Rebels Without Applause single

I can't quite remember the details but weren't That's How People Grow Up and also All you Need is me from non-album sessions?

I remember it as a surprise that they actually appeared on the album, it seemed to be received as "old tracks used as album fillers" I don't think it was a situation where an album was recorded, singles released yet the album being held back.

More than happy to be wrong though!
Apart from one song which was apparently added at a later session, the entire 'Years of Refusal' album was recorded in Nov/Dec 2007. The release date ended up getting pushed back as Sanctuary Records went defunct and Morrissey ended up getting a new deal with Decca for 'Refusal' + a compilation album . The use of 2 tracks from 'Refusal' as early teasers on the Greatest Hits album was clearly nothing more than a cynical business move by Decca to maximise earnings. Offer a couple of new tracks to make fans buy the compilation, then sell the same tracks to them again a year later. 'Buy both, and feel deceived'. From memory 'Refusal' was delayed yet again by the search for a US label, which finally ended up being Lost Highway. Even the live shows were out of whack at this point, with Morrissey playing loads of songs from 'Refusal' on tour long before the album came out.

Yep, done a bit of reading and seems that I am wrong. It might be another single or maybe misreporting at the time but I certainly recall That’s how people grow up as being recorded during a tour with Kristen Young as support. All recorded and released within a few weeks. Anyone else remember what this was?

I was pretty sure it was that song but I’ve now read that whole album was recorded during a session in LA. Maybe I am getting old!

Yep, done a bit of reading and seems that I am wrong. It might be another single or maybe misreporting at the time but I certainly recall That’s how people grow up as being recorded during a tour with Kristen Young as support. All recorded and released within a few weeks. Anyone else remember what this was?

I was pretty sure it was that song but I’ve now read that whole album was recorded during a session in LA. Maybe I am getting old!

At least All You Need Is Me was recorded with another producer (Gustavo Santaolalla). That's How People Grow Up was recorded in Texas, but I think the rest of the album was recorded in LA with Jerry Finn.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers spotify
Back
Top Bottom