NME: "Watch Johnny Marr perform a Smiths classic with Gaz Coombes" (August 14, 2023)

Watch Johnny Marr perform a Smiths classic with Gaz Coombes

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out with Gax Coombes. Only a brief clip.
Regards,
FWD.

full

Nicely done, as Johnny continues to be the standard bearer of the Smiths. He's headlining a sold out festival here.

I went ahead and tried listenin' to that Fever Dreams record again.
This was the third try and I turned it off after about six songs.
Man, that stuff is borin'.
I ain't listenin' again.

I ain't listenin' again.
Isn’t it tiresome to carry on with this schtick of yours? To write like that?

I ain't listenin' again.
Bloated with too many tracks.
Some good concepts, but it all sounds very sterile and probably much better live.

I ain't listenin' again.
As someone who came to The Smiths via Electronic’s first LP: Fever Dreams is indeed utterly, utterly pedestrian and occasionally tragic.

Kinda funny...
Johnny can't really sing Smiths songs but his band sure can play them!
Moz can sing Smiths songs but his band sure can't play them (they can hardly play his solo stuff)!

Is it really so strange?

As someone who came to The Smiths via Electronic’s first LP: Fever Dreams is indeed utterly, utterly pedestrian and occasionally tragic.

I think all of Johnny's albums have some great tracks on but too many fillers. On Fever Dreams I really like Spirit, Human and Night and Day, the rest is just ok, I also like Armatopia and Bright Parade but they were singles and not on any albums.

I think all of Johnny's albums have some great tracks on but too many fillers. On Fever Dreams I really like Spirit, Human and Night and Day, the rest is just ok, I also like Armatopia and Bright Parade but they were singles and not on any albums.
Hi Hello and The Right Thing Right are pretty great too

Johnny certainly likes his vests! :D

Let's not forget about I Want The Heartbeat! That's a great track. In fact, his first two LPs had many highlights. When 'The Messenger' LP first came out, I was really proud of Johnny (even though his vox are kinda 'lo-fi Lou Reed'). You can tell he worked really hard.

Last edited:
I’d love to see the key three, back for a tour. That album has really held up.

Let's not forget about I Want The Heartbeat! That's a great track. In fact, his first two LPs had many highlights. When 'The Messenger' LP first came out, I was really proud of Johnny (even though his vox are kinda 'lo-fi Lou Reed').
Your pride was misplaced.

I’ve seen Johnny Marr twice, once at The Deaf Institute and once with Bert Jansch in Salford. Those two gigs are right up there with my best ever gigs.

I also count Forbidden City as one of the greatest ever pop songs. And if asked when drunk, that’s the song I mention. It’s both an ear worm but always sounds fresh (to me).

I really wanted to go to the Frome gig, but by the time the logistics were done it was sold out.

Let's not forget about I Want The Heartbeat! That's a great track. In fact, his first two LPs had many highlights. When 'The Messenger' LP first came out, I was really proud of Johnny (even though his vox are kinda 'lo-fi Lou Reed'). You can tell he worked really hard.
Agreed, he has some great tunes but yes, its his vocals that let it down, not dissing him but he never set out to be the singer and when he does Smiths songs i can't listen cos theres one key ingredient missing, and it's sad that they wont be singing and playing guitar together again.
But he is doing great by himself.

But isn't Hi Hello a complete rip-off (sorry I mean artistic reinterpretation) of There Is A Light, which in turn is a slight rip-off (sorry I mean artistically influenced) of Dancing Barefoot by Patty Smith?

But isn't Hi Hello a complete rip-off (sorry I mean artistic reinterpretation) of There Is A Light, which in turn is a slight rip-off (sorry I mean artistically influenced) of Dancing Barefoot by Patty Smith?

Absolutely Acton, i saw the video where he is on a bandstand and i could just imagine Moz there with him singing the words cos it was so like There is a Light, if ever there was a song Johnny done solo that sounded written with M in mind, that was it. It had that vibe.

Stop singing!

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom