Morrissey mention in Pete Doherty/McCartney interview

M-in-Oz

Hope this hasn't been posted already....Pete Doherty interviewed Paul McCartney for the Observer & there are a couple of Morrissey/Smiths references

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/story/0,,2187761,00.html

Here's the best of it...

Pete: What about the Smiths?

Sir Paul: Yeah, I like them. Linda was into Morrissey; they wrote to each other a lot. Big fans. I played with Johnny [Marr] a bit. It was original.

Pete: Falling guitar lines where there's no chords and you spend three weeks trying to work out what he's really playing.

Sir Paul: You could tell it was Morrissey. It was like his paint palette ... [Pete starts singing the Smiths song 'Still Ill'.]

Sir Paul: [appreciatively] Have you ever covered that?

Pete: No.

Sir Paul: It's obviously a song you love. It's in your blood.

Pete: I got it as a seven-inch from a second-hand shop in Nuneaton. It was on the wall, and I thought I was being clever, 'cause I nicked it - but I'd only nicked the sleeve. So I had to go back and pay for the record. As soon as the guitar started, I didn't even listen to the rest of it, I just wanted to play it again and again. I didn't want it to end ...

Thanks so much for this link!

Sir Paul: Yeah, I like them. Linda was into Morrissey; they wrote to each other a lot. Big fans. I played with Johnny [Marr] a bit. It was original.

Sweet mother of god. Linda McCartney & Morrissey, pen pals?!?

Pete: Falling guitar lines where there's no chords and you spend three weeks trying to work out what he's really playing.

Sir Paul: You could tell it was Morrissey. It was like his paint palette ... [Pete starts singing the Smiths song 'Still Ill'.]

My heart skipped a beat when I mis-read that as Paul singing "Still Ill." I'd f***ING KILL to hear that!

Pete: I got it as a seven-inch from a second-hand shop in Nuneaton. It was on the wall, and I thought I was being clever, 'cause I nicked it - but I'd only nicked the sleeve. So I had to go back and pay for the record. As soon as the guitar started, I didn't even listen to the rest of it, I just wanted to play it again and again. I didn't want it to end ...

Spot the inaccuracy here.

Does anybody else get the impression that when Paul mentions Morrissey, he's really thinking about Johnny?

The Beatles = my first love.

Peter Doherty = probably the most important songwriter of my generation.

Still Ill = my favourite Smiths song. or generally my favourite song.

this means incredibly much to me..

(i wish they wouldn´t have interropted when paul was talking of sharing a bed with john.. i´m sure pete was DYING to tell some more stories about him and carl!)

Have you ever heard her play piano? QUOTE]

they can go for a talk where it's quiet and dry, and talk about precious
things

the real 'not right in the head' celibate

ps I don't give a damn what Pete things of who, I use to like him, but
I'm fed up how he's using the press with his negative lifestyle the past year

It'l be soon when the UK media is done with Pete, it will be the same kinda
way they stabbed Morrissey, calling him a rascist, at least Morrissey has/had the courage and strenght to survive it.
Whatever they put on Pete, it will ruin him, cause Pete's nothing without
a bit of media attention...and he don't have that inner strength to ignore
when everyone puts him down, I read stories about the early Libertine
days, when he lived with Carl, and Pete's a real sissy and definately not that confident/arrogant he likes to mislead people with
The drugs won't work Pete when your out there alone

and Shotters Nation sucks, heard it a few days, when it was listed on
the FAMOUS Dutch 3-voor-12 website, and everyone could listen to
it in whole, as they do with almost any release, 3 times a week refereshed.
edit

I bet Pete 'nicked'that sleeve at a recordshop on a saturday morning when
the 16 year old, part time worker, had her 5 minute toilet qualitly time [smoking a
fag] and nobody else was around

Last edited:
P.S.

Don't talk to shit to me about Pete's clean cause he's been in rehab

You guys/girls dunno what yer talking about when it comes to addiction.

Rehab is just a physical clean up [which is at least 3 weeks, which Pete
never was, he can't even stay in Rehab for a week]

Addiction is a serious mentall illness, which you need clinical terapy for
at least between 9 and 15 months, and when you done that you go to
living comunities who're are in the cities/towns, so you can learn how
to handle things out of the clinic, just live a normal life with its up and
downs, this is about half a year.
After that you get yer own appartment, but yer still supervised and being
controlled at least one time a week
This can last from only half a year to 2 or more years, it depends how
much time it cost to have your life on the rails again [in a positive way]
which mean day time activity, and getting comfy a new social surrounding
and more things

I won't go further, but I tell you that the battle never stops

so the news Pete's being in rehab about 3 times a week, I laugh out
loud when people here mention that and meaning it's Ok with Pete.

Thanks so much for this link!

Sweet mother of god. Linda McCartney & Morrissey, pen pals?!?

I was shocked as well. I found out in 2005 I think, because PETA gave Morrissey the Linda McCartney award for his contribution to animal rights etc, and he mentioned they were pen pals for about 3 years, I work it out as 1994-1997/8 :)

My heart skipped a beat when I mis-read that as Paul singing "Still Ill." I'd f***ING KILL to hear that!

So would I!! :D

Does anybody else get the impression that when Paul mentions Morrissey, he's really thinking about Johnny?

Yeah, he seemed to be under the impression that Morrissey played guitar as well. Pete talks about 'falling guitar lines' and Paul says "You could tell it was Morrissey". Moz said nice things about Paul when they were both in the top 10 for that Greatest Living British Icon thing, I think the main connection is the veggie-link.

i read the thing about linda playing piano on Frankly Mr Shankly in an interview with johnny on the 20th anniversaty of The Queen Is Dead.. and he also added in the end "it was probably better that way"..

dear celibate, i wasn´t trying to "give you shit" about anything.
i spent way too much of my time in the past three or four years thinking about Peter Doherty and i´m not trying to defend the way he behaves towards the press..
and still, i don´t think his career will depend on them.. they pretty much did all they could to destroy him in the last two years, some of the stories were just cruel, but in the end, when it comes to his music, there will always either be independant music magazines who only judge him for his music or people who want to see him as a tortured genius inspite of it all..

besides that, say, have you listened to his lyrics? then why on earth would you think that he´s trying to come across as tough? who on earth would buy that? of the early days with carl, he once said "i used to tell him he was great and he told me i was shit.. that´s how it worked".. pete is rather looking to be the "sensitive poet" if you ask me..

and yeah, i might not know from experience what it´s like being addicted to hard drugs, but i do know that it takes a lot more that a detox or several rehab stints a week for two weeks to get clean.. that´s why added the "(ha..)" at the end.. even though i still like pete a lot (and apparently enough to write such a long reply), i´ve seen this in and out of rehab thing too many times.. i wish him all the best though, i hope he´ll have the determination and endurance to pull through this time..

i read the thing about linda playing piano on Frankly Mr Shankly in an interview with johnny on the 20th anniversaty of The Queen Is Dead.. and he also added in the end "it was probably better that way"..

dear celibate, i wasn´t trying to "give you shit" about anything.
i spent way too much of my time in the past three or four years thinking about Peter Doherty and i´m not trying to defend the way he behaves towards the press..
and still, i don´t think his career will depend on them.. they pretty much did all they could to destroy him in the last two years, some of the stories were just cruel, but in the end, when it comes to his music, there will always either be independant music magazines who only judge him for his music or people who want to see him as a tortured genius inspite of it all..

besides that, say, have you listened to his lyrics? then why on earth would you think that he´s trying to come across as tough? who on earth would buy that? of the early days with carl, he once said "i used to tell him he was great and he told me i was shit.. that´s how it worked".. pete is rather looking to be the "sensitive poet" if you ask me..

and yeah, i might not know from experience what it´s like being addicted to hard drugs, but i do know that it takes a lot more that a detox or several rehab stints a week for two weeks to get clean.. that´s why added the "(ha..)" at the end.. even though i still like pete a lot (and apparently enough to write such a long reply), i´ve seen this in and out of rehab thing too many times.. i wish him all the best though, i hope he´ll have the determination and endurance to pull through this time..

sorry, for me venomous rant against Pete
[well it was nmbr 23, I'm the Pete basher on solo]

my message is mere that Pete , being in the media/papers almost daily,
is a rolemodel.
So lots of young people think it's cool smoke crack and use drugs,
living on the streets, etc.
Most of those youngsters come from bad social parts of the cities in the
UK, and feel already less than an average Uk youngster
So basicly I'm saying Pete's behaviour is a bad example for a generation
of youngsters, who're having a troublesome time already cause the
age their in [between 14-21], searching for their identy/future/etc,.

Originally Posted by M-in-Oz

-------------------------

No inaccuracy mate. Still Ill was given away as a 7" promo I think back in they day. It is quite the collectable item.

sorry, for me venomous rant against Pete
[well it was nmbr 23, I'm the Pete basher on solo]

my message is mere that Pete , being in the media/papers almost daily,
is a rolemodel.
So lots of young people think it's cool smoke crack and use drugs,
living on the streets, etc.
Most of those youngsters come from bad social parts of the cities in the
UK, and feel already less than an average Uk youngster
So basicly I'm saying Pete's behaviour is a bad example for a generation
of youngsters, who're having a troublesome time already cause the
age their in [between 14-21], searching for their identy/future/etc,.

i agree, but pete is hardly the first rockstar to take drugs, is he? there are a lot of teenagers still walking around with Nirvana t-shirts and i´m sure they are aware that Kurt Cobain was also addicted to heroin.
as you said, drug addiction is an illness that can´t simply be cured by a short stint in rehab.. and i don´t think it´s fair that peter´s being portrayed as the root of all evil because he´s a junkie and makes music that young people find solace in.. i agree it is dangerous if drugs are glamourised but i think it´s mainly the tabloids who publicise his drugtaking that are to blame that it´s so in the foreground of everyone´s mind.. before he started dating kate moss, few people even cared about him and the people who listened to his music surely got into him because of his music and his lyrics and not because of his shambolic lifestyle..

wasn`t david bowie a heroin addict in his young days.Iggy pop was a big heroin addict.

a big Yes Sir

also Lou Reed, and IMHO all people of the Velvet Underground and Warholds comunity

Morrissey's beloved Nico is also famous for her heroine addiction [she's
dead ]

Also the members of the Rolling Stones, Marianne Faithfull

The singer of the red hot chili peppers,John Frusciante, Flea, Dave Gahan

and I could go on

wasn`t david bowie a heroin addict in his young days.Iggy pop was a big heroin addict.

Yes Sir

but I forgot Morrissey's idolised punk band the new york dolls with
junkie Johnny Thunders

also ex Smiths Andy Rourke

Patti Smith [also admired by Morrissey]

and now I stop

[OK 1 more, Morrisseys lover Jake Walters [in the early 90's ,was
a heroin user, that's a part of the reason they parted, also that Jake
wasn't really faithfull to Morrissey,he seemed to had sexual relations in
the time he was with Morrissey]

Sunny is credited to be about a boxer named Sunny Liston, who became
an addict and ODéd, but we Morrissey apostles don't get fooled cause its about Jake

Last edited:
I wonder if they were smoking crack and stuff during the interview?

I actually thought it was Paul McCartney who said he stole the Smiths record. That would have been a better story.

a big Yes Sir

also Lou Reed, and IMHO all people of the Velvet Underground and Warholds comunity

Morrissey's beloved Nico is also famous for her heroine addiction [she's
dead ]

Also the members of the Rolling Stones, Marianne Faithfull

The singer of the red hot chili peppers,John Frusciante, Flea, Dave Gahan

and I could go on

I have never read about heroin in reference to David Bowie. He was more into cocaine. But the thing is that David Bowie and the rest of those people were famous musicians who used drugs. Pete Doherty is a famous drug addict who makes music.

I have never read about heroin in reference to David Bowie. He was more into cocaine. But the thing is that David Bowie and the rest of those people were famous musicians who used drugs. Pete Doherty is a famous drug addict who makes music.

In his 'Ziggy' period Bowie used heroin, in that period he got friendly with
Iggy , who was a well known heroin addict
Bowie also hanged around Warholds community around his 'Ziggy' period,
and I definately know that's it's well know fact that Bowie used heroin
with Lou Reed [and the people around Lou]

Later he went on with cocaine.
His former wife Angie wrote a book where she mentioned Bowie's cocaine
addiction.
IMHO was the model [now his wife] Noami Cambell also a cocaine user,
at the time they became friendly

[btw, now I think of it, is Naomi still married to Bowie?]

and I didn't even start with Freddy Mercury and Elton John [one is really