Record Collector: Jim Reid (The Jesus And Mary Chain) on The Smiths debut album

Couple of bits from the latest Record Collector #556 (April, 2024):

The Smiths
(Rough Trade, 1984)

"William is a massive Smiths fan. I wasn't a fan then and I'm not a fan now. It used to drive me mad because I couldn't find anyone back then who didn't like The Smiths. I don't get them at all. They leave me completely cold."

markup_1000159543.png

Small bit on a record shop too:

markup_1000159524.png

FWD.

the bay city rollers sold 120 million records,there is very few few bands in history
could ever match those numbers,the ramones based their whole act on the rollers.
the associates.
simple minds.
franz ferdinand.
big country.
wet wet wet.
the sensational alex harvey band.
the proclaimers.
a c d c.
churches.
biffy clyro
calvin harris.
annie lennox.
lewis capaldi.
snow patrol.
texas.
travis.
belle and sebastian.
amy mc donald.
kt tunstall.
primal scream.
teenage fanclub.
deacon blue.
hue and cry.
scotland has always been a hotbed for music.ps rod stewart,good celtic fan as well.
acdc is a funny one,classed as an australin band but three members angus and malcolm young were born in glasgow as was bonn scott so im claiming them as a shortbread band.ooccchhh aye the nooo.

the bay city rollers sold 120 million records,there is very few few bands in history
could ever match those numbers,the ramones based their whole act on the rollers.
the associates.
simple minds.
franz ferdinand.
big country.
wet wet wet.
the proclaimers.
a c d c.
churches.
biffy clyro
calvin harris.
annie lennox.
lewis capaldi.
snow patrol.
texas.
travis.
belle and sebastian.
amy mc donald.
kt tunstall.
primal scream.
teenage fanclub.
deacon blue.
hue and cry.
scotland has always been a hotbed for music.ps rod stewart,good celtic fan as well.
acdc is a funny one,classed as an australin band but three members angus and malcolm young were born in glasgow as was bonn scott so im claiming them as a shortbread band.ooccchhh aye the nooo.
Not forgetting:

What a sensationally misinformed statement. It is said that the BCR inspired the Ramones song “Blitzkrieg Bop”, yes, but don’t lose yourself in jingoistic propaganda and say that this boy band inspired their whole act.

the associates.
simple minds.
franz ferdinand.
big country.
wet wet wet.
the proclaimers.
a c d c.
churches.
biffy clyro
calvin harris.
annie lennox.
lewis capaldi.
snow patrol.
texas.
travis.
belle and sebastian.
amy mc donald.
kt tunstall.
primal scream.
teenage fanclub.
deacon blue.
hue and cry.

You missed off Altered Images

Nobody yet mentioned The Waterboys? They are up there definitely. And Lloyd Cole and the Commotions.

Also The Associates, early Simple Minds, Belle and Sebastian and, yes, JAMC.

Last edited:
Nobody yet mentioned The Waterboys? They are up there definitely. And Lloyd Cole and the Commotions.

Also The Associates, early Simple Minds, Belle and Sebastian and, yes, JAMC.
The Jesus And Mary Chain. Great band name. Shame they forgot to write (m)any good songs. And the drum machine was always lame.

Who on earth could rate The Second Coming higher than The Stone Roses? That album was the end of the band.

I would add in the largely overlooked Trashcan Sinatras as another good Scottish band. The anthemic Obscurity Knocks was a Smiths hit filtered through Aztec Camera and The Sundays

I read the book Barbed Wire Kisses a while back. It’s about JAMC. There’s one or two mentions of Morrissey attending JAMC gigs.

What a sensationally misinformed statement. It is said that the BCR inspired the Ramones song “Blitzkrieg Bop”, yes, but don’t lose yourself in jingoistic propaganda and say that this boy band inspired their whole act.
the ramones saw the rollers on tv with their outfits and they decided they need a type of uniform so they chose the leather jackets,they saw the rollers on tv singing saturday night and loved the way the song started which inspired them to write hey ho lets go,stick that in yer pipe and smoke it.

Can I mention Ballboy? For some reason my post yesterday mentioning Ballboy did not appear, don't know why. For that reason, I am mentioning Ballboy, again, now.

the ramones saw the rollers on tv with their outfits and they decided they need a type of uniform so they chose the leather jackets,they saw the rollers on tv singing saturday night and loved the way the song started which inspired them to write hey ho lets go,stick that in yer pipe and smoke it.
The song is called ‘Blitzkrieg Bop’. And I don’t know how you came to the conclusion that BCR inspired their outfits. Perplexing.

my two favourite yo mama jokes.
yo mama is so fat she stood on the i speak your weight machine and it said to be continued.
yo mamas house is so small she ordered a large pizza and had to eat it outside.

The song is called ‘Blitzkrieg Bop’. And I don’t know how you came to the conclusion that BCR inspired their outfits. Perplexing.
because its from their own mouths,its called speaking,heres my number phone me in 5 minutes.
0905 918 8888

because its from their own mouths,its called speaking,heres my number phone me in 5 minutes.
0905 918 8888
I think that’s been wildly exaggerated by the Rollers. Wishful thinking, perhaps? The Ramones are, after all, one of the most influential bands in rocknroll history.

I think that’s been wildly exaggerated by the Rollers. Wishful thinking, perhaps? The Ramones are, after all, one of the most influential bands in rocknroll history.
have they sold 120 million records,nah didnt think so.

Strong argument regarding being an influential rocknroll band.
im sure there are many bands who would swap being influential for a wheelbarrow full of £50 notes especially in this day and age when greed is good.

The Jesus And Mary Chain. Great band name. Shame they forgot to write (m)any good songs. And the drum machine was always lame.

Who on earth could rate The Second Coming higher than The Stone Roses? That album was the end of the band.

I would add in the largely overlooked Trashcan Sinatras as another good Scottish band. The anthemic Obscurity Knocks was a Smiths hit filtered through Aztec Camera and The Sundays
Oh yes, the Trashcans are lovely! How could I forget them.

im sure there are many bands who would swap being influential for a wheelbarrow full of £50 notes especially in this day and age when greed is good.
Luckily a lot of bands have integrity. The Ramones tried, in a half-ass way, admittedly, to get a hit with the album End of the Century in 1979 (produced by Phil Spector), but the record failed and after that they said f*** it and just kept doing what they felt like. They are universally loved, hugely influential and deeply respected among their peers. I’d say they made the right choice.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom