Read Morrissey's Handwritten Response To A Fanzine - clashmusic.com

Read: Morrissey's Handwritten Response To A Fanzine - Clash Magazine
"...we quite literally do not owe anyone anything."

Excerpt:

Clash have been handed an extract from a letter written by Morrissey to legendary fanzine The City Is Ablaze!

moz_letter_excerpt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this. Particularly because he can't spell "nonsense" :D

I love his lowercase "p". :love:

Terrible penmanship... almost as bad as mine.
This makes me feel so close to him!!!

could someone tell me how long were the Smiths "early days"?
I mean really did they wander in the desert for that long before being signed and after that selling records?
I really don't know, don't really pay attention to that stuff
but I am willing to learn :)

Last edited:
could someone tell me how long were the Smiths "early days"?
I mean really did they wander in the desert for that long before being signed and after that selling records?
I really don't know, don't really pay attention to that stuff
but I am willing to learn :)

Morrissey and Marr met in May 1982, properly formed "The Smiths" in September/October and were signed to Rough Trade by May '83. So that's...barely 8 months between forming a band and being signed. He's just being dramatic.

Last edited:
I'd love it if you could get a book with all of Morrisseys hand writen letters, a nice classy Peepholism style book, I'm too young to have appreciated the D.I.Y fanzines of the 80s and 90s, mostly black and white pages but with the odd glossy colour picture, but yeah these letters would be ace if they were all compiled into a lovely smart book.

Why do people STILL fail to get that he has always and will always use hyperbole to illustrate his points? Instead, over and over, you take his words LITERALLY just so you can sneer and criticise.

*Yawns*

Why do people STILL fail to get that he has always and will always use hyperbole to illustrate his points? Instead, over and over, you take his words LITERALLY just so you can sneer and criticise.

*Yawns*

I'll believe that when you actually take the time to cite these alleged accusations of any "sneering" and "criticism" (harmless, gentle jokes are neither, you over-sensitive dunce) that aren't your own post.

*Groans*

Morrissey and Marr met in May 1982, properly formed "The Smiths" in September/October and were signed to Rough Trade by May '83. So that's...barely 8 months between forming a band and being signed. He's just being dramatic.

Well kind of dramatic Amy, but Morrisseys note was an accurate description then and now. In those early years of Smithdom was an abscense of The Smiths being played on the U.K. radio stations. Morrissey is not the only one to weigh in on this seemingly boycott of Smiths tunes, which have only increased in popularity after Morrisseys dramatic, yet truthful note.
There was also a disregard by Rough Trade to fully support their own # 1 act, The Smiths. Lack of advertising the group was of corse noticed in record stores and by The Smiths own managers, when they had one! Save Grant " Showbiz" and Pete Moss, who by most accounts were loyal compatriots & friends with The Smiths. Save also the drama, which sadly saw their departures. Oh, impetious youth!
Fast forwards to 2012 and Morrissey finds himself in somewhat similar situations, though not entirely. Morrissey has the name, stardom, " fame & fortune and everything that goes with it", I thank you all. But it's been no bed of roses, no curtian-call. I consider it a challenge before before the human race, I never fall". Freddie M.
Pardon that rant, but Moz has no record deal or label and still carries on. What Morrissey has accomplished, he's earned and... Will always stay true to you old boy... Always stay true to you...always.

Well kind of dramatic Amy, but Morrisseys note was an accurate description then and now. In those early years of Smithdom was an abscense of The Smiths being played on the U.K. radio stations. Morrissey is not the only one to weigh in on this seemingly boycott of Smiths tunes, which have only increased in popularity after Morrisseys dramatic, yet truthful note.
There was also a disregard by Rough Trade to fully support their own # 1 act, The Smiths. Lack of advertising the group was of corse noticed in record stores and by The Smiths own managers, when they had one! Save Grant " Showbiz" and Pete Moss, who by most accounts were loyal compatriots & friends with The Smiths. Save also the drama, which sadly saw their departures. Oh, impetious youth!
Fast forwards to 2012 and Morrissey finds himself in somewhat similar situations, though not entirely. Morrissey has the name, stardom, " fame & fortune and everything that goes with it", I thank you all. But it's been no bed of roses, no curtian-call. I consider it a challenge before before the human race, I never fall". Freddie M.
Pardon that rant, but Moz has no record deal or label and still carries on. What Morrissey has accomplished, he's earned and... Will always stay true to you old boy... Always stay true to you...always.

It's Joe Moss, not Pete.

Grant Showbiz never managed the Smiths.

Is English your first language? If yes,, then your spelling and grammar are abysmal.

Actually I remember the Smiths being interviewed on Piccadilly Radio around the time of Hand in Glove on the Mike Sweeney show.

Great to read all your comments. It was a strange letter to get as a fourteen year old, one morning before school. The full story - and full letter - are in the book, obv, which you can get at www.thecityisablaze.com if you wish!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom