Morrissey Hot Press magazine interview out now

An anonymous person writes:

Issue is out just picked it up in Dublin - very good insightful interview; usual topics covered also says Jesse Tobias is one of the modern world's greatest guitarists...no confirmation on O2 date yet. Recent health issue was "acute fever" and needed a heroin based medication to stabilise him!

11956982_Web-Res-Morrissey-Cover-3814.jpg

INSIDE THE NEW HOT PRESS: MORRISSEY - Hot Press. Link posted by Uncleskinny
A world exclusive with the one and only Morrissey, plus Ryan Adams, Rankin, Eli Roth, John Slattery and more...

Excerpt:

Our ridiculously star-studded run of summer issues continues this fortnight. Gracing our cover this issue – and looking extremely cool we must say – is the icon that is Morrissey.
Always a bit wary of the press, the Mancunian star talks exclusively to Hot Press as his new album World Peace Is None Of Your Business kicks Mozzamania into gear.

On the agenda? Global politics, his new album, the Royal Family, Tony Blair, Brendan Behan, Bashar al-Assad and much more, while he opens up about his recent health issues for the first time.

UPDATE 3:26PM PT:

Scans (page 1, 2, 3, 4) posted by @_nowhere_fast_ / Twitter. Link posted by MozRecording, Chickpea.

Related media:

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
I will have to pay some more attention to the Hollywood High crowd next time I watch. It didn’t seem that bad to me. I also still say I like “Action is My Middle Name” and “People are the Same Everywhere”. I know I’m in the minority (I will say of the 4 studio songs on there, “Scandinavia” is def the best)

Yes...the whole interview was very agreeable...and fun.

Agreed: it was downright breezy (for Morrissey anyway).

On Hollywood: "Yes, it's all so seductive and full of nice smells and fluffy towels and fake propriety." Accurate and funny.

Agreed: it was downright breezy (for Morrissey anyway).

On Hollywood: "Yes, it's all so seductive and full of nice smells and fluffy towels and fake propriety." Accurate and funny.

Yes.....

I just finished the newspaper.....three cups of coffee, "Istanbul" is playing loudly in the living room, a tragic song...but I feel like dancing.

Only Morrissey can do that.....to me anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
A 10 year old photo on the cover? That's odd.

There's no real flow to the questions and answers so I'm assuming it was not done in person but via email (or is that obvious?) - in person would presumably have included fresh photographs

There's no real flow to the questions and answers so I'm assuming it was not done in person but via email (or is that obvious?) - in person would presumably have included fresh photographs

In A London hotel, face to face.

I thought it was done via email, but the introductory paragraph reads:

"In sparkling form as he kicks back in a London hotel..."

Apropos nowt, I'm watching a recording of The Joy Of The Riff, and they use This Charming Man as an example. Totally joyous.

I'm assuming it was not done in person but via email (or is that obvious?)

I was wondering that too. If it was done in person he sure is an elegant speaker on the fly.

That was one of the most disjointed interviews I've ever read.

Hot Press is in need of a good editor.

As for its contents and reveals? Nothing new under the sun: just a handful of softball questions. Nothing challenging.

I will have to pay some more attention to the Hollywood High crowd next time I watch. It didn’t seem that bad to me. I also still say I like “Action is My Middle Name” and “People are the Same Everywhere”. I know I’m in the minority (I will say of the 4 studio songs on there, “Scandinavia” is def the best)

I too thought the crowd was good. The front row were always trying to touch him. The young boy getting on stage was a nice touch; hope it wasn't 'arranged' in advance. To the person who ignorantly said I don't go to many Moz concerts: I've been going to his concerts since 1991 and have indeed witnessed mass hysteria. I was at Alain Whyte's final concert in Dublin Castle and Morrissey broke down for one second when he reached the line 'haven't you me with you now?' at the end of 'America is not the world'. He cried for approx. 2 seconds at that point but the manic crowd barely noticed.
Hollywood High wasn't like that but I wouldn't expect that fevered pitch as much any more.
I can say one thing for non US audiences: they don't spout inane drivel when handed the microphone by Moz. Well sometimes they do, but I assume they are from the US :squiffy:

I too thought the crowd was good. The front row were always trying to touch him. The young boy getting on stage was a nice touch; hope it wasn't 'arranged' in advance. To the person who ignorantly said I don't go to many Moz concerts: I've been going to his concerts since 1991 and have indeed witnessed mass hysteria. I was at Alain Whyte's final concert in Dublin Castle and Morrissey broke down for one second when he reached the line 'haven't you me with you now?' at the end of 'America is not the world'. He cried for approx. 2 seconds at that point but the manic crowd barely noticed.
Hollywood High wasn't like that but I wouldn't expect that fevered pitch as much any more.
I can say one thing for non US audiences: they don't spout inane drivel when handed the microphone by Moz. Well sometimes they do, but I assume they are from the US :squiffy:

I think its the freedom of religion thing. Coupled with freedom of speech. Moz is their god and they want to let him know and feel it is their right to do it publicly. Non-American fans are a little more subdued and less demonstrative in other communication arenas as well, no?

What's so great about the constitution? The right to bear arms? Sorry but I'll pass. However, as insulting as I am I must admit that he probably likes the US for many reasons, and I don't blame him for wanting to avoid the drizzle and basically crap weather in the UK and Ireland 9 months a year (sometimes all 12). I'm sure he has some good friends in the US too, and in fairness the audience is receptive. The adoration at the 'Hollywood High' concert was a joy to behold.

The problem with the constitution is that it isn't followed any more. All right to bear arms aside, all the so-called protections of individual freedoms have been bypassed long ago. Sure, you can spend a million dollars in a high court to defend a right that should be yours constitutionally. Hence my original point.

I could be wrong but I believe "the grass is greener on the other side" thought process occurs to a great many people, including Morrissey. Just for myself, despite the privilege of being born into a first world nation, I grew up enamoured by certain aspects of the culture coming from the UK and Japan. Doesn't mean I hate on my own country. But I have often found the overwhelming majority of American stereotypes boil down to the gun-blazing, bible-toting, Nascar-loving Christian Vs. the pretentious, pseudo-concerned, atheist liberal - complete with new model VW Bug, Apple-product everything, latte, and ironic fashion accessories.

Hasty generalizations to be sure. But the point is, majority culture in America sucks balls. As most younger generation probably, I can't watch TV at all. I can't stomach 5 seconds of the fake TV news and commercials of so-called normal successful people. And yet, I have found amazing people in the subculture. And that probably goes for everywhere else. People just gravitate towards what they like and try to avoid the world full of crashing bores. And I could be one.

I think a common theme for many Morrissey fans, regardless of their country of origin, is that they identify strongly with not fitting in to the status quo. And rather than don a trench coat, strap a loaded gun, and commit mass murder, they find more emotional outlet - as Morrissey has given plenty of opportunity through the years.

I think a common theme for many Morrissey fans, regardless of their country of origin, is that they identify strongly with not fitting in to the status quo. And rather than don a trench coat, strap a loaded gun, and commit mass murder, they find more emotional outlet - as Morrissey has given plenty of opportunity through the years.

Well said.

The problem with the constitution is that it isn't followed any more. All right to bear arms aside, all the so-called protections of individual freedoms have been bypassed long ago. Sure, you can spend a million dollars in a high court to defend a right that should be yours constitutionally. Hence my original point.

I could be wrong but I believe "the grass is greener on the other side" thought process occurs to a great many people, including Morrissey. Just for myself, despite the privilege of being born into a first world nation, I grew up enamoured by certain aspects of the culture coming from the UK and Japan. Doesn't mean I hate on my own country. But I have often found the overwhelming majority of American stereotypes boil down to the gun-blazing, bible-toting, Nascar-loving Christian Vs. the pretentious, pseudo-concerned, atheist liberal - complete with new model VW Bug, Apple-product everything, latte, and ironic fashion accessories.

Hasty generalizations to be sure. But the point is, majority culture in America sucks balls. As most younger generation probably, I can't watch TV at all. I can't stomach 5 seconds of the fake TV news and commercials of so-called normal successful people. And yet, I have found amazing people in the subculture. And that probably goes for everywhere else. People just gravitate towards what they like and try to avoid the world full of crashing bores. And I could be one.

Most Americans, humans, do not commit mass murder. They don't need Morrissey to prevent them from behaving psychotically. You name two stereotypes. And forget the rest of Americans who do not fall into those extreme camps. You glamorize other cultures at the expense of loving your own. You are a self-hating American. Not much different from the hipster, self-hating liberal you mentioned. Just not as hip.

Most Americans, humans, do not commit mass murder. They don't need Morrissey to prevent them from behaving psychotically. You name two stereotypes. And forget the rest of Americans who do not fall into those extreme camps. You glamorize other cultures at the expense of loving your own. You are a self-hating American. Not much different from the hipster, self-hating liberal you mentioned. Just not as hip.

I wasn't suggesting that most humans do commit mass murder. Where was that? Although the alien visitors to our world may disagree with you. Incidentally, been to Chicago lately?

Yes, I named two overgeneralized, fictionalized stereotypes. I also stated that I have found amazing people, as they exist everywhere. But I renounce Nationalism in any form. It's counter-productive, mindless garbage. What is so patriotic of 9/11 - Patriots day?

People can love other nations and cultures of people without hating their own. The things I dislike, I am certain to see more of in America because I am here. Hence the grass is greener. I think you are glossing over the main point in an effort to trivialize this in defense of whom?

But I can't argue with having dealt with plenty of self-hatred. Nor should you, judging by the number of vitriolic posts you've made.

I wasn't suggesting that most humans do commit mass murder. Where was that? Although the alien visitors to our world may disagree with you. Incidentally, been to Chicago lately?

Yes, I named two overgeneralized, fictionalized stereotypes. I also stated that I have found amazing people, as they exist everywhere. But I renounce Nationalism in any form. It's counter-productive, mindless garbage. What is so patriotic of 9/11 - Patriots day?

People can love other nations and cultures of people without hating their own. The things I dislike, I am certain to see more of in America because I am here. Hence the grass is greener. I think you are glossing over the main point in an effort to trivialize this in defense of whom?

But I can't argue with having dealt with plenty of self-hatred. Nor should you, judging by the number of vitriolic posts you've made.

I wouldn't say those stereotypes are fiction. They do exist. My posts critiquing opposing ideologies do not stem from self-hatred. They arise from critical thinking in action.

i gotta agree with you about the news. ever since they allowed conglomerates to own media outlets the tv news has really really gone down hill. the up side is that its helped lead to a boom in local new or more regional news.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom