouac abandoned his only daughter.

But when you think about the analog with writers publishing a book, when there are reprints or reissues they can and many times do revise and change their work, leaving passages out and adding previously unknown ones.
It is the prerogative of the owner, the creator, to do with it what they want. The older versions are still existent.
Whether that's good or bad is a completely different matter of opinion. Also interesting.
Morrissey/Marr are obviously not adverse to milking the fans for money. To keep their retirement fund fully topped up.

Picked up my boxes (CD & Vinyl) today. No flimsiness with my sleeves.

Matrix message on ALL FIVE VINYLS (!) is...."CUTS? AXE THE MONARCHY"...see what he did there?... :oops:

The CD box has a 12 page booklet with lyrics simply & beautifully presented (sans song titles) on odd pages, while the 5 even pages have the same image of Big Ben at 2:09pm, with each successive image getting lighter until the last shot is almost all grey. Zero Arndale.

The LP has the disc in a polythene U-bag with full lyrics printed, again simply & classically, on a separate innerbag.
To see the full lyrics presented on one 12" square slab, as a continuous piece of text, no song titles to separate, is quite...moving, actually. To read those words, all at once, once again, is to remember what it was to be alive and dieing in the last century.
The rest of the studio sleeves are a Feast of Alain, with various slight variants of the Fallen Delon.
'artwork by esteban and darren'!

í am slightly disappointed by the absence of any colour. í get that the monochrome image is more classical, and there isn't really any colour of text that would work well, other than white. But they seem to have applied an almost newsprint-dot effect on the new sleeve which just makes it softer and less powerful. í would have hoped that with modern digital repro techniques they could have really brought out more drama from the original MGM source image. But if anything they've gone in the opposite direction.
The original had beautiful grain (see below) that almost elevated it to the level of painting.
Strangley, the cover of the quaintly-named 'Additional Recordings' double album, has a better quality variant image of Delon than the '2017 Master' cover.
í do mourn the dear old Pantone 350C/197C combo.
But even if they wanted a change, í always thought this version (for a proposed press ad/fly poster) looked lovely ~

THE%5FSMITHS_THE%2BQUEEN%2BIS%2BDEAD%2B%2D%2BARTWORK-675501f.jpg

~ imagine that with pillarbox red text :yum:

Picked up my boxes (CD & Vinyl) today. No flimsiness with my sleeves.

Matrix message on ALL FIVE VINYLS (!) is...."CUTS? AXE THE MONARCHY"...see what he did there?... :oops:

The CD box has a 12 page booklet with lyrics simply & beautifully presented (sans song titles) on odd pages, while the 5 even pages have the same image of Big Ben at 2:09pm, with each successive image getting lighter until the last shot is almost all grey. Zero Arndale.

The LP has the disc in a polythene U-bag with full lyrics printed, again simply & classically, on a separate innerbag.
To see the full lyrics presented on one 12" square slab, as a continuous piece of text, no song titles to separate, is quite...moving, actually. To read those words, all at once, once again, is to remember what it was to be alive and dieing in the last century.
The rest of the studio sleeves are a Feast of Alain, with various slight variants of the Fallen Delon.
'artwork by esteban and darren'!

í am slightly disappointed by the absence of any colour. í get that the monochrome image is more classical, and there isn't really any colour of text that would work well, other than white. But they seem to have applied an almost newsprint-dot effect on the new sleeve which just makes it softer and less powerful. í would have hoped that with modern digital repro techniques they could have really brought out more drama from the original MGM source image. But if anything they've gone in the opposite direction.
The original had beautiful grain (see below) that almost elevated it to the level of painting.
Strangley, the cover of the quaintly-named 'Additional Recordings' double album, has a better quality variant image of Delon than the '2017 Master' cover.
í do mourn the dear old Pantone 350C/197C combo.
But even if they wanted a change, í always thought this version (for a proposed press ad/fly poster) looked lovely ~

THE%5FSMITHS_THE%2BQUEEN%2BIS%2BDEAD%2B%2D%2BARTWORK-675501f.jpg

~ imagine that with pillarbox red text :yum:

' the same image of Big Ben at 2:09pm, with each successive image getting lighter until the last shot is almost all grey.'

what's that about? what does it mean ?

great post btw. :thumb:

The pre 2000's Morrissey would not have used a photo of an image and happpenstance that was 30 years hence from an albums release. Those helmets on the police are such a modern convention. How did he go from being the author of such iconic sleeve imagery to such shite?

And William Burroughs like a randy badger, inside society's stagnated subconscious
and impregnates its fears with queer ideas.

That made me wanna burst into song cause those are some serious lyrics right there. Snap the mic chord about a bit and maybe include flowers.

Tags
tqid reissue
Back
Top Bottom