Pasadena, CA - Cruel World Fest (May 14, 2022) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful / Irish Blood, English Heart / Disappointed / Knockabout World / Billy Budd / Never Had No One Ever / Alma Matters / I Am Veronica / The Loop / First Of The Gang To Die / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Little Man, What Now? / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Half A Person / Suedehead / Jack The Ripper / Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of FWD, @Flibberty & setlist.fm

• Link posted by Surface:

• Links posted by Famous when dead.

16994-d23c81db1bb8afd530303028e8d6cdaa.jpg

Last edited:
“Back to the sad streets of Salford wheee you came from”
He sang the same line on Thursday as well.
JM ain’t from the cathedral city 🫠
Quite, im not sure why that would be a dig at Marr given he's from Manchester not Salford, at least that's what I thought.

But I don't know the ins and outs of Johnnys background .

Johnny was born in Arwick and moved to Wythenshaw as a teenager, so trying to tie him in to a reference to Salford is a bit of a stretch. More likely Moz is singing about himself, or just reaching for his own familiar points of reference.

Quite, im not sure why that would be a dig at Marr given he's from Manchester not Salford, at least that's what I thought.

Maybe Whythenshawe has too many syllables

I think it was hard to top both Blondie and Bauhaus who were on before him. Blondie’s show was energetic and fun. Bauhaus were completely intense. Compared to them, Moz was a bit lackluster. I had to leave halfway through Moz’ set as my friends weren’t into him and they drove.
I agree that the showmanship and theatrics that Bauhaus put into tonight’s show deserved the headlining spot. That said, Morrissey’s energy is coming off like he’s in the middle of a depressive episode. I hope he isn’t because everyone’s ready for his return to form.

Promised myself I wouldn't go to this show, but I was offered two cheap tickets at the last minute and couldn't resist. It was a beautiful night in Pasadena, but festivals are hardly ever ideal settings to catch a performance and this one was no different. There were definitely lots of Bauhausers filing out before the show started, but it didn't really affect anything negatively and the crowd was still nice and large.

That said, it was nice and large and dead. I think Southern California and Los Angeles in particular are vastly overrated when it comes to this mythology of the best places to catch a Morrissey show. I couldn't believe how lifeless and unemotional the crowd response was, especially given that he sang beautifully and the band sounded pretty good. A definite improvement over San Luis Obispo to my ears. Morrissey was adding little vocal flourishes that I hadn't heard him go for in years and the overall mix was much clearer and more powerful than the last show. It's a shame this wasn't reflected back at him by the exhausted and unenthusiastic crowd. Kind of a waste. He was clearly picking up on this and his mood remained pretty muted for the entirety of the set. No band introductions, no banter.

Seems he took my memo and dropped "How Soon is Now?" but I couldn't help but feeling this would have tightened things up as an encore and given the people something of a more climactic finale (especially given that the obvious highlight for the crowd seemed to be "Suedehead.") I guess he didn't feel like catering to them and I don't really blame him.

Maybe it's just a hint of who the actual protagonist is ?

Last edited:
That said, it was nice and large and dead. I think Southern California and Los Angeles in particular are vastly overrated when it comes to this mythology of the best places to catch a Morrissey show. I couldn't believe how lifeless and unemotional the crowd response was
I think that a lot of that probably has to do with the fact that what’s left of his core Los Angeles audience is getting older. Gone are the days of those shows in the 90s and early 2000s, where the crowds were super wild and sometimes violent (thinking of the shows at the Palladium in 1999, where there was constant fist fight going on in the crowd and someone getting stabbed in the parking lot).

Having been to a lot of shows the back in the day, often a lot of the trouble came from the mainly Latino “rebel” and party crew scene that was so transfixed on him at that time. That whole scene doesn’t really exist anymore, and those kids are now in their 40s/50s. That phenomenon, mixed with the rabid fan base that he had at the time, made for extremely physical shows. Festival crowds are always going to be a bit hit or miss, but I think that those wild days of the crowd surging and crushing forward before the opening act even hits the stage are long over.

I think the backing vocals lift this song even more, and adds a bit more umph.
Wonder who she could be????
Blondie was around.
Actually, i am waiting for some backstage photos of them both, Deb Harris that is and M.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny was born in Arwick and moved to Wythenshaw as a teenager, so trying to tie him in to a reference to Salford is a bit of a stretch. More likely Moz is singing about himself, or just reaching for his own familiar points of reference.

Maybe he was singing about the other Smith …

Mark E ?

Screenshot_20220515-132750~3.png

FB_IMG_1652617679643.jpg

Yes folks, 6am in the morning, doing 100 things at once, having a cursory listen to something in background & thinking out loud mention Marr...
Thanks for all the historical & geographical information I overlooked in doing so.
FWD.

Blondie was around.
Actually, i am waiting for some backstage photos of them both.
Mylie perhaps ???one thing about the new song is that it’s so bloody catchy. The chorus enters your brain and refuses to budge until lunch time.

Looks like all the gear was here, lighting, backdrop projections.

I assume there was pre-video also.

Anyone there know ?

I did not spot Miley backstage, but that doesn't mean she wasn't there. Morrissey, Bauhaus and Blondie had a separate compound that wasn't admissible except to them and their bands and teams. I did, however, brush past Damon just after they took the stage.
could be. There was that studio pic of them together.

Guessing he’ll throw How Soon in tonight.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom