Morrissey Central "New keyboard player." (May 6, 2023)

unnamed-2.jpg

Camila Grey will play keyboards on the forthcoming Morrissey tour of Israel / Ireland / England.

No surprise.
FWD.

Well, it’s anybody’s guess which songs will be played on the next tour, but it would be very cynical if he did play one of Alain’s new songs on the next tour.
You're forgetting though that they aren't just Alain's songs. They're also Morrissey's songs ;)

Well, it’s anybody’s guess which songs will be played on the next tour, but it would be very cynical if he did play one of Alain’s new songs on the next tour.
I guess that would be one way of seeing it, but it could also be a gesture of good will or an olive branch, if he did.

i liked gustavo a lot. multi instrumentalist who brought a lot of energy to otherwise very lackluster ( to be kind) later songs. i love moz, and nothing but respect for his body of work, but he is so tapped out it isnt funny. he literally is the guy that "25 years ago morrissey" would be ripping to shreds for banality.

My gut feeling is that the roots of Jesse's sense of entitlement - for lack of a better word - chiefly came from:

1. All four of the Ringleader singles were chosen from his co-writes - this after Alain had contributed co-writes to all four Quarry singles.
2. Morrissey featuring him on camera - at points awkwardly - for the Les Inrockuptibles interview at the time of Ringleader's release. He allowed Th'Lads to sit in on the Hangin' With MTV interview in 1992 but - to my knowledge -he never "featured" Alain or Boz in such a notable way. The effect, intentional or not, was "here's my favorite."

I know M claimed in Autobiography that his friendship with Alain "curdled" - but Alain was on the record in interviews at the time that he was glad to be asked back for Ringleader and wanted to tour in spite of his efforts to launch Red Lightning at the time. I can't blame Jesse for ingratiating himself to Morrissey and, to some degree, a true friendship has developed over time. But it cannot be overlooked that those choices/developments had to deal a negative blow to Morrissey's partnership with Alain. Plus, if the rumors are true that Boz "dismissed" Alain from the Refusal sessions, there can only be one source of the directive.
In Autobio, the impression I got was that Tobias arrived at a time when Morrissey privately felt that the line-up had gotten stale - Maladjusted had been criticised, they'd gone a long time without a label, he'd had pressure from labels to drop band members, he was getting sick of internal rivalries, etc. Maybe he never said this openly so the idea of things 'curdling' seemed to come out of the blue, but I think issues had been building for a long time. He writes about the media perception of the band as being "they weren't as good as the Smiths or even worth much in their own right" and you get the sense that he absorbed that view in the 1990s and almost blamed them for the situation he was in. Then suddenly, he had a shiny and new colleague who seemed to be pandering to him a lot more, who had a different 'sound'... I think Jesse exploited a moment in time, he picked up on that weariness and wedged himself in there. Then - if the Anons are to be believed - he played the long game, moving the chess pieces bit by bit, waiting.

Last edited:
In Autobio, the impression I got was that Tobias arrived at a time when Morrissey privately felt that the line-up had gotten stale - Maladjusted had been criticised, they'd gone a long time without a label, he'd had pressure from labels to drop band members, he was getting sick of internal rivalries, etc. Maybe he never said this openly so the idea of things 'curdling' seemed to come out of the blue, but I think issues had been building for a long time. He writes about the media perception of the band as being "they weren't as good as the Smiths or even worth much in their own right" and you get the sense that he absorbed that view in the 1990s and almost blamed them for the situation he was in. Then suddenly, he had a shiny and new colleague who seemed to be pandering to him a lot more, who had a different 'sound'... I think Jesse exploited a moment in time, he picked up on that weariness and wedged himself in there. Then - if the Anons are to be believed - he played the long game, moving the chess pieces bit by bit, waiting.
You make some good points. I have never been a Jesse basher and a lot of his songs are some of my favourites. I Am Not A Dog On A Chain is one of the best albums Morrissey has ever done in my opinion and Jesse wrote most of the tracks.

But now after having my hopes dashed of Alain injecting new much needed juice into Morrissey's songwriting veins I now find myself waiting in hopes that Jesse will leave the band if for nothing else than to leave Morrissey alone long enough to wake the f*** up and breathe new fresh air into his career.

Now you’re making me think that Jesse was behind the open letter to Marr. He might have Egged Moz on after a few drinks, to make sure Marr never came knocking again.

I don't know what you're basing the first statement on. When Boz's "Tour Diary" used to be available on his old website, Alain had been in contact with Boz and Lyn between his departure after Dublin Castle and prior to the UK festival dates in August 2004 then subsequently prior to the U.S. tour in fall 2004. I recall Boz saying he was "raring to go," or something to that effect. Alain had had some combination of personal and health issues that prevented him from continuing the tour - it wasn't from any lack of desire.

And he didn't just write "a few pieces" on Refusal: he wrote five tracks to Boz's and Jesse's three apiece, as well as three contemporary B-sides (if you include "My Dearest Love," which was recorded at the same time) and at least four other unfinished tracks ("Teresa, Teresa," "I'm Looking Forward To Going Back," "When I Was Young," "I Was Bully, Do Not Forget Me"). Per usual, Alain's co-writes comprised the vast majority - essentially, a full album's worth of material in all. To be excluded from performing on that much of one's material had to be more than a bit galling, especially after the the goodwill/faith Your Arsenal, Vauxhall And I and You Are The Quarry alone should have merited.
Well, I don't know where you see a possible contradiction in what I said. Boz's entries from 2004 are subjective and Boz struck me more as is a diplomat who doesn't actually throw oil on the fire. In his autobiography, as you also mention, Morrissey lists the disputes between the two songwriters and Alain's desire to appear on the cover alongside Morrissey as things that bothered him.
After almost 20 years, it seems like maybe Alain wanted to be more than just the handsome gitarrist and songwriter at Morrissey's side; more like a Johnny Marr. After 2004, however, there was no way back into the band because Tobias and Boorer loyally stood by their employer. An assumption and perhaps also a misinterpretation but the great humility at the Lockdown sessions actually said: here I am if you need me. It's the first time I've heard that Boorer didn't want him to be there for the recordings in 2008/2009.

Last edited:
See also dancing intimately with Jesse in the 'Ganglord' video. Clearly, Morrissey has seen something in Jesse from the start, and always looked upon him with favour. What that attraction is, and whether it's based on his musical contributions/guitar playing ability or just that Moz likes the image of 'a bit of rough', who knows?
It must be his teeth, hair and skin.
:unsure:

Now you’re making me think that Jesse was behind the open letter to Marr. He might have Egged Moz on after a few drinks, to make sure Marr never came knocking again.
Of course he was, he couldn't even hide his glee. "Mess with the bull, get the horns" etc. He loved it. Morrissey should have known better, and he should have spoken to Johnny privately rather than being goaded into that. He paid a price for it in more ways than one - not just ending any hopes of reconciliation with Johnny but bringing a huge backlash down on himself online, looking like a petulant fool. A good friend would not have encouraged that.

Last edited:
Nah, the backlash had started already years before that. If anything Marr thwarted any hopes of reconciliation by taking the press’ side rather than say anything in support of Moz when he was being crucified for his supposed ‘views’.

Alain on the other hand, like others, always stayed true to Moz and he therefore did reconcile and get back into the band.

Right. They only played 2 songs. Maybe those were the 2 Morrissey was most eager to play and just happened to be Jesse's co-writes?
I think WMTWD is actually a Manzur co-write but anyway, and that Morrissey was keen to pass that message. The setlist is indeed based on songs that Morrissey feels like singing at a given point, reflecting his mood and his favorite punchlines of the moment.

yeah, don’t know about cynical, others would probably call him a prick for doing so, lol.

But getting back to your other post, I actually think Morrissey didn’t choose an Alain song on the last tour simply because he believed that that is what was expected he do by his fans. In the same way he didn’t play the song ‘Paris’ while performing in Paris.
And in that very same vein, he didn’t play Notre Dame in Paris: a song about Paris and an AW co- write.

I actually think regardless of his situation with the touring band, we're going to hear some more Alain songs on the new tour. 'Without Music ' is in the can, and whilst there is no sign of it ever being released to the public Moz always thinks his most recent album is the best ever and will want to play stuff from it, same as he did with 'Bonfire' last year.

In his autobiography, as you also mention, Morrissey lists the disputes between the two songwriters and Alain's desire to appear on the cover alongside Morrissey as things that bothered him.
Even the most ardent appreciator of Morrissey knows that he is an unreliable narrator. I question that the anecdote of Alain desiring to be a cover co-star has any basis in reality. It stretches credulity.
It's the first time I've heard that Boorer didn't want him to be there for the recordings in 2008/2009.

You misunderstood my phrasing: Boz was sent to do the deed but Morrissey was the one making such a call - a la JM and Ken Friedman. It's been brought up dozens of time on Solo and, if I recall correctly, was confirmed off the record by a "big nose who knows" close to the inner circle.

Even the most ardent appreciator of Morrissey knows that he is an unreliable narrator. I question that the anecdote of Alain desiring to be a cover co-star has any basis in reality. It stretches credulity.

You misunderstood my phrasing: Boz was sent to do the deed but Morrissey was the one making such a call - a la JM and Ken Friedman. It's been brought up dozens of time on Solo and, if I recall correctly, was confirmed off the record by a "big nose who knows" close to the inner circle.
Ok. Sometimes I think I've dealt with a lot since the 90s, but there are still more than enough people who are closer to it. I really misunderstood about Boz n Moz. Sorry.
Still, I think that at some point after the first comeback in 2002-2004 and the instant hit IBEH, Alain Whyte hoped for more than his eternal sidekick existence. Even if it was only secretly. Possibly he also stumbled over this in May 2004 mentally. Perhaps Tobias is more frugal and socially compatible (an absurdity) for his employer.
As I said: pure speculation

Wait, what?
I stepped out for a few weeks and band members have left??
Someone please summarise what's happened with Gustavo, Alain and the dynamic.
Just as the lineup was really gelling...

Nah, the backlash had started already years before that. If anything Marr thwarted any hopes of reconciliation by taking the press’ side rather than say anything in support of Moz when he was being crucified for his supposed ‘views’.

Alain on the other hand, like others, always stayed true to Moz and he therefore did reconcile and get back into the band.
It had, but the open letter didn't help. It just meant that as well as being depicted as an angry, out of touch, bigoted loudmouth ruining his own legacy, Moz got to be all that and a horrible git antagonising the other Smith, the nice Smith that everyone likes. It made everything worse. And the reason it felt 'egged on' was that even though Moz has long held gripes like that, all his reference points in that letter were years out of date. He couldn't come up with anything of substance that Johnny had actually said - just banged on about Golden Lights when Johnny hadn't mentioned it in years. It made him look bitter and a bit daft, like he was nursing grudges about things that nobody else understood, spoiling for a fight when nobody wanted one. If he said that stuff privately, Johnny could have reassured him and that would have been it.

It had, but the open letter didn't help. It just meant that as well as being depicted as an angry, out of touch, bigoted loudmouth ruining his own legacy, Moz got to be all that and a horrible git antagonising the other Smith, the nice Smith that everyone likes. It made everything worse. And the reason it felt 'egged on' was that even though Moz has long held gripes like that, all his reference points in that letter were years out of date. He couldn't come up with anything of substance that Johnny had actually said - just banged on about Golden Lights when Johnny hadn't mentioned it in years. It made him look bitter and a bit daft, like he was nursing grudges about things that nobody else understood, spoiling for a fight when nobody wanted one. If he said that stuff privately, Johnny could have reassured him and that would have been it.
That’s your opinion, I definitely don’t agree with it. It was a well phrased letter urging Johnny to stop letting himself be used for clickbait reasons only. Saying terrible things like ‘I don’t share M’s views’, ‘we were never friends in the first place’ and to top it all ‘that guy in Modest Mouse is the best lyricist I worked with’ :rolleyes:

The letter was fine, and said what needed to be said. Johnny response on the other hand, comparing Morrissey to Trump, was typically lazy and below the belt.

That’s your opinion, I definitely don’t agree with it. It was a well phrased letter urging Johnny to stop letting himself be used for clickbait reasons only. Saying terrible things like ‘I don’t share M’s views’, ‘we were never friends in the first place’ and to top it all ‘that guy in Modest Mouse is the best lyricist I worked with’ :rolleyes:

The letter was fine, and said what needed to be said. Johnny response on the other hand, comparing Morrissey to Trump, was typically lazy and below the belt.
Personally, I’d have said much more and much worse than Moz, and I love Johnny too to be honest.

It needed to be said

Back
Top Bottom